Please Bring back CRT TV's Into the Production line Again! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 251 Old 08-03-2012, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Please Bring back CRT TV's Into the Production line Again! Even if it is to a small market. If the CRT TV goes back into production soon or 10 years from now with a retro or regular style, I am willing to pay $1,000 or more for a new 19" retro or regular style new CRT TV when it goes back into production. I like the 1970s style retro look CRT TVs to play Atari 2600 and the NES on. For now I am playing my video games on a 27" RCA flat screen CRT TV I bought at wal-mart in 2008.

Thanks,

Chris smile.gif

I like CRT TV's and CRT Arcade Monitors the most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 251 Old 08-03-2012, 02:46 AM
ID4

I agree with you, why abandon a technology that has clear advantages over the "new generations"?

Each technology has its advantages and disadvantages, and consequently have their applications.

No current technology can really replace the CRT where its benefits continue to shine, at least until the FED or SED arrive.

Personally, I have a Samsung home WS32Z419T calibrated to death, and image quality that I have not seen in any LCD, LED, Plasma or whatever you want here.
post #3 of 251 Old 08-03-2012, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You can still buy a new CRT in India
www.philips.co.in/c/crt-tv/17416/cat/

But flat panel televisions will become much better than CRTs. It's only a matter of time.
post #4 of 251 Old 08-03-2012, 07:25 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerging View Post

But flat panel televisions will become much better than CRTs. It's only a matter of time.

I wouldn't mind a nice SED or FED HDTV or monitor, but I doubt they'll ever make it to market.
post #5 of 251 Old 08-04-2012, 01:19 AM
ID4

I hope you do not refer to the LCD, do not doubt that sooner or later some new technology replaced the CRT of truth, offering the same and offered more than CRT.

Meanwhile, there is no other technology that is capable of working with different frequencies and resolutions without scaling, the LCD will be LCD altough much advanced LCD technology (so backlight).

The only able to do true Multisync in addition to the CRT is the FED.
post #6 of 251 Old 08-05-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringbackcrttv View Post

Hi,
Please Bring back CRT TV's Into the Production line Again! Even if it is to a small market. If the CRT TV goes back into production soon or 10 years from now with a retro or regular style, I am willing to pay $1,000 or more for a new 19" retro or regular style new CRT TV when it goes back into production.

Unfortunately I don't think it will happen. Just not cost affective to the sellers due to shipping weight and space use on a store shelf. I hope my HD CRTs last till I die.
post #7 of 251 Old 08-06-2012, 02:12 AM
ID4

You're right, but it is also true that the CRT has left a void that other technologies do not cover. It is a matter of time that a technology cover these needs, whether CRT or a new tech that really is a genuine replacement (FED?).

Always stay any manufacturer who manufactures the request for current applications where the LCD, Plasma or whatever does not meet specifications, such as Nieman.
post #8 of 251 Old 08-06-2012, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

I have confidence in my heart that one day, CRT TV's will come back into the production line. When I fall asleep to dream, sometimes I had dreams of new 480i 4:3 aspect ratio CRT TV's came back to the stores. These CRT TV's that is in the stores in my dreams are futuristic. I bought one 27" 4:3 aspect ratio curved CRT TV with a futuristic standard VCR and took it home with me. Then I hook up this tv. it has alot of features and the image quality is great. Then I hook up the VCR. This VCR had a lot of features that previous VCR's in the past didn't have. This VCR runs VHS format tapes. I believe in my heart CRT TV"S will come back to the production line one day. These tv's we're as heavy just like the older one was.

Thanks,

Chris biggrin.gif

I like CRT TV's and CRT Arcade Monitors the most.
post #9 of 251 Old 08-07-2012, 03:40 AM
ID4

Good dreams!!!

CRT is still the best image quality no matter who despite.

Just yesterday, I saw a Pioneer Kuro in action with the movie Death Race, the truth is that it looked good and was the SD.

