Pround owner of a KD-34XBR970, I have some color questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 01-04-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I finally got the TV I wanted for $50 and then gave a friend $20 for helping me with his truck and carrying it to my room. Everything looks a tad blurry and the menu colors are off. The red looks more like pink but the other colors look fine. I have seen a lot of different color sets so I'm wondering how to find the best one. Also, I need to move the picture a little to the right. You can't see the N in the upper left corner on Netflix. Thanks in advance. I can only change up and down and the tilt. I have also noticed that there is a little pop sound when the PS3 changes from Netflix and back to the main menu. Am also noticing a little green on the right side in the middle at the end of the screen. The sound on this TV is awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-07-2012, 04:47 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Photos (even from a cell-phone) definitely help on this kind of stuff.

If you have sort of a "blob" of green near the right edge of the screen it could be a magnetic impurity. CRTs are sensitive to nearby electro-magnetic fields. If there's a speaker, electric outlet or some other electric device like another TV, or a computer or monitor close to the right side of the TV, that might be the cause. Or perhaps the previous owner had a speaker or some other electric device near that side of the TV, and it left a little impurity, which may go away after some time. It could also be the TV's own internal speaker, in which case you may just have to get used to it.

The TV degausses the screen each time you turn it on. So if you can move whatever electric device is causing the color distortion away from the TV, the degaussing should eventually remove most or all of the impurity. Do not turn the TV on/off a bunch of times to try to fix it. That puts an unnecessary strain on the TV's degaussing coil and power supply, and could damage it.

You could also try leaving the TV unplugged when it's not in use for awhile (maybe a few days or week).

If it's not a green "blob" then it may be some other issue.

ADU
post #3 of 27 Old 01-08-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

It's not a speaker. I have moved everything around and it's still there. I will work on a picture. Not sure if it's a blob but it's noticeable on white backgrounds that for sure. I am more concerned about the picture being off. Either I need to shrink the size of the image the TV is showing or move the image over to the right a little. That requires me going into service menu though and I have read stories where people brick their TV so I'm not really looking forward to it. I am leaving for Vegas fora week so the TV will be off all that time. Hopefully, that cures the green problem.
post #4 of 27 Old 01-08-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I recently acquired a 34" Panasonic widescreen CRT and some of your symptoms sound familiar; now in my case I'm driving it with converter box though which may be why I'm experiencing my symptoms.

The factory color intensity setting was way too strong and mainly influencing the reds. I don't know if that would cause the green blob as that sounds more like ADU described (I did have that problem on another TV when I tried to place external speakers too close). There were also several pic adjustment menus which affect the pic quite differently and each has it's own adjustment array (picture (contrast), brightness, color, tint, and sharpness); each menu also has an adjustment for color temp (normal, cool, and warm) which dramatically alter the color intensity (and maybe more); two of the menus have a switch to turn on the ability to make 'advanced' adjustments.

I also had problems with how the pic was displayed. I had to try different combinations of source (converter box) aspect ratio and TV aspect ratio. See if your PS3 has an aspect ratio adjustment. The best combo still cut off a little from the sides so I couldn't get a perfect fit (of course some combos squeeze or stretch the image). 'Some' of the TV aspect modes would let me fine tune the size and/or centering of the image. Oh yeah, there is a normal aspect mode that 'supposedly' displays the incoming image unaltered so it makes a good starting reference point. Do you get a perfect fit using the Sony's internal HD tuner?

On the green blob, just for grins try adjusting the geomagnetic correction.

post #5 of 27 Old 01-09-2012, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

For the most part yes, the OTA channels I get with the built in tuner come in fine. Sometimes I don't see all of the FOX logo at the bottom of their shows but it's better than the PS3. I have a Wii too and have not noticed any overscan. I have Netflix for that too so I will check out and compare. I have not messed around with the service menu yet. The Green is there no matter what.
post #6 of 27 Old 01-09-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze Time View Post

For the most part yes, the OTA channels I get with the built in tuner come in fine. Sometimes I don't see all of the FOX logo at the bottom of their shows but it's better than the PS3.

Hmmm, it should be perfect with it's own tuner unless it's just some strange thing with Fox only. I would use the tuner for the source of any alignment but make sure it's in the proper aspect setting first. Now it's possible the inputs have their own unique sub-alignment but anything you do at the tube level will affect everything you view.

post #7 of 27 Old 01-09-2012, 09:39 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

^Floydage makes a good point about checking the aspect ratio/overscan settings on the player. I'm not that familiar with the PS3, but maybe it has an "underscan" setting somewhere?

There are different zoom/stretch modes for both SD and HD inputs on the TV that you could try as well. Maybe the previous owner left the set in the wrong mode?

