post #241 of 251 Old 10-28-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
And to respond to your quoted statement above, not when they are displaying the still transmitted today digitally widely used 480i over the air.!.

I don't watch 480i OTA problem solved.
Quote:
That is just not true! The currently today widely still digitally transmitted 480i signal looks a lot clearer when fed to a top of the line recent CRT.
There aren't any recent CRT's Sony quit making CRT TV's years ago like in early 2008.

480 p DVD looks fine on decent Plasma or decent LCD even better upscaled . compressed 480i OTA looks crappy though maybe better on CRT but I don't watch OTA 480i anyway
unless it is a documentary or an old B/W show.

If I had only 480i programming then CRT would be fine. I had my Sony HD FD Trinitron for 10 yrs it was a good set in it's day but it's day has passed .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 251 Old 10-28-2013, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

Yeah I wonder how long the new tech will 'really' last as it hasn't been around real long and of course is constantly changing. Looks good on paper and ALT (Accelerated Life Testing) but...

Sounds like that first poster you replied to is only familiar with 4:3 curved CRTs. BTW how far back did you dig for these posts? biggrin.gif

I got into the whole 480i/HD issue here before. Many of us are dependent on OTA broadcasts so forget 1080p, and like you said a lot of stations are 480i (I had pointed out that a lot of the movie stations broadcast in 480i). Then there's the whole DVD universe.

I read through the strings and found this one to b!tch about how useless my recently dead plasma was mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif How angry I am at myself for throwing away the money on the thing in first place......How can a company survive when the service life of a $2,500 product is ~6 years of lite use.......

Then I thought I would throw in some real world experience on how good my CRTs have been tongue.gif:wink.gif:eek.gifsmile.gifbiggrin.gif

I looked for a couple of weeks to find the dead toshiba's replacement. The first replacement I bought lasted 4 days before it failed, now that is good service life..!..... That is when I discovered that all HDTV makers have removed all of the analog connections!eek.gifmad.gif WT!....

Quote:
I haven't been much on upscaling DVDs, especially the ones I record - has a fuzzy look. I have a little better luck with my HDD recorder but it only upscales to 480p. I'm restricted to using component though as my Panny CRT is pre-HDMI/DVI.

I am today using my pannys to connect to my new LED-LCD( fingers crossed that it will last ).....

One connection through the component with upscaled 480p. And the other through my new -69's upscaled 1080p HDMI.........

VW,Audi, Porsch guy
post #243 of 251 Old 10-28-2013, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 362
I've upscaled DVD only with PC HD video cards with HDMI out and also PS 3 playback again with HDMI out most look pretty good that way if they were decent to begin with
that being the key . Most HDTV inputs other than HDMI do not display as well through other than the HDMI input, lots of picture presets or other options * may not be available
on other than HDMI inputs picture *may lack *as good contrast,color and detail as it otherwise would on an HDMI or OTA signal .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #244 of 251 Old 10-29-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselrat View Post

That is when I discovered that all HDTV makers have removed all of the analog connections!eek.gifmad.gif WT!....

What no RF (CH 3/4), composite, s-video, or component? That would pretty much just leave HDMI other than maybe a PC input connection.

I was trying to improve my friend's satellite connection to his LED TV. He had SD-only service for the sat and the sat box only went up to s-video. But the TV didn't have s-video so the best we could do was composite. Sad on both the sat company and the TV (at least the TV had component) Obviously one can get a better picture with a better connection even if the signal is only 480i (maybe the sat company is trying to force the low quality pic issue to persuade customers to get an upgrade?).

Computers and I suspect game boxes can have pretty high power consumption. For example my PC (older) is several hundred watts while my DVDR, HDD, and blu-ray are around 30 W. A laptop wouldn't be too bad though.

post #245 of 251 Old 10-30-2013, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23

What does CRT give viewer that Plasma cannot replicate? I'm assuming CRT has better PQ? What exactly is the problem with Plasma PQ when compared to CRT?

post #246 of 251 Old 11-02-2013, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you are really anxious to get your new CRT display fix, Ikegami still has some pro HD "master monitors" in production.

