Will we ever see another non-fixed pixel TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-03-2012, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if any technology is in the works for a new line of CRT televisions or some other sort of TV technology that doesn't have a fixel pixel display? I really hate the scaling that takes place on them (which is why I have stockpiled a bunch of Sony HD CRT sets). I'm not holding out hope, as most companies seem to have embraced fixel pixel and ignored all alternatives, but if anyone has any info on this topic, I'd appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-04-2012, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Laser light shows use the equivalent of a scanning technology, so (in principle at least) laser based projectors wouldn't necessarily have fixed resolutions. Bear in mind, however, that all sources are now digital, so only fixed-resolution source material is available, with a fixed color palate. Even when film is used for recording, it promptly gets scanned and digitized for downstream processing. Unless you're using a CRT projector with separate RGB tubes, even the screen of a CRT monitor has a fixed resolution with each individual pixel containing three or four separate phosphor regions.

Selden
post #3 of 4 Old 10-04-2012, 07:21 PM

Liked: 12
Probably not in the foreseeable future. SED and FED were the only hopes that I know of and they both have died due to patent issues and other such problems.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-06-2012, 08:13 AM
ID4

Liked: 10
Although FED is fixed-display, the nature of Spindt FED allows you to work with other resolution other than the native, with the same quality as if it were.

In other words, because of the thousands of "emiters" Behind every pixel, can work almost in analog, as does being Multisync CRT.

This ability is patented in the FED, I think it will take to be marketed, but in the end it will be marketed only for professionals.

One of the major problems, perhaps the greatest of all the current TV technologies, it can not handle more than one resolution at a fixed frequency, as the CRT do, and we need it.

Seems that It can work in interlaced if needed, so no need to do lossy I/P conversion.

More info about FED to be Multisync:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2138644&goto=nextnewest

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=47442

Sony patent

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=rVcOAAAAEBAJ&output=text
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page