When you return home, was still the same movie, and my Samsung CRT WS32Z419T the image was clearly higher than the Kuro, the colors, contrast, the natural image and cleaning it were perfect.

The Samsung WS3Z419T has a lot defects, the mine is CALIBRATED TO DEATH, and the image quality I've gotten is incredible, I have not seen this quality in any LCD, PLASMA including KURO.

I've added a LG Blueray 550, DVDs are perfect, not noticed any scale and that it is, and the blueray to fall back.
post #10 of 251 Old 08-20-2012, 07:09 AM

I am of the same mind. I would happily pay double the original retail price for a new CRT. I'm sure I am not the only one.
post #11 of 251 Old 08-20-2012, 07:41 AM

Liked: 12
it's dead - it will never come back.
The screens were small, bulky and heavy. Most people would sacrifice some picture quality to get a larger, thinner and lighter set.
There is not enough demand and it's not something you can really produce on a small scale and make any money.
post #12 of 251 Old 08-22-2012, 06:50 AM
ID4

big and heavy? and What? is a TV to keep him in a quiet place, not to have it hanging around all day.

You have to be fool to think that for a tv the image quality is not the most important , but is thin and large ... For what good is it to be thin and large? ...

I bought a TV to view images, so the important thing is the quality of the images.

I would not buy a TV because it is "cute", that is secondary.
post #13 of 251 Old 08-22-2012, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Lol, this is hilarious, All right now that i'm done rolling on the floor laughing biggrin.gif This thread clearly has some very nostalgic people in it, but you have to realize your plans for 4:3 crt redomination are just nostalgic not practical.
The image quality on modern flat panels has caught up for the most part with even the best full hd crt's (I'm typing this on a 51 inch hd crt rear pro) noone wants to pay serious cash for hd crt's anymore let alone 4:3 curved tube dinosaurs biggrin.gif.

You can get flat panels that hit nearly as deep in the blacks, can hold their black better with bigger portions of the screen lit for better static contrast, provide a higher resolution than even hd crt's, draw less power etc etc.

You can even do most of that and more on the cheap (600-800$) and buy a plasma which currently have life expectancies of 30 years (far from the original plasmas which burnt up in a few years).

If you can think of 1 legitimate reason why we should start production of crt's again i'm all ears, otherwise thanks for brightning my day with a good laugh biggrin.gif

EDIT: I should say i'm a big crt fan myself, and i love my 51" beast with all the tweaks and time i've put into it, but the majority of people don't know any of the benefits of crts, theres just no way you could convince even 3-4 % of the population that they should trade in their flat panels for something that can get slightly deeper on a black screen, or can do slightly better with gradation, especially with all the work that has to go into them to keep them going for even 10 years. I see directview tubes dying left and right, most of them are around 10 years old, we have to let them go and hope to god oled makes it to the mainstream. It has potential that sed and crt never had, it can do everything they did while also being thin, drawing little power and being very cost effective once the production line gets rolling.
post #14 of 251 Old 08-22-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ID4 View Post

big and heavy? and What? is a TV to keep him in a quiet place, not to have it hanging around all day.
You have to be fool to think that for a tv the image quality is not the most important , but is thin and large ... For what good is it to be thin and large? ...
I bought a TV to view images, so the important thing is the quality of the images.
I would not buy a TV because it is "cute", that is secondary.

That's all well and good. But the problem is that you and whoever you're with will have to crowd around that smallish tube tv to enjoy that superior pq. Don't forget, the larger the tube the more likely you'll get geometry problems. Since 16x9 is now the default aspect ratio for tv broadcasts, you have to make those tubes widescreen, which set-up even more potential problems. If you go large with projection sets, then you really do need professional calibration and they take up a lot of floor space. Today's top sets are very good to great in all aspects. You can enjoy them from a distance and they can be set up pretty easily without the need of a professional. Nostalga always makes things seem better than what they really were.

