How much can I get for a Sony CRT HDTV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 04-08-2012, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping that I got the right forum for this. I'm thinking of finally getting rid of my Sony T.V. and upgrading to a Samsung Plasma. When I got my CRT TV 10 about 8 years ago it seemed like a good idea; plasma and LCD were still a little iffy and VERY expensive and everyone was saying that CRT still gave the best picture (blacks were solid, viewing angle, etc.).

Nowadays, even with some problems (short lifespan, still some viewing angle problems, barely perceptible picture problems, etc.) a 50" plus plasma or LED beats a 32" CRT easily. Most people are willing to make a "sacrifice" to have such a huge television in their home. That, and the 4:3 of a traditional T.V. often cuts the sides of most movies and videogames.

I was thinking about trying to sell my current T.V. on Craigslist and was wondering what a reasonable price would be.

It's a Sony KV32HS510 (I would post a link to Amazon, but this is my first post)

I purchase the custom Sony stand along with an extra deck or horizontal panel for another component (video game console, Blu-ray player, cable box, etc.).

I was hoping to list it for $400 and probably negotiate down, but I think from checking online this might be ridiculously high. It's like trying to sell an old laptop on Ebay; it's really shocking how they go down in price over the years. It's hard to imagine I paid about $1200 when I purchased it through Circuit City (RIP).

I think the only thing going for my T.V. is that it's one of the last CRTs and hence has HDTV (1080i not 1080p though). I'm hoping there are some videophiles out there who really value it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 04-08-2012, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

I just noticed that the Amazon listing has this T.V. used for $600.

I'm guessing this is another case of someone listing a used item on Amazon for an outrageous price. Could I be wrong?
post #3 of 33 Old 04-08-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New-TV View Post

It's a Sony KV32HS510...I was hoping to list it for $400 and probably negotiate down.

I had the exact same model with stand. I gave mine away for free to a recycling center that did pickups. It's now in Trinitron heaven. From my experience with selling things on Craigslist and the demand for 4:3 CRT televisions with an NTSC tuner only, you would be lucky if somebody gave you $40.

Enjoy the Samsung Plasma. I love my Panasonic Plasma. It's totally wonderful and don't miss the Sony CRT at all. I kept the stand though, makes a decent stand for the plasma, doesn't look ugly at all.
post #4 of 33 Old 04-09-2012, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

$40!!! Wow, that's ridiculous. Who would think that something so big could be sold for so little. Maybe the size is the problem.

I was hoping that people would be willing to purchase it without much fuss for $100 at least.

Was the T.V. you donated working fine?

And the people who picked it up had no trouble lugging it through your house?

The reason why I ask is because my mom has a 40" version that weighs almost 300 pounds, and we don't know what to do with it. We don't want whoever takes it to bang up the rest of the house as they carry it out.
post #5 of 33 Old 04-09-2012, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Also, do all new T.V.'s have ATSC tuners? So I can get over the air HDTV broadcasts for my local NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, etc. for whatever new T.V. I get?

I was kind of bummed to find that I needed a special tuner to get HDTV over the air broadcasts and getting an HDTV antenna wouldn't do it.
post #6 of 33 Old 04-09-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

How much can I get for a Sony CRT HDTV?

It appears not much, especially with all the free CRTs out there. People (like you) are getting rid of these non-ATSC big heavy dinosaurs to upgrade to sleeker technology.

You can try to list it on Craigslist, but be ready for disappointment, as displayed in this thread, and another one.

Maybe you can donate it to Salvation Army or Goodwill for a tax write off, if they still accept them.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #7 of 33 Old 04-09-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

$40!!! Wow, that's ridiculous. Who would think that something so big could be sold for so little. Maybe the size is the problem.

I was hoping that people would be willing to purchase it without much fuss for $100 at least.

Was the T.V. you donated working fine?

And the people who picked it up had no trouble lugging it through your house?

The reason why I ask is because my mom has a 40" version that weighs almost 300 pounds, and we don't know what to do with it. We don't want whoever takes it to bang up the rest of the house as they carry it out.

Sadly, hd crt's without digital tuners are as valuable as sd crt's without digital tuners. You'll be lucky to get anything more than $40 for it. Now a hd crt with ATSC and QAM digital tuners are worth a bit more because you don't have to do much to get hd out of it. But even so, you'd still be lucky to get $100 out of a 32" set. Those are used mainly for kids/guest rooms nowadays.

I've seen Sony 34" 960/970's (with the Sony stand) go for $100-$150 here on Detroit craigslist. And those things are great.
post #8 of 33 Old 04-09-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I agree, lucky to get $40.

