AVS Forum banner

PC-based HDTV on the cheap

433 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Brasidas 
#1 ·
I've got a 36XBR450 that I'm pretty happy with; blu-ray over component with PS3 and a receiver for my 5.1 surround sound.

I'm looking into using the PS3 as a media player, but I've been looking more at hooking it up to one of our PCs.

I've occasionally seen DTA converters to catch HDTV broadcasts for as little as $20, but I'd like to have 1080i. I haven't seen a conventional ATSC tuner for less than $100 with shipping, but I've seen them for less than $20 for a USB key.

Using my computer as a media player, I can kill a couple birds with one stone and be able to catch broadcasts on a computer to boot.

The TV's got component inputs, and the graphics cards I have kicking around have S-video, DVI, VGA, and HDMI. S-video's out if I want something more than 480i.

Going to component, neither my NVIDIAs or my onboard ATI HD3200 can do it with just cabling. But it looks like this $40 piece could http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=8668&seq=1&format=2

I'm looking at 30ft of well-shielded vga cable left over from a gig I worked at, hooked up to this converter, that's hooked up to the computer and the above box. A short run of YPbPr goes from the box to the TV. I run 3.5mm stereo from the computer to the receiver, converted to RCA left/right.

Assuming I've got the antennas good to go, will I have a decent 1080i/stereo combo from the local stations?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.