Sony KV-32HV600 vs kv-32hs420 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-28-2011, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I am unemployed and had to sell my Plasma HDTV a year ago to pay bills. I am tired of not having an HDTV so I decided to get a cheap used one off Craigslist. Well, most people overprice their TV's so I am thinking about getting one of these TV's since I found the KV32HV600 for $35 and it comes with a stand and is 25 minutes away. The other TV kv-32hs420 is more but I emailed him the $35 one I found so I am sure he will come down in price and he is closer to me but no stand which I don't really care about because I still have the stand to my XBR700 I used to have.

I think both TV's can fit in my car since I don't know anyone with a truck. I have a friend that can help me lift either one. I have done some research and the only difference I can see is that the 32hs420 has HDMI where the other one has DVI but I can also get the DVI to HMDI connector so I'm not worried. Neither has built in digital tuners but that's okay since I have a digital box anyway for my SDTV I currently have. Both support 720p too I think so I'm all set there.

What is your expert advice on which TV is better? I know $35 is not a lot of money at all but these things are heavy and my friend already hates that he has to help my poor butt with a heavy TV so I want to make sure I get the best one. All the plasmas and LCDs on craigslist have owners that either don't realize how much new HDTV's have come done in price or don't care. Cheapest one I found was a 32 inch LCD for $80 but no HDMI or DVI. I did find a 40 inch LCD for $60 but the guy refuses to give me the model number. I will keep looking for lighter TV's but so far, these 2 are ones I can afford. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-28-2011, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The 32HV600 is a few years older than the 32HS420 so it may have done more hours and might not handle scaling and colour as well. The only obvious advantage to the HV600 would be its bigger speakers including a subwoofer, which is probably why its heavier.

If you plan on watching HD you may have an easier time just buying a 16:9 set
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinitron_WEGA
Somebody was selling a 30XS955 for $50.

Quote:

Both support 720p too I think so I'm all set there.

Supporting a 720p signal and displaying 720p are two different things. As far as I know all mainstream Sony HD CRTs scaled 720p60 to either 540p or 1080i. They were made with 1080i in mind.

You'll need to deal to red push and overscan in the service menu as both were very bad out of the box with these models.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-28-2011, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. The 600 owner claims the TV was in the guest room so it was not used a lot.

I'd rather get a 16x9 believe me but I can't find anything cheaper than a 30 inch Samsung CRT for $40 and that guy has not gotten back to me in 2 days and is about an hour away. Everyone in the Orange County/LA area wants like $100 or more for their 32 inch LCDs or really old projection or DLP tvs. I mean, I can get a 50 inch LCD HDTV made in like 2006 for around $80 but I cant fit that in my car and I don't know anyone with a truck and since funds are really really tight, I am kind of limited on my options.

This link http://www.epinions.com/specs/pr-Son...rd_Televisions

says it supports 720p so I'm confused what you are referring to. The TV has a built in scaler right? So my PS3 games that are 720p only will still display in HD correct? My old xbr700 did not have a built in scaler so if the game was in 720p only, the TV would only show a 480p signal. As long as I am getting an HD picture, I'm fine. Are there guides online to help me with overscan issues?? I did find a Sony KD-34XBR970 but they are wanting $80 for it. If no one buys their TV and they are willing to sell for less, does the KD-34XBR970 handle 720p better? What's the most I should pay for it?

100 views and only 1 reply. Do I have cooties or something?
post #4 of 6 Old 12-29-2011, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The page views may come from web bots.

The Sony HD CRT TVs cannot display 720p60 natively. If the TV is sent a 720p60 picture a picture will still display but it will either be scaled to 540p or 1080i depending on the model. I believe the XBR970 scales 720p input to 1080i.

Quote:

Are there guides online to help me with overscan issues??

Yes, there is a Sony service codes thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=531494

Just be careful and make sure you know what you're first doing as too many people have effectively bricked their TVs by doing silly things like resetting everything to defaults
post #5 of 6 Old 12-29-2011, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. The XBR700 I owned didn't have any overscan problems that I remember. If I do in fact get the 970, I will look at it before I buy it. I will be careful if I ever do venture into the service codes.

As long as I am still getting an HD picture, everything should be all good. A lot of PS3 games are 720p only and my old tube didn't have a scaler so the game would out of HD. Sony Sony didn't put in a scaler like the 360 so I was screwed. With the 970, I will always be getting an HD picture and I am sure MLB 11 The Show will look fantastic on it.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-08-2012, 11:54 AM

The kv-32hv600 has one of the best picture qualities ever made in a TV. If it didn't weigh over 200 pounds, I would still be keeping it. The fact that you are able to buy it for $35 is so depressing it hurts. I bought it way back in the day for $1400 and now am trying to sell it. Guess I won't be getting much from it.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page