Replacement CRT - Loewe vs. B&O - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 88 Old 09-19-2012, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello There,

I was looking to get a replacement CRT and was debating a few issues: HD vs. Analogue, among other things. Here are the TV's I have come up with and I have read a lot on this. Please don't suggest any Sony or RCA's, I am sure the XBR960 is a great TV but often costs more than the Loewe and I want a TV that's made in the USA, Germany or Denmark as the Loewe and B&O were. These TV's often come up on Craigslist for the $100-$300 range.

Loewe Aconda - 32" vs. 38"? From what I read the 32 had a better picture but could not accept 1080i through Component where the 38" had no problem with that? I love the Piano Black (although it can be a bit distracting maybe when watching the picture.

B&O Beovision 32 Avant - I have heard good things about this TV and that the picture qualit is even better than the Aconda, but it is only 480p maximum... So it is Analogue. I don't think that B&O produced any TV's that were HD CRTs?

Loewe Planus (No HD and not that aesthetically pleasing) as well as any other Loewe's I may find that are CRTs?

So my battle is between getting a Loewe that has 1080i or getting a B&O that has only 480P. As I mentioned some people claim that the Beovision Avant still has a much better image even at 480p than the Aconda at 1080i. That's on top of the B&O being more reliable and less calibration needed from what I have heard.. I don't have the luxury or time of seeing either of them in person.

If I choose the Loewe, I wanted to get peoples opinions on how well it upscales. I don't watch my television (except the occasional Xfinity on demand movie) and would want to see how it looks at 720P/1080i via Component Video input from Laserdisc, DVD and Blu-Ray as compared to an Avant with 480P via the same component video input from the same sources.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 Old 09-22-2012, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm not sure why you'd care where a second hand TV was made but if I had to choose out of that list I'd go for the 38" Loewe Aconda. Read about it in these threads

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1300869/looking-to-buy-an-crt-hdtv-will-be-my-first-hdtv/
http://www.avsforum.com/t/962437/loewe-aconda-owners/

There were different models of 38" / 40" Aconda. Some did HD, others didn't, whether the SD models were sold in the USA I don't know. I do remember there were two revisions of their top 38" HD model, the first was very prone to breaking down and the second added input features and was far more reliable. I think the problem with the first revision was it was made in a new American factory but the second was exported from Germany. I think the Loewes were exceptional at handling SD. My memory is hazy so some of this could be wrong.
post #3 of 88 Old 09-22-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I passed on a 38" Aconda for $25 in hopes of getting a 960 (I kinda only have one shot at getting help to lug one of these beasts). I thought about it and decided a built-in HD tuner, HDMI, and a flat screen were more important than the extra 4" and potential reliability issues (at least it seems that way per the little amount of info I could find on these forums). There's also some nice features on the Sony, it's several years newer, has a higher resolution tube (Super Fine Pitch), and these forums have a plethora of info (ex: service menu info) vs. very little on the Loewe.

BTW there's an RCA that is similar to the Aconda, at least I've read it uses the same picture tube (RCA which would be owned by Thomson which is one my least favorite conglomerates).

post #4 of 88 Old 09-25-2012, 10:00 AM

Just sent you a PM.
post #5 of 88 Old 09-25-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your help so far. I think I am leaning towards the Loewe. Hello SaveTheXBR960, I didn't receive a PM from you...
post #6 of 88 Old 09-26-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Also I was wondering if the Loewe or any of these TVs mentioned will upscale the image to 720P or 1080i automatically from Composite or S-Video? The reason I ask is that I will be playing LD as well and was wondering if there is an upscaling filter of some sort built into the TV or if that only kicks in with Component video input from the Blu-Ray or DVD? Will the LD look better upscaled to 720p/1080i (and more like Hi-Vision Muse) rather than playing at SD? I have heard that it looks better through composite than S-Video as well?
post #7 of 88 Old 09-27-2012, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Nearly all HD CRT TVs are monosync devices. What the Aconda ACO9383 would do is line double SD, which looks good if done right.

Native support for 720p in HD CRT TVs is very rare. The Sonys would convert it to 1080i or 540p. I don't know if the Loewes would accept that signal but it isn't all that important.

Unfortunately there is very little information about the Aconda out there. Possibly the difference I remember reading between the early and later 9383s was the accepting of 1080i or YPbPr 1080i through one or two ports. Maybe the pages I read this info are now offline. Very rare 92" Kg decade old CRTs aren't big discussion items.