Now if I had a crt hdtv, I wouldn't get rid of it. But it wouldn't be my main tv. It would be where my 32" Panasonic crt sdtv is at, in a guest room.
post #15 of 251 Old 08-22-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I have an old Sony KX34XBR960 unused in a bedroom... I now use a Panasonic plasma... The Sony cost $2000 for a 34" screen, weighs 200+ lbs, supports 1080i only and bulky.... My Panasonic plasma is 46", has better geometry, excellent color, a sharper image (in hidef - true 1080P), weighs 60 lbs and cost $1000. CRTs are never coming back....

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #16 of 251 Old 08-22-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

I have an old Sony KX34XBR960 unused in a bedroom... I now use a Panasonic plasma... The Sony cost $2000 for a 34" screen, weighs 200+ lbs, supports 1080i only and bulky.... My Panasonic plasma is 46", has better geometry, excellent color, a sharper image (in hidef - true 1080P), weighs 60 lbs and cost $1000. CRTs are never coming back....

AGREED, and good riddance to them.wink.gif If the orignal poster would agree, I'd sell him my Sony 32xbr100 that was know of the best consumer television ever made for that $1,000.00.biggrin.gif There is no way that any CRT better my Sony xbr-55HX929.smile.gif
post #17 of 251 Old 08-22-2012, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
51" CRT - what? Never heard of such a beast, assuming that's not a typo or mistake. What would that weigh, about a ton? lol

post #18 of 251 Old 08-23-2012, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
He said it was a "crt rear pro," meaning "projector" television, which is an altogether different animal than a direct view CRT.
post #19 of 251 Old 08-23-2012, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Look up CRT rear projection, 73" is the max for them as far as I know.
About 240lbs for mine, lower power draw on them, and surprisingly good viewing angles on my hitachi, my only gripe is internal lens flare.
post #20 of 251 Old 08-23-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

Look up CRT rear projection, 73" is the max for them as far as I know.
About 240lbs for mine, lower power draw on them, and surprisingly good viewing angles on my hitachi, my only gripe is internal lens flare.

I just did, what a strange beast! I wonder if one would satisfy our thread starter? smile.gif

post #21 of 251 Old 08-24-2012, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

I just did, what a strange beast! I wonder if one would satisfy our thread starter? smile.gif

You do need a pretty large room for a beast like that though. If the only reason he needs a crt tv is to play older video game systems, then going on craigslist will satisfy his needs. You can still pick up some pretty good sets on there. For $100, he can probably buy three or four and have crt tvs for years (and depending on condition, decades) to come.
post #22 of 251 Old 08-24-2012, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

A strange beast indeed biggrin.gif most go for 100$ or so in the size I got, People are chucking them out the door cause of the bulk and picture after not cleaning the lenses for the lifetime of the tv. With clean lenses, and a bit of eyeballed calibration they throw a picture that beats a lot of lcds I've seen and can rival many plasmas.
It's a little above the op's nostalgic gaming needs though, I'm not entirely sure how a pixelated 8bit Atari game looks noticeably better on a CRT wink.gif
Maybe the op is bothered by input lag.
post #23 of 251 Old 08-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

These "strange" beasts do seem to be outliving single tube direct view crt's by alot of years though, so it may be the op's only choice in the near future. I can only imagine someone dragging a 42" plus crt rear pro (smallest size you can get) into their house to play atari games on, thats some seriously commendable dedication tongue.gif

I myself found no other realistic option for stealth games like thief and splinter cell, crt monitors are to small, direct view crt hdtv's are a slight implosion and radiation hazard, cheap lcds/led lcds suck for blacks and or have ghosting and older plasmas and budget plasmas don't do much better than lcd's until you start spending 800+ as well as having image retention issues when used as a monitor.
post #24 of 251 Old 08-24-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

The plasma also has image retention, dithering, buzzing, fixed resolution, phosphor lag, and potential burn-in.

