Sharp crt tv red patch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-27-2012, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is a red patch on the upper right corner of my Sharp CRT television and it appears whenever it's showing a white or bright background. Can anyone help me ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-28-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Could need to be degaussed, especially if you recently repositioned it. Most if not all somewhat modern CRTs degauss on power up (the boing sound you hear on power up) so it's normally cured after several on/off cycles (ALWAYS let it cool ~20 minutes between cycles or it can fry the degauss circuit). Some CRTs have a manual degauss in the menu that can be performed while the TV is on (SAME cooling rule applies with this method). If this doesn't cure it see if the 'blob' changes when you shift the position of the TV 90 degress right or left (i.e. it's an earth magnetic pole thing).

I have an old CRT that the degauss circuit fried on so I had to manually degauss it from the circuit of another old CRT. It's dangerous so I'm not going to suggest it here unless you have electronic experience.

Other than that the picture tube is just getting old, maybe a circuit issue, or one of the magnets on the back of the picture tube fell off (glued on and can get dislodged with banging around).

post #3 of 3 Old 08-29-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm going to try those suggestions and yeah the picture tube is pretty old it's about 15 years old now. I think the reason all of this started happening is because one time when I was trying to adjust the cable in the back of the tv it fell down and started flashing green and turned off . Now every once in a while the tv cuts off randomly and you have to wait 30 seconds before you can turn it back on or it will make a clicking sound as though the tube trying to turn on. Wow and to think this TV could have a lasted a bit longer if I hadn't dropped it.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page