Does anybody know how to use the service mode on Sony PVM monitors? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-26-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I have a Sony PVM-20M2U monitor. I can enter the service mode by pressing menu, and then pressing the enter and degause buttons simultaneously.

What I'm trying to do, is to shift the screen to the left about 3/4ths of an inch. I'm using the B input, for Component / RGB. The signal that I'm feeding it is a 15.75 Khz analog RGB signal.

When I go into the service menu, there are all these differnent options, and I tried playing around with the various options, but it didn't seem to change anything at all. I'm just trying to shift the picture over to the left a bit. What I'm going to do, is go back in the service menu and write everything down. All the various options, and what the settings are currenlty set to. Hopefully I can eventually figure something out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-26-2012, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me know if you have any success. I have a PVM that has too much underscan.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-26-2012, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I was able to fix it, but when I turn off the monitor, the settings are erased. I need to find out if there is a way to lock in the settings. For me, I had to hold down the menu button, and then press enter and degause at the same time to enter the service menu. The first thing I saw on the screen looked like this:

NOR 50 DEF > 136 1
H FREQUENCY

I had to scroll quite a ways into the menu to get to where I wanted to be. In my situation, I needed to shift the screen to the left, and to also expand the horizontal a bit. I had to adjust the vertical shift, and also expand vertical slightly as well.

I scrolled till I saw...

NOR 60 DEF 174 5
VIDEO PHASE

(controls the left/right positon of the horizontal shift)

Then I scrolled to:

NOR DEF 122 8
H SIZE

(controls how wide you get horizontally)

I also changed a couple of the vertical settings. Now, the key question is... can you save these settings, so they remain in place even after the monitor is turned off ?
post #4 of 5 Old 12-23-2012, 10:29 PM

Sorry for posting this so late after the original topic, but in case you are still looking...

To write the changes that you've made via the service menu (RAM) to ROM, so they are persisted, Press [Degauss]. The display will show 'WRITE'; ensure that it does. Press [Degauss] again, and the settings will be written. Note that this will write ALL changes, not just the currently selected service menu item. DO NOT power off the monitor when writing is in progress,

If you would like to read what was saved (after making changes, but before saving..) press [Blue Only]; this will cause the settings in ROM to be read to RAM (undoing any adjustments you have made). You can also tell if the current setting matches what is in ROM by the ">" indicator by a specific value.

Hope this helps.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-26-2012, 04:42 AM

Garrett, how do you know this? Do you have a service manual? If so, could you send me a copy (if it's a digital copy that is).
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page