This I think is the equivalent RCA model
http://www.avsforum.com/t/280931/how-are-rca-f38310-owners-doing/
post #8 of 88 Old 09-27-2012, 04:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 273
If the Loewe is anything like the F38310, the native display is either 540p or 1080i. So, 480i input gets deinterlaced to 540p. It doesn't accept 720p. 1080i obviously is displayed as 1080i.
post #9 of 88 Old 11-09-2012, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

So I've narrowed it down to the Loewe. Unfortunately I have seen some 30" CRTs which have the Philips Flat Tube CRT and are also 1080i via component input. Has anyone seen both the 30" and 38" Aconda's and does anyone know the main differences between them. Which has the better Picture Quality?
post #10 of 88 Old 12-11-2012, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

I ended up going for the 30" Aconda due to the flat screen. I found it on Craigslist for $40 in the Piano Black finish. Picture quality is amazing. Better even than the Pioneer Elite display's I've seen at Best Buy... I set it up for 1080i via component video. A few questions:

1. I see that there's another input for 1080i via VGA (HD15?) that they call SRGB. Will it work with a VGA to Component Video adapter if I wanted to hook up a comcast Cable Box to watch HD television on it?

2. The Blu-Ray player plays DVDs and the internal line doubler in the TV via Component seems to upconvert to 1080i just fine. However, when I put a Blu-Ray disc in, it stretches everything and looks really twitchy and weird, UNTIL I press Stop or Menu, then for a few seconds it displays it normally but then of course if I press stop or menu it goes into the Blu-Ray menu and stops the movie from playing...

3. How important is calibration on the TV? Is there a way to do it myself? I heard about DVDs you can download, etc...? Do I just adjust the colour settings, contrast, etc... to a colour chart or is it more complex and has to do with geometry and other things besides colour/contrast? For now would making a colour bar DVD be enough?
post #11 of 88 Old 12-13-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronKatz View Post

3. How important is calibration on the TV? Is there a way to do it myself? I heard about DVDs you can download, etc...? Do I just adjust the colour settings, contrast, etc... to a colour chart or is it more complex and has to do with geometry and other things besides colour/contrast? For now would making a colour bar DVD be enough?

If you can find the service menu access codes and a service manual to tell you which codes are the cuts/gains to adjust the grey scale, you can make a 19" rca look incredible. Same for the higher end units.. need to have the software and meter to do the calibration and then the access and info for the service menu.
You can down load the AVS 709 disk, http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration/0_100
burn to DVD and play in a BR player to properly set brightness, contrast and sharpness.
If you are handy and know what you are doing inside a CRT, one of the the biggest fixes I have done on CRTs is to adjust the fly back focus.

Biggest problem with doing anything on these old beasts is getting info on them..
post #12 of 88 Old 03-18-2014, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

So my Aconda transformer died and I ended up getting a Sony XBR960 as I couldn't find an Aconda or Articos for sale. UNFORTUNATELY after owning the Loewe the XBR960 is soooooooooo underwhelming. The colours are not nearly as lush, the contrast/black levels are not the same. The XBR960 is a bit sharper, but everything else about it from the cheap looking design to it being worst in motion scene, etc.... I'm sad and can't wait to get another Loewe...

On top of that, everything looks kinda grainy on the Sony and more pixelated. Just much less clear and vivid. The biggest dissapointment, it's kinda crappy so I don't know why everyone was raving about this TV. Wish the Loewe still worked frown.gif
post #13 of 88 Old 03-19-2014, 07:47 AM

Liked: 11
The 960 should look as good or better than the loewe, although I think the loewe will take Rgb. I believe the loewes were better calibrated from the factory where many sony sets were just shoved out the door. The sony sets have tons of extra junk inside the service menu that needs to be disabled or minimized as well
post #14 of 88 Old 03-19-2014, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextGen View Post

The 960 should look as good or better than the Loewe, although I think the Loewe will take Rgb. I believe the loewes were better calibrated from the factory where many sony sets were just shoved out the door. The sony sets have tons of extra junk inside the service menu that needs to be disabled or minimized as well

Have you seen the Loewe wth HD content or owned the Loewe before? If you search these forums or anywhere on Google, almost every response will be that the Loewe has much more rich and vivid colours, less prone to ghosting and pixelating, and will have a bit more depth (3D type look).... The Sony is supposed to be sharper due to the Super Fine Pitch with more lines, etc... but to be honest, it doesn't seem that way at all, I mean it may be a bit sharper, but the colours are horrible.

