1080i Trough Component With PC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-04-2012, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was recently given an older (and extremely heavy) CRT HDTV. It has a PC input that I was happy to put to use. But, I was kinda disappointed when I realized it only accepts 800x600 through this VGA port. Would it be possible to connect the PC through component and set it to 1080i?

From what I understand, VGA and component both use RGB. The difference, is that VGA uses h-sync v-sync, while RGB uses SOG/ c-sync. I found schematics for a cheap and simple circuit that combines h and v sync into a c-sync signal. I've also built a cable using an old VGA cable and some A/V terminals. I used it to hook my DVD player through RGB to my computer monitor to test it. Worked nicely.

So, I'll sum this up to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.

1. Make VGA to component cable
2. Build circuit to combine H and V-sync
3. Use Powerstrip software to set output to 1440x1080, with interlacing.

Am I missing anything here? Will this even work? Thanks a lot for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-04-2012, 04:46 PM

Liked: 11
VGA and component video use different color spaces: VGA typically uses RGB, whereas component uses YPbPr. Your graphics card might or might not be able to switch to YPbPr; if it can't then you'll have to adjust the minimum (Brightness) and maximum (Contrast) levels of red, green, and blue on PowerStrip (color profiles), otherwise your picture will be very green.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-04-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

I noticed a plug in the VGA form factor labeled (Digital TV Input). I plugged my laptop into this, and got a rolling garbled image. Any Idea what this is for? Mainly, I'm wondering if I can use a passive VGA to HDMI adapter on this plug.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-04-2012, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
VGA to HDMI, in a "passive" manner just is never ever going to work. What is the model of this CRT and what is the "PC" input that you speak of? DVI?
post #5 of 9 Old 02-04-2012, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

It's an RCA MM36110, manufactured in '01. There are two plugs in the back that use the VGA form factor. One is labeled "PC", the other is labeled "Digital TV Input". Seeing as VGA is analog, not digital, I don't think the latter is a standard VGA. The only digital input I know of would be DVI and HDMI, which use pretty much the same standard. A passive VGA to HDMI adapter can be had for $3 with free shipping, so if it doesn't work it's not much of a loss. Might just buy one and see what happens.

Also, was just doing a little research. Apparently, some GFX cards support digital output via VGA, hence why passive cables even exist. It would make sense then that some devices support digital input via VGA also.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much from a TV that's over a decade old. Maybe I'm obsessed with using everything I have to it's maximum ability.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-05-2012, 11:17 AM

That HD-15 input labeled "Digital TV Input" could actually, strangely enough, be analog component video. From how you describe it reacts, that would be my best guess, since a quick Google search doesn't seem to bring up the manual for that model (Retrevo doesn't have it). My 36" Panasonic Tau, also from 2001, has labeled the 480p/1080i capable component video inputs as "DTV Input" as well, despite the fact that they are clearly just your standard analog component video inputs. Industry always likes to confuse things!
post #7 of 9 Old 02-06-2012, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

After some research, really the best choice would be to pay $25 for a transcoder. Thanks for the help everyone.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-09-2012, 02:55 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Some video cards can do 1080i YPbPr output via a VGA to YPbPr breakout cable, if the drivers support it. Driver support may be the hard part.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-09-2012, 10:30 AM

The TV will accept 1080i through VGA if its a multisync monitor. I had the same problem with my XC-3716C. It accepted only 800x600 max but its supports 1080i in VGA. With a HDMI to VGA converter you can connect any Blu-Ray, etc. 1080i is 1440x1080i. 1080i requires only about 34-37khz horizontal, thats why it works on 800x600 monitors. The XC-3716C tops out at 39khz.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page