KV-27FS120 Service Menu Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-24-2011, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, guy's it's been awhile since I last visited but I recently picked up a Sony Trinitron KV-27FS120 and I'm getting back into retro gaming. I Have my Sega Genesis connected through a Scart to Component Box the picture is gorgeous but the set is not displaying the entire picture on the edge there's a bit of chopping. Which is pretty annoying whatever the dominate color is displayed on back ground it fills in the edges.

Now I thought it was just my set but this is a well known problem I don't know the terminology for it but it occurs on my LCD as well but it's easily fixed because I have an option to adjust the display area, -1 hides those dreaded edges.

Can I do something in the services menu to help out with this? If so can someone post a walk through of what I need to do I heard messing with the service menu can cause damage to your set if you don't know what you are doing. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-25-2011, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The problem is not so dreaded but it exists with all tubes. Most broadcasts have dealt with this for years now, it's called overscan. The service menu may or may not have an adjustment that you can make in order to correct this, but I do not know this model and have never used its service menu so I cannot say.

The only word of advice I can give you is that if you pursue this via the service menu, write down every setting and/or take a photograph of every setting before making ANY changes at all. Every tube is unique with its service menu settings, so if you screw something up and forget multiple settings, there is no way for you to get back to where you started without this information written down, unless of course you have a completely photographic memory.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-25-2011, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

The problem is not so dreaded but it exists with all tubes. Most broadcasts have dealt with this for years now, it's called overscan. The service menu may or may not have an adjustment that you can make in order to correct this, but I do not know this model and have never used its service menu so I cannot say.

The only word of advice I can give you is that if you pursue this via the service menu, write down every setting and/or take a photograph of every setting before making ANY changes at all. Every tube is unique with its service menu settings, so if you screw something up and forget multiple settings, there is no way for you to get back to where you started without this information written down, unless of course you have a completely photographic memory.

Thanks liquid for pointing out the problem I was having I went into the service menu and adjusted image it was under te DEF option HSIZ and VSIZ is what I tweaked a little and now ts perfect! Thanks again!
post #4 of 5 Old 12-25-2011, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Glad you got it going. Be sure and keep the settings that you wrote down somewhere because you may find the need to adjust it again for other video sources if the borders do not align the same. No other tube, even one of the same model as yours, has the same factory settings so just having this information, even though you have changed it to your satisfaction, is priceless.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-25-2011, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Yes.. luckily I have a way around writing the settings so if I screw up something It's no biggy I learned that if I adjust anything within the service menu and don't write it to memory it still saves as long as there's power running to the TV even when it's powered off.

Now if I want to reset the service menu back to normal I'll I have to do is hit the power switch in the room to off. ^^'
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays