Running on composite cables, will a HD CRT look any better than SD CRT? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-02-2012, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm talking about the red, white and yellow cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-03-2012, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslieb1 View Post

I'm talking about the red, white and yellow cables.
Depends on the TV model. I run various video connections including Composite PlugnPlay portable games on my HD CRT Wega. All look just fine including RF, Composite, SVideo, Component and HDMI converted to DVI. The HD CRT has the flexibility of supporting newer game consoles and older non HD signals with no upscale issues. That said utilize the best cable connection for each game console and player's capability, SVideo is better then composite for example.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-09-2012, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
From personal experience having wired up hundreds of HD and SD CRT's, i can assure you a SD CRT will look better than a HD CRT in composite and way better in S-Video. Of course this depends on the SD CRT.... a good old 1993 Trinitron will amaze you in S-Video while a old 1995 Toshiba may disappoint you.. Like CRTGAMER said... the big advantage of a HD CRT comes from its Component and even DVI/HDMI capabilities.

Personally i'd choose a SD CRT or a high-end multisync monitor well before i'd buy a HD CRT. The only good HD CRT in my opinion are Sony's DA4 Chassis using CRT's. Apart from that one... Samsung's LG's Toshiba's and all other brands introduce too much digital noise and since almost all HD CRT's are not multisync but locked in 1080i.... its not worth it.

If you do own a SD CRT. Plug it in S-Video like CRTGAMER said. Its MUCH better.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-09-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 60
And some, like my Panasonic Tau HD, upscale the SD. I get a smoother pic but at the sacrifice of losing detail (my old '93 GE shows more detail). I can't turn it off either but in general it makes SD look better. Not being a gamer I don't know if this would be a plus or minus.

post #5 of 12 Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone know of a way to disable upscaling so that DIRECTV SD displays in 480i on Sony HD CRT and looks good like on an SDTV??
post #6 of 12 Old Today, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Asking the same question in various old threads will not help. Stick to your original thread.
post #7 of 12 Old Today, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Asking the same question in various old threads will not help. Stick to your original thread.
lol dude
post #8 of 12 Old Today, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Resurrecting a 3 year old thread unrelated to your TV(s)/tuner is not LOL worthy.
Stay in the original thread please.
post #9 of 12 Old Today, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Resurrecting a 3 year old thread unrelated to your TV(s)/tuner is not LOL worthy.
Stay in the original thread please.
This thread is not totally unrelated to my issue. If you'll notice, the whole discussion is people talking about various picture qualities as they relate to different resolutions with different connections on HD and SD CRT TV's. My exact Sony T.V. is even mentioned by one of the users in this thread.

BTW, I was LOL'ing about how you are following me around different threads. I appreciate the consideration, but you apparently can't definitively answer my question and I'm not in need of you policing my posting habits. Thank you. Hopefully someone does have an answer. Anyone?
post #10 of 12 Old Today, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Later dude.
post #11 of 12 Old Today, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by neccrttv View Post
From personal experience having wired up hundreds of HD and SD CRT's, i can assure you a SD CRT will look better than a HD CRT in composite and way better in S-Video. Of course this depends on the SD CRT.... .
From my experience, I would disagree.
A side-by-side test of a Sony 27XBR15 (4:3 SD) to a KV-30HS420 (16:9 HD) (using a CECB as input) is my basis of comparison. By itself the the old SD TV looks good, but when compared to the line-doubled HDTV, the scan lines of the 480i picture become more obvious and distracting. The picture on the HDTV has the same level of detail and no visible scan lines. There's no way I would chose that SD TV after seeing the HiScan and Super Fine Pitch CRTs.

FWIW the tube image of the 27XBR15 is taller than the 30HS420, 16" versus 14.5".

Regards

Last edited by blue_z; Today at 06:16 PM.
post #12 of 12 Old Today, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_z View Post
From my experience, I would disagree.
A side-by-side test of a Sony 27XBR15 (4:3 SD) to a KV-30HS420 (16:9 HD) (using a CECB as input) is my basis of comparison. By itself the the old SD TV looks good, but when compared to the line-doubled HDTV, the scan lines of the 480i picture become more obvious and distracting. The picture on the HDTV has the same level of detail and no visible scan lines. There's no way I would chose that SD TV after seeing the HiScan and Super Fine Pitch CRTs.

FWIW the tube image of the 27XBR15 is taller than the 30HS420, 16" versus 14.5".

Regards
Would you happen to know if that 30HS420 is able to display in 480i?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays