FW900 owned for 5-6 years, used about every day, still worth buying? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-16-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am considering buying it for about $400 but I want to know if it will die on me soon and if so how soon? The guy says it still looks perfect with no signs of dying: no color tints, color bias, faded blacks, bad geometry, nothing like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-17-2012, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Back in 2009, I picked up a 34xs955 (same SFP tube as the 960)for 350.00. Drove 2.5 hours to get it too. I've been lucky and have used it now nearly every day since for almost 3 years with ZERO issues.

The build date was Nov 2004, so it has some hours on it now. At the time I thought I was paying too much, but I would pay it again for another three years with one of these great sets.

However, I would try and get the seller down. 400 is very optimistic on their part...
post #3 of 4 Old 09-18-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hard to say how long it will last but My FW900 lasted 8 years considering the build date of May 2002. I bought it used off Ebay in 2005 so I'm not sure how much use it had prior to that, but it was used heavily for the 5 years I owned it and had a great picture til the day it quit working.

The last FW900 was made in 2003 so at this point in time its risky business buying one used especially without a warranty.

Ive been considering buying the fully calibrated units on Ebay but they're pricey and the seller doesn't ship (local pickup only) which is about a 3 hour drive from here. (Link)
post #4 of 4 Old 09-18-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hell yeah. I've been eyeing the used marked for this monitor and was able to find it recently. I bought it for 130$ in good condition. I wasn't able to calibrate it perfectly with Windas yet, but even now the results are staggering.

dsc7844o.th.jpgdsc7845v.th.jpgdsc7841p.th.jpgdsc7843m.th.jpgdsc7840c.th.jpgdsc7846.th.jpg

My camera doesn't do this monster justice! It is much more smooth and detalied here (some highlights in the shadows and lights are killed by the camera), and much more dynamic range.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page