I felt lucky to get $250 selling my pro-calibrated Mitsubishi 65" HDTV, and even that took a month and half.
post #9 of 33 Old 04-09-2012, 03:32 PM

Why not keep it? An external Digital tuner can easily be added for over the air broadcasts. TV cable and satellite feeds have their own tuners and can plug into the component or DVD converted to HDMI. The HDCRT has ALL the inputs and can run all the console systems from 240p all way up to 1080i. The Wega series have tons of inputs, good luck finding a new HD with SVideo or more then one component.
post #10 of 33 Old 04-09-2012, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I believe that an external digital tuner is around $100-$200, correct? I can't remember, but last I checked (and I might not have been looking at the right product) it was around that amount. Hardly worth investing even $50 in a tuner if the T.V. would be difficult to sell at $40.

I guess I just want to sell it to clear the space for a new T.V.

Oh well, I'll try listing on Craigslist and see. Listings are free and what's the harm.
post #11 of 33 Old 04-10-2012, 02:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just a thought- Check your local scrap dealer - They pay by the pound -recycle and get some real $$ for it.
post #12 of 33 Old 04-10-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

You may want to think about keeping the stand.

I kept mine (36 inch Sony - yours may be too small) for use with my new Samsung 59 inch plasma. The colors coordinated well plus it resulted in TV being at the right height and was good for my corner location. The Samsung Swivel stand actually works well in the corner to adjust on the fly

I looked for Samsung stands and mounts but there were no better matches for me. Plus if I had wall mounted it my wife wanted it way too high and this way the viewing height is correct.

Also mine was very heavy and although BB wouldn't quite price match they came close. But their delivery included removal of my existing heavy tv - well worth the little extra cash
post #13 of 33 Old 04-10-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Well, I believe that an external digital tuner is around $100-$200, correct? I can't remember, but last I checked (and I might not have been looking at the right product) it was around that amount. Hardly worth investing even $50 in a tuner if the T.V. would be difficult to sell at $40.

I guess I just want to sell it to clear the space for a new T.V.

Oh well, I'll try listing on Craigslist and see. Listings are free and what's the harm.

I found an early vintage HD tuner for $20 on CL but I'd say I got lucky since I haven't seen anything else. eBay probably better playing the bidding game. Then there's always those SD converter boxes.

You can monitor CL in your area to see what similar TVs are selling for via keyword search (I use "tv Sony" in 'All for sale / wanted' and keep in mind some folks don't know what size their TV is). Of course who knows for sure what they actually sold for? I'm guessing $50 -100 depending on your patience and reposting frequency.

Hints: State it's HD ready, has DVI/HDCP (and I think compatible with HDMI via a converter cable), and 1080i if it has that resolution. Throw in an SD converter box if you can spare one. Offer to help load it (key for single people). They'd most likely like to have the stand too although Ralph makes a good point; those stands are stronger than most of the stuff they sell these days for the lighter TVs.

I've never seen anyone offer any money to recycle TVs, it's usually difficult enough to get rid of them (Best Buy up to and including 32" but you have to take it to them). Tax write-off thing makes sense if you can find a recipient as you can probably use inflated eBay pricing. I had a a charity pick up some 19" TVs and computer monitors, they left me a blank receipt, but this one claimed they would only pick up stuff the driver could handle by himself.

post #14 of 33 Old 04-11-2012, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphArch View Post

You may want to think about keeping the stand.

I kept mine (36 inch Sony - yours may be too small) for use with my new Samsung 59 inch plasma. The colors coordinated well plus it resulted in TV being at the right height and was good for my corner location. The Samsung Swivel stand actually works well in the corner to adjust on the fly

Yeah, I think the 36" Sony has a different stand. The one for the 32" is contoured for the TV, and is not flat on top. Actually, from what I remember it's got some sort of strange grid on the top. It's kind of like opening a box filled with light bulbs; it's like a ice-cube tray.

I don't know, I think I might list it at first for $100 OBO and see. If it doesn't sell I'll just relist it for $40; two $20's not too much to ask for and is almost like buying a box of tissues (not really, but kind of).
post #15 of 33 Old 04-12-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I think the 36" Sony has a different stand. The one for the 32" is contoured for the TV, and is not flat on top. Actually, from what I remember it's got some sort of strange grid on the top. It's kind of like opening a box filled with light bulbs; it's like a ice-cube tray.

Mine was also contoured for the 36 inch set - but the Samsung spider stand fit nicely on that contour and allows the placement of a center speaker directly under the TV as well as swiveling to match seating situation. Even if you had to fill in the top (you could pour some finish epoxy on top - I am planning on that approach) it may be better than what is available for Samsung plasmas
LL
post #16 of 33 Old 04-14-2012, 09:31 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

I have one of the 36" Sony HS models sitting in my garage. Although it has a great picture, I've resigned myself to the reality of "If you're willing to haul it away...it's yours."

