Can't access menu on Sony Tube TV. WTF? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-16-2012, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I can't get into the Menu on my 20" 1992' Sony Tube CRT....There's no menu button on the TV itself, so i had to order an official remote on eBay for this particular TV online. So i got the remote a couple of weeks later and everything worked fine 'except' for the MENU button, the 'reason' why i bought it in the first place. XP why won't the TV let me get into the menu system?

It doesn't make any sense....If i a CRT starts to go, it's the picture itself, not the menu controls . help?

PS: The seller told me to get a digital camera to see if the light was blinking on the remote when pressing 'menu' and it DID which means the button on the remote works fine. it's the TV....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-17-2012, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One thing to try, may or may not work depending on the remote, look for a slide switch on the remote or sometimes it's buttons on the front, that puts the remote in control mode for different devices, such as VCR, DVD, or TV.

Sometimes if the remote is switched for VCR mode, the volume buttons work but channel and menu buttons don't.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-17-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Not sure if this is the case, but you may have the wrong remote for your model.

According to the Sony KV20TS27 Owners Manual, the remote for the KV20TS27 is RM-783.

If that is the case, there is no "MENU" button available on the remote or the TV.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #4 of 7 Old 04-17-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not being able to adjust picture controls on this particular model? Now that's scary. XP wouldn't 'Display' mean the same thing as 'Menu' on that remote?
If not, which probably is the case i guess i better start looking for a 20" Sony Tube that actually does support menu controls. I'm probably better off scoring one from the mid to later 90's.
Seems like most of the later Sony Tubes which were made in the 2000's went with that ugly silver look. This Set is for retro gaming, so i don't want to go with any of those sleeker 'flat' screen CRT's.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-17-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

Not being able to adjust picture controls on this particular model? Now that's scary.

In the owners manual page 13, it explains the picture settings available, and how to set them using the remote. You have Hue, Color, Brightness, Sharpness, and Contrast, which is fairly complete.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #6 of 7 Old 04-17-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

In the owners manual page 13, it explains the picture settings available, and how to set them using the remote. You have Hue, Color, Brightness, Sharpness, and Contrast, which is fairly complete.

Per that remote pic I suspect those are done via the SELECT button, then -LEVEL+ buttons, with RESET putting them back to the factory settings. DISPLAY is probably to display the clock, channel info, etc. The remote looks to be the menu - old timey stuff. I have a Toshiba VCR and remote sort of like that, was a pain when I first obtained the VCR without the remote as I couldn't turn off the display that comes up on power-up.

post #7 of 7 Old 04-18-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You guys are a life saver. They have the official Remote going for $11 including shipping on eBay so I'm all set for NES + SNES gaming with a little Genesis inbetween. XP

Thanks again for the help!
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page