Here's the Ikegami HTM-1917-R, for just $8,574.95:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/632861-REG/Ikegami_HTM1917R_HTM_1917_R_19_HDTV_SDTV_Multi_Format.html

This ones a bit over $11k:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/632863-REG/Ikegami_HTM1990R_HTM_1990_R_19_HDTV_SDTV_Multi_Format.html

Ikegami builds these things like battleships: I have their NTSC TM20-80RH (purchased used for cheap), and the build quality is SOLID: the CRT bezel is a solid metal casting fer crying out loud eek.gif. Ikegami seems to be a real CRT tech holdout, as they only somewhat recently went to flat faced tubes from the round screens and these monitors are still available. Does this confirm that a CRT production line still exists in Japan, or is Ikegami assembling these from existing stock tubes?
post #247 of 251 Old 11-02-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:

What no RF (CH 3/4), composite, s-video, or component? That would pretty much just leave HDMI other than maybe a PC input connection.

I was trying to improve my friend's satellite connection to his LED TV. He had SD-only service for the sat and the sat box only went up to s-video. But the TV didn't have s-video so the best we could do was composite. Sad on both the sat company and the TV (at least the TV had component) Obviously one can get a better picture with a better connection even if the signal is only 480i (maybe the sat company is trying to force the low quality pic issue to persuade customers to get an upgrade?).

Computers and I suspect game boxes can have pretty high power consumption. For example my PC (older) is several hundred watts while my DVDR, HDD, and blu-ray are around 30 W. A laptop wouldn't be too bad though.

As long as they continue to include analog tuner the 3/4 option will work. But this renders the digital tuner in the tv pretty much useless!! Using the 3/4 option blocks too much of the digital signal so you can't pick up the over the air signal. I use the built in tuner to get all of my HD content today so using it as one of the analog inputs in not a option.

So like I said, they have removed all of the s-video hookups, most have a shared composite/component so that gives only one analog input......

The best option I have come up with for hooking up the analog signal to the current HDTVs to look good is through either the upconverted component or a upconverted HDMI out of one of my Panasonic DVD or HDD/DVD recorders. Right now I am using my both of my -E20s as connection control, three S-video inputs through the RGB upconverted to 480p out into my NEC CRT & my LED-LCD. And for the best picture through the S-video inputs into my -69 through the upconverted 1080p HDMI out to my new LED-LCD.

If I end up with another one of the current HDTVs that have no good analog connections I will get another -69 using the excuse of I need it for hooking up to my video stuff.... tongue.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif

VW,Audi, Porsch guy
post #248 of 251 Old 11-03-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So like I said, they have removed all of the s-video hookups, most have a shared composite/component so that gives only one analog input......

OK so new TVs are not completely devoid of analog inputs. In this case you have two but one is a sucky RF connection (can switch or use a combiner (splitter in reverse) with the antenna but...). Sounds like they're getting cheap though if they're combining a composite with a component.

post #249 of 251 Old 11-03-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:

OK so new TVs are not completely devoid of analog inputs. In this case you have two but one is a sucky RF connection (can switch or use a combiner (splitter in reverse) with the antenna but...). Sounds like they're getting cheap though if they're combining a composite with a component.

Using RF connection is not a option if you rely on over the air HD. The over the air signal is so sketchy that a splitter or switch remove just enough to wipe out half of the channels!

VW,Audi, Porsch guy
post #250 of 251 Old 11-04-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Using RF connection is not a option if you rely on over the air HD. The over the air signal is so sketchy that a splitter or switch remove just enough to wipe out half of the channels!

A good quality switch has almost negligible insertion loss (0.5 dB or less). Anyhow it sounds like you need an amp or better antenna. Of course you're amongst mountainous tree heavy terrain with plenty of precipitation (and some of that snowy kind that likes to stick around on roofs and trees).
Now I've heard that some of the tuners in the new TVs aren't that great, I suspect it's the cheaper models. Might compare to a good converter box tuner if you have one available.

I'm using a 4-way splitter (~9 dB of loss) and still have signal to spare. Helps having an attic antenna with limited obstruction though.

post #251 of 251 Old 07-20-2014, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Everything about CRTs are better!!!!
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page