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #17 of 33 Old 04-18-2012, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphArch View Post

Mine was also contoured for the 36 inch set - but the Samsung spider stand fit nicely on that contour and allows the placement of a center speaker directly under the TV as well as swiveling to match seating situation. Even if you had to fill in the top (you could pour some finish epoxy on top - I am planning on that approach) it may be better than what is available for Samsung plasmas

Wow! I'm surprised how nice it looks. I was certain given the countour that it would look really strange; a beat-up dresser would look better.

Is it really hard to find a good T.V. stand for a 59" plasma? Since I live in an apartment, a wall-mount is out of the question.
post #18 of 33 Old 04-18-2012, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

I have one of the 36" Sony HS models sitting in my garage. Although it has a great picture, I've resigned myself to the reality of "If you're willing to haul it away...it's yours."

That's distressing to hear. Have you tried to sell it on Craigslist?

I guess for people like me $40 is even worth the trouble; it's just the type of person I am, but I can see how many people wouldn't consider it worth their time (why not list a half-eaten box of cereal?!?).
post #19 of 33 Old 04-19-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow! I'm surprised how nice it looks. I was certain given the countour that it would look really strange; a beat-up dresser would look better.

Is it really hard to find a good T.V. stand for a 59" plasma? Since I live in an apartment, a wall-mount is out of the question.

It's not that hard to find stands for plasmas, but you mentioned interest in Samsung and already had the stand so I provided what I did. There are pluses (cable hiding compartment, free, matches plasma, perfect spot for my center speaker) and minuses (several holes and posts in top). Since my location is in a corner it worked out. Plus the stand slides nicely on the hardwood floors (didn't realize I had it pulled out when I took the photo). Another big plus was staving off my wife's desire for wall mounting in a location that would be bad for viewing (too high above the chair moulding) and lacked good option for a center speaker.

You are going to spend more on a replacement stand than you will likely get for the TV and stand together - so I suggested thinking about the re-use option.
post #20 of 33 Old 06-12-2012, 06:31 PM

If your sony CRT TV has a HDMI input connector, the gamers seem to really want the CRT TVs. Check out this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1200564/crt-owners-and-converts-should-i-swap-my-sharp-lcd-for-a-sony-crt

People who are into gaming can really appreciate the quality a HD CRT can give on colors and motion. You may want to think about posting an add on a gamer's forum vs Craigslist.smile.gif
post #21 of 33 Old 06-13-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikediaz View Post

If your sony CRT TV has a HDMI input connector, the gamers seem to really want the CRT TVs. People who are into gaming can really appreciate the quality a HD CRT can give on colors and motion. You may want to think about posting an add on a gamer's forum vs Craigslist.smile.gif

Even if the older DVI connector, a HDMI adapter can easily be added. I'll stick with my HD CRT Wega, but not just because of the game consoles. The tube offers clarity for both HD and non HD signals, no dot crawl issues of LCDs.
post #22 of 33 Old 06-16-2012, 07:56 AM

About 2 years ago I go a 34" 16X9 Philips off Craigs list for $90, so you can figure from there - dock a little for the 4X3 screen and a little more for time passage - maybe $50 if your lucky.

Or donate it to the Salvation army or the like and you can use it for a tax deduction next April.
post #23 of 33 Old 11-19-2012, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a sony kd-34xbr970 and was wondering if anyone has sold one recently? I didn't see any listed on craigslist in my local market and was curious about pricing and demand. Thanks.
post #24 of 33 Old 11-25-2012, 06:01 PM

It's worth it if someone just comes and takes these behemoths for free. My first choice would be to use it as a third or 2nd tv in another room where it never has to move again. I hate moving these. Some stores will come set up your new tv and take the other one away for free. I just had to deal with this, this weekend, my parents decided to set it up in their bedroom instead of get rid of it.
post #25 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I would think he could get at least $50 for that 970, should probably start at $100, maybe $150 depending on population density/demand, willingness to help load it, and if throwing in a stand (the stands have become more valuable than some of the 'older' CRTs biggrin.gif).

Tips: Photos. Describe it well, especially the fact that it has a built-in DTV tuner, HD/HDMI, widescreen, and the last Sony of this type. Throw in a link to a review website like CNET.

Probably not the best time of year to try and sell it with all the flat panel buying but serious gamers do love these sets.

post #26 of 33 Old 11-27-2012, 03:16 PM

I've considered selling my KS-34XS955 (Super Fine Pitch) but it looks so good with my Nintendo (RGB-modded), SNES (also RGB-modded) and Wii. I guess I'll hold on to it since it was calibrated and had its service-menu tweaked to achieve near-perfect convergence. Using my DVDO Edge seems to really take things to a higher level as well (I use an Oppo DV-980H to send a pure 480i signal to the Edge). This beast has a decent 3D comb-filter, a Cable Card (which I still use) and dual coax inputs (one for cable and one for ATSC/NTSC). I even have the original stand for it. The built-in speakers are actually quite good, though I am using an old Onkyo TX-SR805 to drive some nice 4ohm bookshelves. For an old-school classic gamer or for someone who still consumes SD content the Sony Super Fine Pitch (SFP) tubes are still the way to go - they look damn good with up-scaled content as well as native HD content too. This is coming from someone with a Kuro Elite PRO-101FD as his main set. I realize the negatives of CRTs in general but if one is willing to absorb those flaws CRT tech is still enjoyable.

