AVS Forum banner

Philips HD CRT won't sync with FIOS box

907 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Ratman 
#1 ·
Hello.

I have an older (obviously) 30" Philips HD CRT (can't tell what the exact model # is), & I can't get a signal from FIOS anymore. Basically, I turned it on via the FIOS remote, & it seemed to be in a menu I'd never seen before, I tried to exit, & now the tv just flashes the input # at top left on a dark grey screen. I tested the FIOS box on another tv, it's fine; & tried a different FIOS box, same result. Should I be attempting to restore tv to factory settings, & if so, how? TV has one HD input, via component.

Many thanks.

#2 ·
Are you sure your TV is set to the proper input(s)? My 2005 Philips 30PW8420 has HDMI, component, composite, and red & white audio. With the remote, below analog channel 2, the inputs go: HDMI, side, AV2, CVI, and AV1. Unless the TV is accessing the proper input, all you get is a blue screen.

If this isn't the problem, I don't know what else to suggest.

John

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpeth  /t/1426073/philips-hd-crt-wont-sync-with-fios-box#post_22339560

Are you sure your TV is set to the proper input(s)? My 2005 Philips 30PW8420 has HDMI, component, composite, and red & white audio. With the remote, below analog channel 2, the inputs go: HDMI, side, AV2, CVI, and AV1. Unless the TV is accessing the proper input, all you get is a blue screen.

If this isn't the problem, I don't know what else to suggest.

John

Thanks for the reply, but yes, there's only one input that even takes HD, via component (no HDMI). It was all set up working fine for the last year or so with FIOS, Directv before that. & like I said, it's not a blue screen, but a dark grey screen, with the input flashing in a box in the top left hand corner. I think I accidentally accessed a service menu or something on the FIOS side of things, if I remember correctly it was giving me the option of changing from 1080i etc, but on a greyed out screen that was not the normal menu screen...I tried to exit (without ever changing tv input), & lost the connection.

Thanks again.

#4 ·
Just played around with giving the same input a different source, & the input works fine when I plug a bluray player in with the same component cables. So it seems to be some weird connectivity issue with FIOS that occurred when I pressed that button as described in post 1. Spoke to FIOS yesterday & they're insisting it's my tv. Which it apparently isn't.

#5 ·
Take the FiOS box to a working TV and verify the video output settings of the box. Maybe it got set to output 720p, which your TV does not (probably) support.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman  /t/1426073/philips-hd-crt-wont-sync-with-fios-box#post_22341679

Take the FiOS box to a working TV and verify the video output settings of the box. Maybe it got set to output 720p, which your TV does not (probably) support.

Thanks...I tried a brand new set-top box which coincidentally was just sent to me for a new tv, & it didn't work either, & I presumed that it was giving me 1080i out of the box. But that's a good idea, I'll hook it up to a working tv & see what it says it's outputting.

Thanks again.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman  /t/1426073/philips-hd-crt-wont-sync-with-fios-box#post_22341679

Thank you! That did the trick. I presumed that the new box that FIOS sent me would be 1080i out of the box, but hooking it up to a tv that I guess could handle the different settings showed that it was actually 720p. Changed it to 1080i & plugged back it into the Philips tv & all is well. Weird, I must have accidentally changed the resolution on the 1st box. Now I think of it, when I had directv I could change the setting manually on the front of the box, but with FIOS you can only do it via remote, which doesn't do you much good if you can't see what you're doing.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.