Difference between 32XBR100 and 32XBR200? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-09-2012, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I recently picked up a 34XBR960 for HD gaming and movies and now I'm looking for an SD CRT for oldschool gaming (NES/SEGA/PS1). So I've read here from posts way back that the 32XBR100 is supposedly the SD CRT King for 240p gaming.

I know the 32XBR200 is a 480i set that has no 16:9 processing or whatnot so would that not be a bad pick up? I ask because these are the only ones I can find locally. I've never found a 32XBR100. But I can keep searching.

What say you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-11-2012, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The XBR200 was made in 98. It has only 4 inputs but has a component input, good for more recent consoles like the WII and PS2/3 which had component outputs even if the TV can't accept higher than 480i

The XBR100 was made in 95. It had 5 S-video inputs

Apart from that.. Most 97-98 Sony tubes i see are dead after barely 14-15 years while ive seen some 80s to early 90s tubes in near perfect shape after 20 years of intense use. Quality control was FAR superior in the late 80s to early 90s.
This doesnt mean the XBR200 is a bad choice, far from it.. but do test it before buying. Things to try out are to put contrast to the max and see if it shears (red coming out of sides of faces, red objects, etc), also to put it on a white screen. A good sony tube will have a pure white. Any tinge of magenta is usually a sign of a degrading green cathode. If whites are still white and picture still awesome at 50 contrast then tube is ok. If u need to put everything to the max to get it to look good... then it may have a lot of hours of use...

My 2 cents
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page