ADU
post #8 of 27 Old 01-10-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote=ADU;21468304There are different zoom/stretch modes for both SD and HD inputs on the TV that you could try as well. Maybe the previous owner left the set in the wrong mode?[/QUOTE]

Ironically that's what happened to me and there was no remote. I found the only remote for this TV on ebay and the aspect button did the trick. Sucks they sometimes don't put these special functions within the menu but I don't know how thorough the better u-remotes control these modes. I was given a Toshiba VCR with no remote and couldn't turn off the stupid tape display that came up on power-up, drove me nuts until I finally got its remote.

On the blobs, when I swapped TVs and moved my 27" to the bedroom it developed a green blob in a lower corner and a red blob in an upper corner (same side). The tilt also 'tilted.' I think it will correct itself with time as it brough back some deja vu from a previous move. Unfortunately no polarity switch on the back like another TV that once worked.

post #9 of 27 Old 01-10-2012, 02:32 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

FYI, I recently tested some Blu-ray players with my set, and when I set one on top of the TV, it created some interesting color effects, even when the player was unplugged/turned off*. So it's possible that the PS3 might cause some similar color distortions if it's set too close to the TV.

This is also the time of year when static buildup tends to be worst, because people's heaters are on more often and air gets very dried out in homes.

(*Some cheap players apparently have lousy shielding.)

ADU
post #10 of 27 Old 01-10-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Indeed, motorized devices including VCRs, stuff with hard drives, etc. He said he moved stuff around but I wonder how long it takes to clear up if something magnetic were the case?

post #11 of 27 Old 01-10-2012, 10:06 PM

Do any of you think that a manual degausser could help with his green blob problem at all, or would it be not worth the risk of making it worse?

I ask because I have a similar problem with a 34HS420.
post #12 of 27 Old 01-11-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernan1234 View Post

Do any of you think that a manual degausser could help with his green blob problem at all, or would it be not worth the risk of making it worse?

If you just moved it see if it gets better over time, they're supposed to deguass on every power-up (I don't know about power-up from standby though). My old 27" seems to be improving, esp the tilt.

BTW my Panasonic widescreen CRT degausses after I make a tilt adjustment in the user menu...

post #13 of 27 Old 01-11-2012, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Make sure that you temporarily remove any surge suppressors utilized between the TV and the a/c wall outlet when you power on the set.

Some surge suppressors have been known to restrict full current flow to the degaussing circuit during power up, thereby preventing that circuit from preforming a proper and complete degauss.

nx211
post #14 of 27 Old 01-12-2012, 12:18 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernan1234 View Post

I would strongly advise against it. There are some definite risks involved in doing something like that on the Sony TVs. The manual degaussers produce a stonger magnetic field, which can effect the fine mesh of wires which make up the aperature grille on the Sony Trinitron tubes. So the "cure" could end up creating more problems than the disease.

Some comments about this from the CRT Repair FAQ....

Quote:

WARNING about degaussing late model Sony Trinitron CRTs...

...You should NEVER use a big degauss coil on ANY SONY WEGA tube, or ANY SONY 27" or larger CRT made after 1997. Sony deliberately put a small amount of magnetic field into the strapping and aperture grill to compensate and improve the convergence. A BIG degauss will remove this and make the tube look very bad...

...I NEVER use the large degauss coils on the Sony tubes after seeing the Sony video of how CRTs have been damaged...

...Note that Sony tubes do NOT have shadow masks, but they have aperture grills which are an array of incredibly fine wires under tension. A BIG degauss coil can also rip the aperture grill away from the stabilization wires.

I don't remember if the 34HS420 has an aperature grille or shadow mask, but I'd advise against using the manual degaussers in either case because the shadow masks are made of metal as well, and could also be adversely effected by a strong magnetic field (especially if you don't know what you're doing).

The CRT Repair FAQ, also suggests waiting at least 20 minutes between power-ups to give the degaussing coil time to cool down, so it it doesn't overheat. I know people here on this forum who have ruined their sets though by repeatedly turning them on-and-off without giving the degaussing coil or power supply some time to recover/cool down. So that's why I recommend against doing this to try to fix the problem. If the source of the field has been removed, then IMO the impurity should eventually dissipate with normal use.

However, as I alluded to above, the TV could also be holding more static charge than normal in it's tube or frame around this time of year, and it may take some time for that to diminish.

ADU
post #15 of 27 Old 01-12-2012, 12:21 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx211 View Post

Make sure that you temporarily remove any surge suppressors utilized between the TV and the a/c wall outlet when you power on the set.

Some surge suppressors have been known to restrict full current flow to the degaussing circuit during power up, thereby preventing that circuit from preforming a proper and complete degauss.

nx211

Interesting observation. My advice about unplugging the TV could be wrong as well.

I guess it is possible that (temporarily) plugging it directly into the wall might also help to siphon off some static charge that could be built up in the TV, if that's part of the problem.

ADU
post #16 of 27 Old 01-12-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Excellent info posters re: degaussing! I'll have to try that with my 27" TV problem after having moved it to another room; it's currently plugged into a surge protector power strip, albeit a cheap unsophisticated one.