The only issue I personally have with CRT is the geometry. People always bring up "size" or "weight" or even "power consumption". This is meaningless. The size and weight of the set is inconsequential, since you place it somewhere and don't move it. The screen size of a 32" or 36" is fine. It wasn't until 16x9 became ubiquitous that tubes couldn't keep up in size. Power consumption is not a concern, not when you have two dozen other devices in your house constantly drawing standby power for trivial purposes.

CRTs were just too much of a hassle for the manufacturers, not consumers. The fact that CRTs were pushed out of market by vastly inferior LCD panels shows us the truth. Most consumers fell for the marketing or just didn't care, and manufacturers benefitted from it.
post #25 of 251 Old 08-24-2012, 12:45 PM

I wish they could make LCD's or plasmas look halfway attractive for use in the living room or other formal areas. I'll take a 70's vintage 25" Zenith console in a wood cabinet any day over one of those butt-ugly black plastic and plexiglass LCD's. Even the last-generation flat screen CRT sets in silver cabinets with metal speaker grills look a lot classier than the vast expanse of flat black plastic of new TV's. I still use CRT TV's throughout my house, all on analog cable. My TV spends 22 hours "off" and only 2 hours "on" each day, so appearances while turned off are just as important to me as picture quality.
post #26 of 251 Old 08-24-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Beachboy View Post

I wish they could make LCD's or plasmas look halfway attractive for use in the living room or other formal areas. I'll take a 70's vintage 25" Zenith console in a wood cabinet any day over one of those butt-ugly black plastic and plexiglass LCD's. Even the last-generation flat screen CRT sets in silver cabinets with metal speaker grills look a lot classier than the vast expanse of flat black plastic of new TV's. I still use CRT TV's throughout my house, all on analog cable. My TV spends 22 hours "off" and only 2 hours "on" each day, so appearances while turned off are just as important to me as picture quality.

Everyone has a different definition for good taste. I think those old wood consoles are better for keeping nik-nak's than for a tv. Although it does provide a place to put other electronic devices on (like a big screen lcd tongue.gif). And I like sleek black electronic devices. If given a choice, i always buy the black version.
post #27 of 251 Old 08-24-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Reminds me of someone that still has an Edsel in the driveway. smile.gif
post #28 of 251 Old 08-25-2012, 08:38 AM

I agree let's keep our CRT Tv's...I used to work in a tv repair shop and I can tell you it's much easier and cheaper to fix an old CRT tv.
I have a Toshbia CRT with a convertor box hooked up to it and the picture is really amazing...I've seen Vizio LCD tv's that were only 1 year old coming into the shop for repair. LCD tv's don't last very long and they can be expensive to fix.

I'm not saying we shouldn't buy an LCD tv but it dosen't make sense to throw out our CRT sets if they are still working. I plan to have an LCD in the front room and keep my CRT set in the bedroom. It's not a bad idea to buy an extended warranty on these new sets to protect yourself if you do have a problem.
post #29 of 251 Old 08-25-2012, 09:43 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Reminds me of someone that still has an Edsel in the driveway. smile.gif

Edsel, nah. Model T maybe, or Pontiac GTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeycat View Post

I agree let's keep our CRT Tv's...I used to work in a tv repair shop and I can tell you it's much easier and cheaper to fix an old CRT tv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeycat View Post

I'm not saying we shouldn't buy an LCD tv but it dosen't make sense to throw out our CRT sets if they are still working.

Really is sad that we've become such a throw-away society.
post #30 of 251 Old 08-26-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlcohen View Post

it's dead - it will never come back.
The screens were small, bulky and heavy. Most people would sacrifice some picture quality to get a larger, thinner and lighter set.
There is not enough demand and it's not something you can really produce on a small scale and make any money.

And what's ironically funny is your post combined with your avatar image. smile.gif

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List