Sony Trinitron Wega KD-36fs130 need help, please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-21-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
While helping my Mom flip a house recently, I was paid and told I could keep anything left from the previous tenants... I needed a tv to replace the one recently broke in my kids play room... I was going to use the Sony Trinitron Wega KD-36fs13 that was found left in the house for my kids play room, their tv recently broke...

I checked to make sure it worked, it did... We loaded it into my sisters truck and I asked her to hold onto it because I wasnt going to my house that night... 2 days later when I went to retrieve it, it was still sitting in the driveway where I left it... Her similar sized tv and fridge and all the stuff she took were put away safe in the house... My one thing I took was left out in the florida humidity, the dew was quite heavy both those mornings, too!!!!

I got the set home, power and all the connections are fine... The only problem is the screen is off color in all four corners... Its that coloring you get from a magnet... There is a chance the screen was like that and I didnt notice it when I checked to see if it worked, but I really think I would have noticed the colors on the no signal screen...

- If it was already there, can this be fixed? How? Links please...

- Would the moisture have somehow caused the internal magnets to no longer be shielded??

- Would the moisture itself cause this discoloring, going away after it dries??

- I will rarely use the internal speakers over my surround sound anyway, is it easy to go in and just remove the speakers??

Any help would be appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-21-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
CRTs tend to get that when moved, especially if you now have it oriented in a different compass setting than it was previously (earth magnetic field orientation). I'm not familiar with that particular model but they typically 'degauss' themselves after several power-on cycles (the boing you hear when you turn one on). Now don't turn it on and off a bunch trying to clear it up as it can overheat the degauss circuit, let it cool between cycles like 10 minutes. Some sets also have a manual degauss in the menu if you don't hear the boing when you turn it on (but chances are if it doesn't work on power-up then it won't work in the menu either).
As an experiment, see if the discoloring changes when you rotate the TV 90 degrees from side to side.

Many TVs have a internal speaker switch in the menu. Then there's always the TV's mute. Or just don't hook up the audio to the TV if you have a surround receiver.
surlyone likes this.

post #3 of 3 Old 05-20-2013, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thanked you for your response...

I put it in the room that needed and left it alone for a day. Once I fired it up, the discoloration was gone... Not sure the cause, but don't care, this behemoth of a TV has a very nice picture quality that I know will last forever... Don't need to worry about the kids breaking it like I would the sensitive flat screens...

Thanks for the possible fixes, even though I didn't need them, I will keep in mind for future reference... And sorry for the very late response, forgot I even posted this thread here until I was lurking/ researching threads today...
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page