I've also read on another AVS forum that moisture can build up inside a CRT if it has gone without being powered up for a long period of time. Probably not all CRTs as this would require an imperfect vacuum seal, more likely real old sets. Sounded like a tiny amount of moisture though.

post #17 of 27 Old 01-12-2012, 04:04 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

I don't remember if the 34HS420 has an aperature grille or shadow mask

It's a Trinitron, which universally means an aperture grille. All Sony's CRTs used an aperture grill, whether it is completely flat or vertically flat. That was just their thing.
post #18 of 27 Old 01-16-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

Hmmm, it should be perfect with it's own tuner unless it's just some strange thing with Fox only. I would use the tuner for the source of any alignment but make sure it's in the proper aspect setting first. Now it's possible the inputs have their own unique sub-alignment but anything you do at the tube level will affect everything you view.

Okay, I am watching the show Alcatraz and the bottom right lofo is DEFINITELY cut off. Where I live, Fox is channel 11 and all I see is Fox 1. Also, above that I am missing the z and below I am missing the m on .com so I need to align it picture but I am apprehensive about messing with the settings.

On a separate note, the green color is still there on bright/white backgrounds.

Here is a picture of what I mean with the Fox logo.

post #19 of 27 Old 01-17-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay, I am watching the show Alcatraz and the bottom right lofo is DEFINITELY cut off. Where I live, Fox is channel 11 and all I see is Fox 1. Also, above that I am missing the z and below I am missing the m on .com so I need to align it picture but I am apprehensive about messing with the settings.

My Panny has a Normal aspect setting I can set to see what stuff looks like without the TV manipulating the input although I don't know how that would apply to an internally generated signal (it has no internal HD tuner). It's been very useful for me to compare the input to what the TV's aspect is doing.

Ideally one of these Sony 970 owners that use the internal tuner can provide you some feedback. If you haven't alreay done so try asking your question on the main Sony 970 thread (this one started about color so...).

Here Fox is 720p whereas most of the others are 1080i. Shouldn't make a difference but the local station itself could be doing something odd.

Has the green blob problem gotten any better? My old 27" hasn't improved much if any thus far, even tried that bypassing the power strip for the degaussing circuit suggestion. Fortunately they mostly get gobbled up by the black stripes in letterbox mode (corner blobs).

post #20 of 27 Old 01-18-2012, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Green blob thingie is the same. I will ask in the 970 thread. I almost think I need to shrink the incoming image.
post #21 of 27 Old 01-20-2012, 01:33 PM

Well, with my HS420 I can say that the color blob problem was improved significantly after having the TV unplugged for three days and then powering it on with the button on the TV (don't know if that makes a difference from turning it on from the remote). Now the blob is fainter and smaller.
I think next time I can keep it unplugged for a while again I will try to plug the TV directly to the outlet as now it's plugged to a power strip.

Thanks everyone for the response and advice on the degaussing issue.
post #22 of 27 Old 01-20-2012, 09:50 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

If your situation's improved, I'm glad. FYI, there are probably much brighter bulbs here (forgive the pun) on the subject of electricity than me, so take my comments/suggestions re static charges, plugging or un- with a grain of salt.

ADU
post #23 of 27 Old 01-20-2012, 09:58 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is a picture of what I mean with the Fox logo...

I'm a little confused by your picture Freeze Time. Is this an HD channel or SD?

On most OTA HD channels I've seen, the logos are usually placed well inside the frame so they're "safe" for viewing on both widescreen 16:9 HDTVs, and Standard Definition SDTVs where the frame could be cropped to a 4:3 ratio.

ADU
post #24 of 27 Old 01-21-2012, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

That is from an HD source. I only watch HD channels if the program is shown in HD. I have also noticed that certain commercials and programs cut off the top of the person's head. It's almost like the image is too big. I have messed with all the tv settings but normal is the best one to leave it on but I still have that problem with the left and right being off. Not sure what the problem is.
post #25 of 27 Old 01-21-2012, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Out-of-the-box overscan was quite bad on alot of these Sony HD CRTs, often at about 6%. Overscan needs to be at or below about 2.66% to be unnoticeable. Today's flat-panel TVs usually have out-of-the-box overscan at 3%.

What I am saying is if you haven't been in the service menu to correct overscan it is possibly quite bad and is helping cause the cut-offs you're seeing. If you're concerned about bricking your TV in there then you could enlist a more technically-minded friend to help go through it with you. It isn't difficult, you just need to be very careful not to do the wrong thing.

Some people have said reducing overscan boosted the resolution too. The service codes thread is the one.
post #26 of 27 Old 01-21-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

I'm a little confused by your picture Freeze Time. Is this an HD channel or SD?

Note: I had previously suggested he check the fit out using the TV's internal tuner to alleviate any external source issue.

post #27 of 27 Old 01-21-2012, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

When I have the time to totally focus on adjusting the picture in the service menu, I will.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page