Does RCA F38310 have an internal scaler? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-29-2002, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the RCA F38310 have an internal scaler for the extra component video input?
I have a Sony interlaced DVD player with component out connections and I’d like to connect it to the TV. Will the TV get me 480P if I do this or will I need to buy a new progressive scan DVD player?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-29-2002, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Not 100%, but pretty sure that the F38310 will upconvert NTSC to 540P.
Using the component inputs and 'interlaced', the F38310 will allow you to 'scale' to "normal", "fill" or "full" modes.

When using the component inputs and a progressive DVD player, the F38310 will not scale.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-29-2002, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Ratman,

Thanks for the reply.
I take it the F38310 would not scale because the progressive scan DVD would do it for you?
Otherwise the F38310 will scale through the component connector from a non scaled interlaced DVD player.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-29-2002, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Well.... nah! Scaling is when you can adjust the 'dimensions' for the picture (IE zoom out, zoom in).

With an Interlaced DVD player, you can make the F38310 use one of the three aforementioned modes. AND... if your DVD has the 'zoom' (scaling) feature, you may be able to make the image smaller/larger to fit/fill your screen.

With a Progressive DVD player, alll of the above is the same with the exception that the F38310 will not perform scaling. The DVD player must perform that function.

Scaling features with a DVD player is a must IMO.

BTW... in regard to upconversion. A prog. DVD player will produce 480P natively via component inputs. Interlaced is 480I and the F38310 will upconvert to 540P. Which is better is another discussion and can be argued both ways. It's really a matter of the quality of the DVD player, TV, and opinion.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-29-2002, 04:18 PM
hob

My F-38310 is 4 days away from 1 trouble free year old. I have on the set on from 9AM to 1AM 7 days a week. I have learned that no matter what your viewing in any of the 3 formats, it also depends on how high grade of cables your using.

I am not here to pitch them but I have all of our sponsers www.bettercables.com connecting 2 il changers, a RCA RC6000P progressive scan and a vcr with composite from the same company. I *can* see the difference over cheapo cables

I have the 3 DVD players going ito the same Y-Pr-Pb component via component switcher from InlineInc IN3505 4 to 1, the Vcr is being doubled to 2 x 240 or 480i.

I know if I was still using the inferior cables, that I had been given by the dealer, I wouldn't be as happy as I am now. It's your choice and your wallet. I bought Silver Serpents for the long run of years they will keep me happy, not the asking price.:)

P.S. I use the *full* format at all times, I never the screen burning 4:3 or 1.33:1..
You all have manuals that state the grey sides, are *not* always active Caveat emptor!
post #6 of 7 Old 07-20-2002, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

WTF does this have to do with the subject of this posting. sorry hob, but it DOES look exactly like your only motivation of writing a reply was to promote the Television and bettercables.com.
In fact, I have seen many of your posting regarding this television, and in MANY cases (not all) you come off as promoting not only the TV set but the cables as well, which rarely had anything to do with the posted topic.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-21-2002, 08:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by avatar72
WTF does this have to do with the subject of this posting. sorry hob, but it DOES look exactly like your only motivation of writing a reply was to promote the Television and bettercables.com.
In fact, I have seen many of your posting regarding this television, and in MANY cases (not all) you come off as promoting not only the TV set but the cables as well, which rarely had anything to do with the posted topic.

:mad:

Hey buddy, you need to back down. Being a newbie, you should tread lightly here. Promoting one of our sponsors here is a good thing. Otherwise this forum may not exist. If anyone needs to tell Hob what to do it is the moderators. Keep up the good posts Hob ;)

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page