I tried adjusting the "picture" and "color" settings but unfortunately at the max it just makes everyone a bit red instead of actually increasing the vividness of the colours. Compared to the Loewe the Sony seems washed out and pixelated. I know that an ISF calibration might make it a bit better but I have no idea how to do that and even if I did, I doubt it would get anywhere near the Loewe... It's really night and day. It's amazing that this was considered the "best" consumer CRT HDTV ever made when the Loewe is like on a different planet.

If anyone wants to prove me wrong, please talk me through the menu's and what to change and turn off and on, etc... If I can get this looking like the Loewe, at least in terms of color depth, then I will be a happy camper! :-)
post #15 of 88 Old 03-19-2014, 12:20 PM

Liked: 11
Isf calibration still won't fix everything on the Sony sets unless the person doing it tweaks it for a pure picture. No enhancements, sharpening, etc.

As I recall the Loewe's have higher spec components in them, possibly military grade which could be why they look better to an extent. They also accept rgb out of the box.

So yeah, I can believe the loewe looks better, but the content maters too. I'm not sure if the Loewe resolves the amount of resolution as the sfp sony sets, so as far as newer generation video games and bluray one might prefer the sony over the Loewe. But for retro gaming and broadcast material the loewe is probably preferred.

You should get it fixed.
post #16 of 88 Old 03-19-2014, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextGen View Post

Isf calibration still won't fix everything on the Sony sets unless the person doing it tweaks it for a pure picture. No enhancements, sharpening, etc.

As I recall the Loewe's have higher spec components in them, possibly military grade which could be why they look better to an extent. They also accept rgb out of the box.

So yeah, I can believe the loewe looks better, but the content maters too. I'm not sure if the Loewe resolves the amount of resolution as the sfp sony sets, so as far as newer generation video games and bluray one might prefer the sony over the Loewe. But for retro gaming and broadcast material the loewe is probably preferred.

You should get it fixed.

I think everything looks better on the Loewe. I watched the same content on both, and same channels, and Blueray, etc... Everything looks better and the contrast, colors, etc... are just so lush. It's hard to explain but I've never seen such vivid colors and black levels on any set. And BTW, I had the 30" Loewe that had the Philips tube, not the 38" which was more popular and had the RCA tube. So mine is a true flat screen kind of like the Sony, not the rounded one on the 38...

I wish I could get it fixed, but I don't know who would have an extra transformer, and how much the repair would be. If the repair is a few hundred dollars, I could just wait it out until I find another Loewe Aconda or Articos for sale...
post #17 of 88 Old 03-19-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Darn, I could have had a Loewe Aconda 38" that appeared to be in great condition for $25. I'm interested in how this compares after adjustments. Of course that Sony could be 'well used.'

post #18 of 88 Old 03-22-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey BaronKat
Quote:

I wish I could get it fixed, but I don't know who would have an extra transformer, and how much the repair would be. If the repair is a few hundred dollars, I could just wait it out until I find another Loewe Aconda or Articos for sale...

I see an unusual Loewe on Craigslist in the Dallas area, let me know if that works and I'll post the info.

There's also a broken Aconda 38" in Houston for free currently listed at the top of the CRT forum, but he wants $50 for the HV power supply kit he bought but never got around to installing it (claims that's a common problem on Loewes - maybe the same as your problem?).

There's a for sale section for CRTs on AVS too.

post #19 of 88 Old 03-24-2014, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

Hey BaronKat
I see an unusual Loewe on Craigslist in the Dallas area, let me know if that works and I'll post the info.

There's also a broken Aconda 38" in Houston for free currently listed at the top of the CRT forum, but he wants $50 for the HV power supply kit he bought but never got around to installing it (claims that's a common problem on Loewes - maybe the same as your problem?).

Thank you but I'm in the San Francisco area so Texas is quite far to order a TV. I think I will just wait until something comes up locally.

