How's this for color - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-23-2012, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Good 'ol 70's TV, just "barely" solid state, simulated wood paneling, and on top of that, a Samsung prototype.

I just HAD to show this picture off, since this screenshot is used to show off home theaters here..

tvcolor.jpg

Full view: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Evilweredragon/tvcolor.jpg

This post is meant to be a joke, but you gotta admit, the color isn't that bad actually, lol. It's pretty decent for it's age..

Another view of this TV: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Evilweredragon/IMG_0624.jpg

Keep in mind, this isn't my nice living room TV that's 1080p. This TV is just my bedroom TV. But I did have this TV calibrated in it's white balance, so it is D65 (as close as it can get considering it's limited internal controls). But like I said, it isn't all that bad. It is 300 ohms RF only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-24-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yeah, I'd call this a miracle biggrin.gif
post #3 of 12 Old 10-27-2012, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I also have this. My Sony PVM vs this old TV.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Evilweredragon/comparison.jpg

Both are D65 calibrated, but still don't look quote the same for obvious reasons.
post #4 of 12 Old 10-27-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I had a similar vintage 19" RCA 'knobber'/300 ohm that I tuned up the best I knew how...was good to practice on. I was surprised how good the ol' gal looked. Only problem was it picked up noise from the DTV converter box which I suspect was due to the fact that it wasn't designed to 'shield' against digital noise, probably the knob tuner; when I placed the converter box further away it cleared up. I donated it to a local charity with a detailed note about the converter box requirement and the need to fine tune channel 3/4 with the knob fine-tuner so that whomever got it wouldn't just toss it thinking it didn't work properly.

post #5 of 12 Old 10-27-2012, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mine doesn't get any noise, but I have to make sure I use a good balun. I use a Blonder Tongue AM-60-550 RF modulator, tuned to UHF 27 (the highest it "legally" will go--it can do channel 37, even though not advertised to, but that's for astronomy use so I won't use it, just in case it does cause interference). These modulators were used in broadcasting, so they are nearly perfect in every regard.

This is my bedroom TV, so I had to calibrated it to D65 to the best it could, so that way it didn't look like crap.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

UHF 27 vs. my VHF 3/4 could be it, frequencies and/or completely different tuners (at least on the RCA). Or maybe just the TV differences themselves although RCA made them pretty good back then. Not even RCA anymore > Thomson.

post #7 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I know that's what sucks, RCA hasn't been RCA since the mid 80's. I had a 90's RCA 13" XL100, which had no resemblance to the XL100's of the past. It died, and I had to fix it (faulty transistor that starts the power relay).

This old Samsung though, I gotta say, it does hold it's own against modern TV's. Of course it's NTSC though, but it isn't that bad.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-29-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Not knowing about this at the time I bought an RCA and a GE in '93:

A 31" and was ~$800 on sale at the time. The vertical geometry sucked, a tech came out and said it wasn't adjustable (fixed yoke) so they shipped me a Home Theater version replacement (they were out of the basic RCAs so a free upgrade); geometry wasn't perfect but improved, I don't think they could ever get 'em right. I was told back then that all the big tubes were Mitsubishi. Anyhow a few years later it blew a large ceramic cap in the HV to the pic tube. When I ordered the schematic stuff there was a batch of all these tech service bulletins, predominant issue was soldering issues and especially the microcomputer shield causing all kinds of weird problems. Excluding the cap I might have gotten a decade out of it before it died but that cap would count for the average joe. I cannibalized it for the chassis and such and its carcass (+tube) is waiting in que out in the garage for a trip to a recycle place.

A 27" GE (Thomson/RCA). It developed tuner issues right after warranty but the coax got yanked, although the problem didn't start when the coax got yanked; similar chassis as above but scaled down and there was a bulletin for tuner section soldering. I resoldered the connector and every component in the tuner section and it came back to life but tunes a little noisy, probably a cracked chip cap. Still have it and use it though as a picture&picture to my main TV, s-video or composite connections to a converter box bypassed the tuner issue. Color, geometry, overscan, and such got off over the years so I used it as tuning-learning TV; it's not too bad now but couldn't get the 'red' red (a little orange). The degauss circuit went bad, probably from turning it on/off too much when it had the tuner problem (that and slapping it would make it snap out of it - lol I was frustrated at the time). So if I move it to another position I have to jumper the 31" chassis degauss circuit to it and give it a turn-on pulse; I routed the 27" degauss cable connector through the back plastic for easy access. eek.gifbiggrin.gif

post #9 of 12 Old 11-03-2012, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This reminded me of a pic I took from my Sony 32HS510 back in 2006, Great TV but shame it only lasted 3 1/2 years before failing.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-04-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post

This reminded me of a pic I took from my Sony 32HS510 back in 2006, Great TV but shame it only lasted 3 1/2 years before failing.

It's a redhead thing! smile.gif

post #11 of 12 Old 11-04-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

It's a redhead thing! smile.gif

Maybe!

From what I found online the HS510 series had a common failure with the D-Board going bad, Apparently the replacement part was a revised board to prevent failure again but the TV would have to be re-calibrated after installing, I couldn't find anyone in town that would fix it without charging an arm & a leg for parts / labor & calibration.

But at least I have one good CRT left that still works, Sony 34XBR960N.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-05-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post

Maybe!
From what I found online the HS510 series had a common failure with the D-Board going bad, Apparently the replacement part was a revised board to prevent failure again but the TV would have to be re-calibrated after installing, I couldn't find anyone in town that would fix it without charging an arm & a leg for parts / labor & calibration.
But at least I have one good CRT left that still works, Sony 34XBR960N.

Yeah they're not worth the repair costs and hassle, I see 'em on Craigslist dirt cheap. The issue becomes where to recycle the dead ones. Best Buy will take up to 32" free although these are different shape then what I think they intended for their requirements (i.e. some 32" 4:3 sets may weigh as much as these sets).

Nice, an N, I would like to find one of those vs. a 960 sans N but keeping a lookout for either one. Have come across a few 960 deals but always bad timing for me and those go quick. A poster on the 960 board said the N's are rare.

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page