Iusse with my RCA 38310 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-24-2012, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all - wondering if I could get some help - I received this tv about 5 years ago and its been working great - not a ton of hours viewing and I love the picture - I use a different Directv HD receiver on it btw, not the integrated one....anyway, I have been hearing a "waterfall" sound from the back of the tv. This is not the fan running but sounds like water is running back there. I know its not really water but thats the best way to describe what I hear. Turning it on and off doesn't make it go away. ( from the remote - haven't unplugged it yet). The tv works fine btw, no picture issues at all.

Doe anyone know what I may be hearing or what the tv is doing?

Thanks in advance for any assistance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-24-2012, 09:07 PM

a broken pipe in the wall

there are three fans in these TV's; two are on when viewing, one always on.

the always on fan is under the DM1, and because of its location (and running constantly) tends to get very dirty and the bearings get dry. Mine started to make your 'whooshing' sound too.

pull the DM1, clean fan, and carefully peel off half the label on the fan and put a dab of silicone grease on bearing then press down the label.

should quiet it down considerably...did for mine
post #3 of 7 Old 04-25-2012, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice - now, can you tell me where on the forum are instructions how to get to this fan - I assume I take the back plastic off and go from there.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-25-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Removing the back of the set is not difficult. About 10 screws on the perimeter and one sneaky one over the panel where the coax connects.

IMHO, if the "sound" only occurs when the set is ON. One (or more) of the cooling fans are either failing or caked with dust/grime.

I'd unplug from wall power, remove the back, take a look at the blades of the fans and carefully try to clean the blades with a vacuum and a brush attachment.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-25-2012, 04:03 PM

besides what ratman said, there's also a hidden screw that holds down the DM1. You have to remove the panel that covers the rca inputs as well, and is held on by three tiny hex screws.

Once you have the back and this cover off, carefully disconnect the three plugs that go into the power supply board, they're white and have side clips that secure them. Also unplug the coax that goes to the directTV card reader.

The DM1 has two brackets that slide into the plastic base that holds the fan. Tilt the DM1 towards the picture tube and slide back. You'll see the fan, and can remove the base (two screws) to clean and lube.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-25-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome - thank you to everyone for your help - got a project this weekend and I will report my success ( hopefully)
post #7 of 7 Old 04-26-2012, 04:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Just another suggestion...
Label and mark cables and positions prior to disconnecting anything. Makes reconnection easier.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page