Help with xbr960 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-15-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought one used and I'm having problems getting an HD picture. I've plugged in an HDMI cable, no picture just sound. Then I plugged my DVD player through component cables and the image quality looks exactly the same through regular a/v cables. I am tech illiterate so if someone could help me I'd really appreciate it. I just bought this TV and would hate to get rid of it already (especially since it weighs a ton).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-16-2012, 04:40 PM

go into the user menu and change the resolution to 720p or 1080i. also cycle through the inputs pressing the tv/video button til u find whatever youre using (dvd player, cable, etc.)
post #3 of 8 Old 09-16-2012, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, where exactly do I change the resolution? I can't seem to find it in the menu display.
post #4 of 8 Old 09-17-2012, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am sorry but we have no way of knowing how to operate your DVD player. If it is a cheap one it might be unwilling to provide any video signal but 1080p which this TV doesn't support. Try a different HDMI device and set it to output 1080i.

It's possible the card in the TV that handles HDMI has failed but they're cheap to replace.
Quote:
Then I plugged my DVD player through component cables and the image quality looks exactly the same through regular a/v cables.
I don't understand, are you saying there is also no picture when plugged in through RCA cables?
post #5 of 8 Old 09-17-2012, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

My problem is I am not getting a good picture regardless of whether I use an HDMI or component cable, both are capable of HD signals aren't they? I get no picture with either cable on HD channels, just sound. I checked my DVD player (Sony brand) with both component and regular A/V cables and the picture is the same with both cables. Shouldn't the picture on the DVD player be in progressive (480p) with component cables?

James mentioned changing the resolution to 720p or 1080i but I can't find where to do that. I've gone through "interlaced" and "progressive" on DRC mode and there's hardly any difference. The HD channels still have no picture and SD channels look really pixelated regardless of choice.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-17-2012, 10:49 AM

A DVD player won't upscale a DVD over component cables. If they do 1080i over component cables at all it'll be 540p with quaded pixels. Also, they won't automatically output 480p over component but have to be set to 480p as some old TVs with component inputs don't handle a progressive signal.

DVD is a poor quality format so component isn't going to be a night and day difference over composite despite how bad composite is.
Quote:
I get no picture with either cable on HD channels, just sound.
Is this from the TV's own tuners or external boxes through HDMI?
Quote:
James mentioned changing the resolution to 720p or 1080i but I can't find where to do that.
He was talking about your DVD player.
Quote:
The HD channels still have no picture and SD channels look really pixelated regardless of choice.
Pixelated? Sounds like bad reception?
post #7 of 8 Old 09-17-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can set my DVD player to progressive scan, I'm assuming it's capable since it has component cable inputs.

The HD channels are through my Comcast digital box. When I turn it to an HD channel a blue light turns on the digital box (indicating HD), but with both HDMI and component all I get is sound. The HDMI is input 7, the component cables are input 5 and 6.

I'm not sure if pixelated is the right term but, yeah, it doesn't look that good. Whether it's Interlaced, progressive, int he DRC menu, etc. there seems to be pixelation around the outlines of different objects, especially when they move.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-18-2012, 07:57 AM

If you plug in through composite there will always be dot crawl which may be the pixelation you are seeing. TV broadcasts in the US are usually in low quality and highly compressed MPEG-2 streams so there will always be some quality issues with those.

Many pay TV devices won't do HD over component.

I suggest you try with some HDMI device other than your cable box. Possibly someone you know owns a Blu-ray player? A 2010 or earlier model will play Blu-ray discs in HD over both HDMI and component.

If the cable box won't do HD over HDMI to the TV it makes me think either the cable box is faulty or the TV's HDMI card is faulty or more likely there is some compatibility issue between them - this sometimes happens with early HDMI devices.

There are intermediary devices that can sort out incompatibility issues but the first thing is to figure out whether the TV's HDMI card or cable box are faulty. Also try plugging the cable box into another HDMI HDTV.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page