Looking for a Zenith c32v36 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-12-2012, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to buy a Zenith c32v36.

I'm particularly interested in the ability to switch between displaying interlaced signals natively and in simulated progressive mode. I have never seen another flat-tube HDTV with this feature, and it's great for sources that don't look very good in HD, like older game systems.

I know all of the reasons that finding older sets like this is not easy and I have pretty much exhausted all of the places I can think to look - eBay, Craigslist etc...

It would be amazing if anyone here read this and was looking to sell a set, but more realistically I'm hoping someone might be able to point me to somewhere that I might find one of these. Alternatively, if there are any other 4:3 sets with the same option to display 480i with scanlines or in forced progressive, that would at least help me broaden the search.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-13-2012, 06:51 AM

Liked: 11
Of course, any monitor would display those capabilities. The Megaview/Megaview Pro and Diamondtron series of Mitsubishi (up to 35" viewable) and the Multisync series of Nec (Up to 36" viewable) are full multisync monitors able to display 480i with scan lines, and up to 1536p on the high-end model (XP37 Xtra by Nec). Even my Mitsubishi Megaview 37 (XC-3716C) can display 480i/480p 800x600 and 1080i (its from 1995 )

Also, some rare projection CRT's had multisyncing capabilities. Some Toshiba models and some RCA rear-projection CRT's clearly changed resolution for HD and SD image patterns. But mind that this was in only specific models in the early 2000s.. digital was only starting and they did not have scalers, but far-superior multisyncing capabilities.

As far as your Zenith goes... i have never even seen that model before.. I highly doubt it does show 480i unaltered by the scaler... my guess is that while it shows the choice of interlaced or progressive in the menu, it is the same as in most Hitachi rear-projection CRT's... it doesnt change the fact that the TV is always scaling the video signal... and not changing down to 480i. Easy to know really.. test it with a lightgun from a NES or just listen to the tv when u go down to 480i. IDK your age but you should start to hear a slight buzz at 480i.. in any other resolution this buzz is not present (higher in frequency so inaudible)
post #3 of 10 Old 04-13-2012, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

I've actually seen the Zenith in action and the picture tube whine you're describing was actually one of the ways I identified what it was doing - I've always been very sensitive to the noise made by CRTs and the moment the "progressive" setting was turned off, I heard that sound.

Thanks for the tips on those other monitors, I'll give them a look.
post #4 of 10 Old 04-16-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

It doesn't look like those high-end sets are flat-tubes
post #5 of 10 Old 04-18-2012, 07:03 AM

Liked: 11
First of all there are no real 'flat' CRT's. There is always a curve. In Flat CRT's they install a glass panel right in front of the CRT to give the impression of a Flat tube. If u look towards the edges you will see that the edges are slightly curved inwards. This is only done to give the impression of flat and has been used since the 80s 90s. You had a glass panel in front, only that now there is no air gap between the tube and this glass panel so it looks to be one tube.
A flat tube cuts some of the viewing angle anyways when the tube could be flush to the sides and be viewed from a far larger angle.

Trinitrons have this shape if viewed from the top (
post #6 of 10 Old 04-20-2012, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

I'm aware that "flat" is a relative term. When I used it, I meant it in the marketing vernacular sense. I expect that most people reading my post will understand what I mean even if it isn't a technically accurate description.

For instance, I'm sure you know from what I wrote, that the reason the NEC and Mitsubishi sets that you mentioned do not meet my needs because the surface of the tube has an obvious convex shape, as opposed to the Zenith that I mentioned where the manufacturer took every reasonable step to flatten the surface, even if it is only actually flat on the outside.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-20-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I dunno, mine all look super flat to me with a flashlight, etc.:

Panasonic CT-34WX50
RCA HD27F754T
Sony KV-20FS120
Dell (Sony Trinitron) UltraScan P1110 computer monitor

And then there's labels like Toshiba PureFlat and my RCA's TruFlat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_TruFlat

post #8 of 10 Old 05-15-2012, 06:30 PM

Don't know if it would be of interest to you. It is a 16:9, but believe that it can scale all 4:3. I also believe it has the ability to switch between interlaced and progressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson7point1 View Post

I'm looking to buy a Zenith c32v36.

I'm particularly interested in the ability to switch between displaying interlaced signals natively and in simulated progressive mode. I have never seen another flat-tube HDTV with this feature, and it's great for sources that don't look very good in HD, like older game systems.

I know all of the reasons that finding older sets like this is not easy and I have pretty much exhausted all of the places I can think to look - eBay, Craigslist etc...

It would be amazing if anyone here read this and was looking to sell a set, but more realistically I'm hoping someone might be able to point me to somewhere that I might find one of these. Alternatively, if there are any other 4:3 sets with the same option to display 480i with scanlines or in forced progressive, that would at least help me broaden the search.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

post #9 of 10 Old 01-08-2013, 08:17 PM

I resently saw your thread but if you are still looking, I actually have two rarely used Zenith C32V36 for sale. Let me know if you are interested.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-13-2013, 12:13 AM

thank you , I also believe it has the ability to switch between interlaced and progressive. i will do it, thank you 1.gif
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page