On another note, the Sony XBR960 looks GREAT with Blurays. Good colors, contrast, sharpness, black levels, everything (still not as good on the colors and black levels as the Loewe) but when you view ANYTHING else except for Full HD from a Bluray disc it looks horribly pixelated and crappy. For example HD on Comcast looks horrid and washed out (even on demand TV shows), Netflix streaming looks aweful, etc... there must be some setting in the service menu, I have the TV on Pro which turns off most of the settings... and things look better than Vivid but the pixelation and washed out picture are still there just 10% better. I'm wondering if this has to do with the scaler or something like that. On my Loewe it never seemed pixelated or washed out on anything I watched whether Xfinity, Netflix, etc... unless I was playing a bad 480 stream and even then it fixed it somehow...
post #20 of 88 Old 03-24-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Indeed it is far. You might keep tabs on that Houston guy though if that power supply kit is what you need in the very likely event he ends up scrapping the TV. Probably get it cheaper than $50, I mean what's he gonna do with the kit then?

Yeah something smells rotten in Denmark, especially the pixelation. Almost like it's getting low D from the other sources, or something's mismatched, broken, etc. I'd try all HD sources on the same inputs, both HDMI and component if possible. I don't know what's hooked to what but I think this TV only has one HDMI input.
BaronKatz likes this.

post #21 of 88 Old 03-24-2014, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hey BaronKat

PM me with his details. I want to see if this will work on the 30" as well and ask him if it's the same problem. Thank you!
post #22 of 88 Old 03-24-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

PM me with his details. I want to see if this will work on the 30" as well and ask him if it's the same problem. Thank you!

Here's the post: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1523658/loewe-aconda-38-needs-a-new-home#post_24513110
BaronKatz likes this.

post #23 of 88 Old 03-24-2014, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Indeed it is far. You might keep tabs on that Houston guy though if that power supply kit is what you need in the very likely event he ends up scrapping the TV. Probably get it cheaper than $50, I mean what's he gonna do with the kit then?

Yeah something smells rotten in Denmark, especially the pixelation. Almost like it's getting low D from the other sources, or something's mismatched, broken, etc. I'd try all HD sources on the same inputs, both HDMI and component if possible. I don't know what's hooked to what but I think this TV only has one HDMI input.

I tried everything from the same source (Component) and it seems that only the BluRay player (with a BluRay disc) plays with no pixelization and normal contrast/colors, etc... From the same component input... The HDMI cable makes the cable TV seem about the same as component, except the colors aren't as harsh but it's practically the same in terms of pixelization, etc... When I try playing Netflix from a set top box, unless the content is Full HD then it has this problem again. It almost seems that if there's anything less than what the TV is designed to handle (HD) then it pixelates, loses contrast and color and looks horrid.
post #24 of 88 Old 03-24-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

It's the pixelation that bothers me, I mean it probably shouldn't do that even with SD unless it's a crappy low bit rate source (ex: a broadcast sub-channel (ex: 5.2, 5.3, etc.)). Now contrast, color, and the like are often dependent on the source and have to be set in the user menu for each type.

You know the TV is capable of working properly based on the BR player, almost sounds like source issues of some kind (i.e. like the sources' internal settings). If the BR player has an HDMI output try it that way since you know it's a good source. HDMI has all that digital hand-shaking magic...

Now that you've gotten one of these Sonys, why don't you share this over yonder 960 thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/408146/the-official-kd-34xbr960-thread/8100#post_24499472

Some real 960 experts over there.
BaronKatz likes this.

post #25 of 88 Old 03-25-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

BK, I didn't want to interrupt your fresh post over yonder 960 thread but the N model is without the AG film:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinitron/WEGA

It does seem backwards, I guess the N stands for No film rather than No glare. biggrin.gif

I'm curious about your US vs. Mejico question. Heck I would have thought Japan. I guess they had to change in later years to cut costs. My Panny is made in Japan but it's from the early years of these type sets (no DVI or HDMI nor ATSC tuner). Funny how I now associate made in Japan with German-like quality, especially since the early years of MIJ was how most including myself currently feel about made in China.

Speaking of ATSC tuner, did you try your 960's tuner vs. your PQ issue?
BaronKatz likes this.

post #26 of 88 Old 03-25-2014, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

BK, I didn't want to interrupt your fresh post over yonder 960 thread but the N model is without the AG film:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinitron/WEGA

It does seem backwards, I guess the N stands for No film rather than No glare. biggrin.gif

I'm curious about your US vs. Mejico question. Heck I would have thought Japan. I guess they had to change in later years to cut costs. My Panny is made in Japan but it's from the early years of these type sets (no DVI or HDMI nor ATSC tuner). Funny how I now associate made in Japan with German-like quality, especially since the early years of MIJ was how most including myself currently feel about made in China.

