Component Video-capable graphics card recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-12-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am building a HTPC (Win 7 Home x64, Gigabyte A75M-D2H mb w/ integrated video (DVI & HDMI outputs), AMD A6-3500 2.1Ghz CPU, 2 Ghz DDR which I will probably upgrade to 4) to use with an analog TV which supports Coax, Composite, S-Video, and Component (YPbPr) video. I need advice on a PCI-E video card which is component video capable. I want a high-quality home theatre picture but will do no gaming.

One option I've uncovered is to use an ATI Radeon card which is compatible with this adapter, and as far as I can tell, only works with the ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 8500 Series and the Radeon 9500, 9600, 9700, & 9800 Series. Since these cards appear ancient, I question the quality which will result.

Are there better options, and if not, which of those ATI models should I select? All advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-13-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilejack1 View Post

I am building a HTPC (Win 7 Home x64, Gigabyte A75M-D2H mb w/ integrated video (DVI & HDMI outputs), AMD A6-3500 2.1Ghz CPU, 2 Ghz DDR which I will probably upgrade to 4) to use with an analog TV which supports Coax, Composite, S-Video, and Component (YPbPr) video. I need advice on a PCI-E video card which is component video capable. I want a high-quality home theatre picture but will do no gaming.
One option I've uncovered is to use an ATI Radeon card which is compatible with this adapter, and as far as I can tell, only works with the ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 8500 Series and the Radeon 9500, 9600, 9700, & 9800 Series. Since these cards appear ancient, I question the quality which will result.
Are there better options, and if not, which of those ATI models should I select? All advice is appreciated.

When I built my first HTPC (for gaming too), I used a NVidia 7950GT with a 9-pin S-Video out. The card came with a dongle that would output analog video (composite/s-video/component). I later replaced it with a 8800GT that had a 7-pin S-Video out port with a different dongle. I would reccomend finding a 8800GT/9800GT card that has this output because they're newer and more powerful. The dongel is very difficult to find on it's own though.
smilejack1 likes this.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page