Sony Trinitron KV 1212 ( cabinet repairs and access) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-14-2012, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all this was the first color set I bought back in 1971 . I was 14 then and $280 was a lot of money to put out but it was a great TV. I can remember my dad would come in to my room to watch sports and the Tonight show, I remember him saying" that set has great picture, almost looks real" Well around 1985 I sold the set. to this day i have fond memories of that little TV and my dad and I watching it. The last few years I wanted to find a KV 1212 to replace that set from my youth. I recently found one on Craigslist in Ohio. It was $25 and cost about that to have it shipped to me in NH. The set is still working and I was able to refurb and clean the front knobs and contacts and re chrome the bezel etc. The only problem is that the top of the cabinet ( vinyl veneer) had warped and about 50% was lifted. I was able to use a hand steamer to flaten out most of the problem, area but it is still bubbly in spots. I tried to pull off the cabinet so I could unscrew the top carry handle and have easier access... but to no avail. Can someone direct me here?.( as well as reforming or replacing vinyl smile.gif) I just cant figure out the proper way to open her up. I would love to get inside and clean her out thoroughly and make adjustments etc. I just don't want to break anything along the way. If I can get the top of the cabinet lined up ( a few small vinyl fragments were lost but I was able to "harvest" almost identical Vinyl wood-grain from an old Realistic extension speaker) then the KV 1212 will show as about a 9. From an operation standpoint it is a 6.5. Thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-14-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Nice that you are restoring an old Sony!

There was one that sold on eBay for $36 not long ago. And, one found in the dumpster for free.

Appears the service manual is not available online, but can be purchased on eBay inexpensively.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #3 of 4 Old 08-21-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
I overhauled one of these many years ago. I don't recall any problem getting the case off. IIRC all you have to do is remove the plastic back, remove the controls from the front, unscrew the chassis from the bottom of the cabinet, and out it comes.

You will want to get the service manual. First thing to do is replace all the electrolytic capacitors.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-25-2012, 08:57 AM

Liked: 10
I bought my parents a 15" Sony tv...I think it was a 1972 or 1973 model....my day really liked it. You can find the service manual and troubleshooting guides at ServiceManuals.com. Just type the model no. into to the search box. My hobby was fixing sets and later I went to work for a repair shop and also managed the business for awhile. Assuming the picture tube is still ok I'd clean all of the controls and check the capacitors etc.

I recently bought an ESR cap tester on ebay for $50.00...if you don't have a tester then I guess you'll just have to replace them.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page