How 2 SAFELY Smash 32" Sony CRT (NOT for grins, but for health!) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-23-2012, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Replaced my old 32" Trinitron in the basement w/a new plasma. Moving the CRT off the stand reminded me of how GODAWFUL HEAVY the thing is. My wife an I barely got it to the floor, so the thought of going up a flight of stairs, across the house...into the car, etc....has me thinking 'back surgery'. That's why the set is sitting on the floor.

So I was thinking that I could/should take it apart, strip off all the electronics (it's been unplugged for months, shouldn't be any residual charge anywhere) and the shell, and then break the tube so I can lug it up & out in a few 'batches'.

I'm not looking to implode it cuz it would be cool!! I'll gladly/preferably release the vacuum in a non-explosive way before breaking out the hammer on the glass; how could I do that? Otherwise, I'm thinking if I put the tube into 1 or 2 of those super-heavy, contractor-grade plastic bags, that would contain all the glass, vacuum or not.

What do you think?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-24-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Strap it to a dolly (the stand-up kind for carrying big stuff up stairs), you've already gotten it off the stand. Once outside certainly can get some help loading (no curbside pick-up?). Best Buy takes them free up to 32" for recycling and they'll help unload at the store.
Now the crude method without a dolly would be to slide it across the floor on an old piece of carpet or somesuch and for the stairs kind of rotate it up along the sides a few steps at a time (think reverse slinky).

post #3 of 3 Old 12-24-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Advertise it on Craigslist as free and note: "take it, it's yours".
Call a few donation places (Purple Heart, Disabled Vets, Goodwill, churches, missionaries, etc.) or recycling centers to see if they would cart it away.

I don't think it would be wise to "break up" a CRT in the home (or outdoors).
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page