Odd scaling on my toshiba 32hf73 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-22-2012, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, so I decided to secure a 4:3 CRT HDTV from a thrift store becasue I thought it would made a decent SDTV gaming TV.

So anyway, I plug in my PS2 using component cables (official Sony PS3 ones) and I noticed that there's this weird vertical "fringing" happening on the image. Thinking that perhaps there's something wrong with the TV, I decided to do some tests. I go and grab a DVD calibration disk, but I can't reproduce what I saw. I try a game in progressive mode, it looks fine too. Finally, I try using S-video and the issue disappears on all games. To give you an example of what's going on, I took a couple of photos for comparison (I have little to no experience taking a photo of a CRT screen, for forgive me for the **** quality)

Component:

S-Video:

The only clue I've found is that the game in question outputs at 512*416, so possibly that's what causing the weird scaling issues. I don't know, I'm not an expert on A/V. Think anyone here can help?

EDIT: One of the non-problem games outputs at 640*447
EDIT2: Okay, I think I'm seeing a trend here. The other problem game was Castlevania: LoI, which outputs to 512*448. I can assume that it's having issues scaling horizontally?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-28-2012, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
your pics are blocked from where i am so i can't see for sure, but try putting the tv into movie mode before making any other adjustments. i have a 36hfx71 that had weird colour fringes on the edge of white lines if i watched in any other mode besides movie.

good luck

j
post #3 of 3 Old 06-08-2012, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
You can also adjust the tilt in the menu.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page