Headaches From LCD, Not CRT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-06-2012, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm really not sure if this is the place to post this, but I'll try anyways. I recently bought my first LCD, a 40 inch Sceptre. Using this thing for anything besides watching movies (video games, PC monitor), causes headaches, grogginess, and sometimes dizziness.

I've noticed that I don't have any of these problems on my 36 inch CRT, or my brothers 47 inch LED LCD. And here is where it gets even weirder. I have a friend with a history of non epileptic seizures. Of the two times this person has played video games on this TV, both instances induced a seizure. Now, this person is a gamer, playing video games for 5 hours at a time with no problems.

Any Ideas what could be causing this? I'm really ready to sell the thing and maybe buy an LED, or possibly a 16:9 CRT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-06-2012, 03:12 PM

Liked: 12
Dunno what's causing it but I too have experienced headaches with LCD flat panels and haven't had them ever with CRTs. Played video games on a friends 32" LCD before and had a massive headache afterward. Playing on my 30" HD CRT or any other CRT has never given me a headache like that. I rarely ever have headaches either.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-06-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Possibly by the flicker of the CCFL, if this is the case, even watching a movie may bother u, assuming the viewing distance same.

or the Motion Enhancer of some of these TV, which usually u can turn off, so please spend time playing with the settings.

I believe this issue been addressed b4r, so please use the SEARCH button.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #4 of 14 Old 02-07-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Yep check the manual for any game mode settings. Even my old Panasonic 16:9 CRT has special game mode settings in the user menu.

post #5 of 14 Old 02-19-2012, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Possible mercury exposure from the LCD's UV back light.
that crap is dangerous to humans....Those awful CFL energy saver mercury based light bulbs for example take a 7 hour precedure to despose of if you break one....lol
post #6 of 14 Old 02-19-2012, 03:21 PM

I suggest it is related to the motion interpolation. I had to disable it on my girlfriend's TV because it is inconsistent and looks terrible. I wouldn't doubt that people would get headaches or nausea from it.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-19-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I had a CRT and now have a LCD/LED and LCD/CCFL for TV viewing.
I had a CRT and now have an LCD/CCFL for my PC.

No one has ever experienced problems.

The only difference is that no one sits with their noses stuck to a display for hours playing games.

We all like to read "real" books.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-20-2012, 06:25 AM

Liked: 11
^ True hahahahh You shouldn't pass more than one hour watching a LCD TV or else you will get headaches. Book sales are gonna get sky-high cause of this!

Not everyone perceives motion as well as others. My friend will get dizzy and sick just from moving around too much on a pc screen or some other video source ( even crt when you are messing around and moving the camera too much for nothing). Motion sickness is only amplified by the lcd technology. Where before you had a smooth, lag-free motion, nowadays you either have an accelerated one to compensate for motion blur, or you have motion blur that make the eyes strain... both are bad and can cause motion sickness or even seizure depending on what you are viewing (though im pretty sure the seizure was caused by video content much more then the tv)
post #9 of 14 Old 02-20-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Seriously, I'm sure some may experience some type of "motion sickness" of sorts. IMHO, it's probably more due to the fact that display sizes are much larger than conventional CRT's ever were. Add to that the fact that many sit very close and lose peripheral vision, which plays a part (subconsciously) to maintain a perspective of balance.

For some individuals, perhaps total immersion into gaming could be a problem. Just like some people can't sit in the first or second row of a movie theater or the front seat of a roller coaster.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-20-2012, 02:25 PM

Liked: 12
For me at least I can rule out the size as I've had headaches when viewing a friends 32" LCD which is not large by any means. My HD CRT is 30" so only 2" larger diagonal. I would agree with most here that it's probably due to motion and LCDs inherent motion blurring and low motion resolution.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My suggestion would be to lower the contrast way down at night to make the set not too bright(I don't know the difference between contrast and backlight though).the new lcds are a lot bigger and brighter than crts.The energy saving feature may allow a daytime and nighttime setting .And have some other lighting in the room besides the tv.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-16-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Veering OT just a touch, I have a 21" CRT monitor for my PC straight in front of me and off to my right about two feet but angled straight at me as I turn my head is a 20" CRT TV; viewing distance for the TV is about twice that of the monitor. When I have them both on it does a weird number on my eyes when I look from one to the other (I think worse from TV to monitor). Two questions:

1) Would that be because of the different type of scanning employed by these devices?
2) Would the TV being above the monitor help? (a pain to wall mount but...).

Bonus question: Any other suggestions?

I do have an LCD computer monitor recently given to me by a friend but it's smaller than the CRT monitor (ugh!). I doubt it would help anyway as they're both for computers (I suspect similar scan type).

post #13 of 14 Old 08-20-2012, 06:18 AM

I am still using a Sony RP-LCD and CRT for my TV and gaming needs, so I don't have much experience with modern LCDs. I will say that I have immediately noticed strong flicker of the displays I see at the stores. I have no idea how people can stand to look at them. I have used plenty of LCD monitors with no trouble. Something with these ultra-cheap LCD TVs is different.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-03-2012, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEYHI 
Any Ideas what could be causing this? I'm really ready to sell the thing and maybe buy an LED, or possibly a 16:9 CRT.

They are pieces of garbage,,,,I also get a headache from them... GET RID OF IT AND HOPEFULLY YOU CAN GET A GOOD CRT AGAIN smile.gif

I am very grateful to have what i have.... Everyone in my family has that new trash and to me its horrible. Sounds bad,looks aweful.....

CRT all the way!!
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page