Speaking of ATSC tuner, did you try your 960's tuner vs. your PQ issue?

Thanks for this info. The anti-glare coating doesn't seem to bother me and it might increase the contrast if anything, although it does attract fingerprints, etc....

I think most of the Sony CRTs I have seen were made in the USA or Mexico, even throughout the 1990s and 2000s... The ones that were made in Japan were the PVM and BVM (Professional and Broadcast Video Monitors) and these were in the 10s of thousands of dollars. Loewe made their early Aconda's in the USA and the later ones in Germany (the USA ones had serious reliability issues, especially with the power supply...) The Pioneer Elite Kuro's were mostly made in the USA and Japan depending on the model. Most TV's today are Made in Mexico (as were most of the XBR960s I have seen). This is due to the logistics of having to ship from Japan as well as the cheaper labour in Mexico (with no import duties thanks to NAFTA). The TV's all look pretty cheap to me and to be honest, there aren't many TV's made today with the build and beauty of the Pioneer Elite Kuro's. The only exceptions to this are the Loewe (Made in Germany - which aren't sold in the US anymore) and Bang and Olufsen (Made in Denmark - which are way too expensive) and of course professional monitors... There is one company making their TVs in the US now, but they have pretty bad picture quality and are rather a budget TV... Europe gets way better stuff than we do ;-) In the UK you can pick up a Loewe Aconda or Articos for pennies... In the UK I even had a neighbor through away a great condition B&O MX4000 with remote and it was stunning both in picture and build... Much harder to find all that here, especially at a bargain.

Loewe's new reference set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qjAPLGllyE If I had the money, I would try to import one somehow...
post #27 of 88 Old 03-25-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Loewe, RCA, and ProScan 38" CRT's (the tube) were all manufactured in Mexico.
The rest of the components... who knows? (or cares now tongue.gif)
BaronKatz likes this.
post #28 of 88 Old 03-25-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

The Loewe, RCA, and ProScan 38" CRT's (the tube) were all manufactured in Mexico.
The rest of the components... who knows? (or cares now tongue.gif)

What about the Philips tube in my 30" Aconda? :-) As for the components, I know the panels were painted by BMW in Germany for the Glossy models, the other components, I've seen spanish made flyback transformers, and other bits. I'm sure that some of the electronics/processors came from Germany... and at least in the case of my TV it was assembled at the Loewe factory in Germany...
post #29 of 88 Old 03-25-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What about the Philips tube in my 30" Aconda?
I don't know... I only addressed the 38" CRT's. Not assembly or manufacture of the majority of components.
Paint jobs and Spanish flies are a totally different discussion. But there's a good chance your 30" CRT/tube wasn't manufactured in in Germany.
BaronKatz likes this.
post #30 of 88 Old 03-25-2014, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

I don't know... I only addressed the 38" CRT's. Not assembly or manufacture of the majority of components.
Paint jobs and Spanish flies are a totally different discussion. But there's a good chance your 30" CRT/tube wasn't manufactured in in Germany.

Well Philips is Dutch but even at the time my Philips Pronto (Marantz branded) remote is made in Belgium and was over $1000 new.... I am sure the tube is either made somewhere in Northern Europe or possibly in North America but I am almost positive it wouldn't have been made in Germany.

But what sets B&O and Loewe apart from the competition (besides the good looks/design and build quality) are the video processors (since they essentially use other companies tubes or panels yet make the picture look completely different). These processors, electronics, and engineering, is about half the price of the TV. The Beovision Avant Video processor units is what made them look almost 3D and cost half the price of the TV from what I've seen...

This is what I don't really get about people complaining about the new Loewe or B&O sets "Oh they use Samsung or other peoples LED's now so it's not the same..." It's as if they didn't use other companies tubes back in the day... I think throughout the 80s-90s most of those TV's have used other companies tubes if I'm not mistaken? Didn't the Beovision Avant and others also have a Philips or other tube? In which case they all looked stunning and the new ones look good too (although the difference is not as big). I've heard some people review the new Loewe's as the "new Pioneer Elite Kuro" since the Kuro has been out of the picture for the past few years.... Essentially they have always been good and remain so... What's the point of complaining about them not using their own tubes when they haven't in the last few decades?
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page