"glittering prizes and endless compromises..."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #27 of 33 Old 12-14-2012, 04:10 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPeart View Post

I've considered selling my KS-34XS955 (Super Fine Pitch) but it looks so good with my Nintendo (RGB-modded), SNES (also RGB-modded) and Wii. I guess I'll hold on to it since it was calibrated and had its service-menu tweaked to achieve near-perfect convergence.
I'd hang onto that until it goes poof. I was TV shopping recently, and, man, a whole lot of new TVs do not impress me.

I grabbed a 30xs955 last month the first day it was posted for $50 with stand. The post is still up with the guy's phone number on it, so apparently he hasn't been getting enough calls about it to go and take the post down, but who knows. I figured selling one of my tuner boxes and the stand would more than pay for the TV. Had a $20 offer on the stand already, but for $20 I think I'll keep it since it's mighty strong.

That aside, the xs955 has a very nice picture, though isn't the best thing to use as a computer monitor. Also, damn, it's heavy. And awkward. I could lift the 32" 4:3 CRT without too much problem it has replaced, but the 30" 16:9 Sony doesn't really have handholds at all, and it's just awkward to lift. And the 34" are quite a bit heavier yet.

By the way, its tuner definitely isn't up to par of my SD tuner boxes. No surprise since the TV is five years older, but just a data point. It's "fine" and gets the job done, but newer tuners are better.
post #28 of 33 Old 12-15-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFranchise View Post

I grabbed a 30xs955 last month the first day it was posted for $50 with stand. The post is still up with the guy's phone number on it, so apparently he hasn't been getting enough calls about it to go and take the post down, but who knows. I figured selling one of my tuner boxes and the stand would more than pay for the TV. Had a $20 offer on the stand already, but for $20 I think I'll keep it since it's mighty strong.

If it was on Craigslist the ads get buried pretty quick by newer ads. I even do a keyword search for Sony TVs in all categories but even those get pushed down fast (not as fast on other brands though). But from what I've observed the widescreen Sonys at good prices like that go fast. Shockingly I just saw a 30" with the matched stand in the free section the other day.
That stand is probably worth more than the TV to the general public for their newer TVs and the stand is not as much of a bear to move. Most people don't want to deal with these monster heavy CRTs when they can go buy a new flat panel this size for a few hundred bucks.

post #29 of 33 Old 12-16-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPeart View Post

I've considered selling my KS-34XS955 (Super Fine Pitch) but it looks so good with my Nintendo (RGB-modded), SNES (also RGB-modded) and Wii. I guess I'll hold on to it since it was calibrated and had its service-menu tweaked to achieve near-perfect convergence. Using my DVDO Edge seems to really take things to a higher level as well (I use an Oppo DV-980H to send a pure 480i signal to the Edge). This beast has a decent 3D comb-filter, a Cable Card (which I still use) and dual coax inputs (one for cable and one for ATSC/NTSC). I even have the original stand for it. The built-in speakers are actually quite good, though I am using an old Onkyo TX-SR805 to drive some nice 4ohm bookshelves. For an old-school classic gamer or for someone who still consumes SD content the Sony Super Fine Pitch (SFP) tubes are still the way to go - they look damn good with up-scaled content as well as native HD content too. This is coming from someone with a Kuro Elite PRO-101FD as his main set. I realize the negatives of CRTs in general but if one is willing to absorb those flaws CRT tech is still enjoyable.

I remember reading that an RGB modded SNES has softer picture than hooking up with it's native S-video. Have you compared to see for yourself? Don't you have to strip sync out of the composite video line?
post #30 of 33 Old 12-20-2012, 01:53 PM

I have both an original SNES and the "new" SNES Jr. The SNES via RGB looks a bit softer than the S-Video but with much improved colors. However, the SNES Jr. looks amazing in RGB - sharper than the original SNES with S-video or RGB and even more colorful. I'm sure they used some newer chips in the SNES Jr. - the difference is rather obvious.

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?39076-SNES-jr-RGB-mod-help

As far as the tuner: since I use Windows Media Center and extenders I don't use the built-in tuners much anymore, but every once in a while I'll use the ATSC or CableCard tuners - they are OK in a pinch. When I owned the Channel Master "coupon" DTV converter with S-video I did notice it was MUCH better than the built-in ATSC tuner.

"glittering prizes and endless compromises..."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page