Please Bring Back CGA CRT Arcade Monitors back into the production line. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-25-2012, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,

I remember when I was a kid playing arcade games. These arcade games are classic and had CRT tube arcade monitors in each machine. I liked the classic arcades machines that has a CGA CRT vertical monitor. There are lots of arcade games with CRT monitors in them. I would like classic CGA CRT arcade monitors to come back into the production line. So If the monitor goes out, they can replace the CGA CRT arcader monitor with another CGA CRT monitor, instead of replacing these monitors with LCD or other technology that is not designed to work like the CRT moniotr does for these classic arcade games.

Please bring back CGA CRT arcade monitors back into the production line for the arcade collectors and for those that play classic arcade machines

Thanks,

Chris biggrin.gif

I like CRT TV's and CRT Arcade Monitors the most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah I'm sure they'll get right on that...

Seriously though, don't be afraid of flat panel technology in the arcade. I went to the Galloping Ghost Arcade in Chicago, and they had a Arkanoid cabinet retrofitted with an LCD screen. The LCD screen worked perfectly. Instantaneous response time, just as good as a CRT. It felt like you were directly controlling the paddle, not inputting some command that would be processed for a while before it displayed onscreen. The colors really popped too. They probably had some serious Analog to Digital conversion hardware inside, I never asked though, I'll try to remember to next time.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I've seen ads for stand-up arcade machines that have lots of old games loaded on them but I don't know what type of display they employ. Appear marketed for home use and price not too bad either.

I've got a vintage Donkey Kong stand-up machine. The left side image started cutting about a half inch off over the years, I tried adjusting it via a pot on the main [computer/brain] PCB but that made it freak out (image goes all bizarre with all sorts of text). Made for some challenging play to the left. I more recently compromised by adjusting the CRT pots to shrink the image down enough to display the entire game. If anyone knows something about this malady or can point me to the right resource it would be greatly appreciated.
They made a table-top version too and mine has a DIP switch selection for this application. One time I flipped it without my cousin knowing, Player 1 was normal and when his turn came up on Player 2 the screen was upside down eek.giftongue.gifbiggrin.gif. We got so good at the game we wanted to try and play it upside down but it requires a second set of controls.