AVS Forum banner

KD-34XBR970 powers on works for one second then locks--switches to TEST GRID PATTERN and LOUD TEST TONE

823 views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  turnkit 
#1 ·
When I turn on my KD-34XBR970 it works for one second -- I can see and hear the DVD playing into the component input -- but then immediately switches to some internal test pattern. I don't have a memory card installed so this must be some mystery built-in calibration pattern. I can't find any mention of it on these boards.

This was triggered after I made my final service mode screen adjustments and then saved the parameters to non-volatile RAM, via + , and within a second or so the screen flipped into a GRID PATTERN and the television started producing a TEST TONE!

I can go into service mode again but the whole time the tv's blares the test audio tone and the video input cannot be switched. If I start the television normally the front panel and the remote don't do anything -- i.e. the television won't respond to anything but the power button on the front panel or the power button on the remote control

The internal grid pattern would have been really useful to know how to turn on when calibrating but now that I'm done I really need it off!

Here you can see the screen in service mode and normally:

See less See more
#2 ·
My theory at this point is that perhaps I either accidentally changed the setting that controls the test pattern display, or that perhaps I changed a setting that in turn through the TV into some sort of "SAFE MODE" in which case it throws itself into this display.

Anyone else ever see this?

Would love to know how to fix it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.