Just for fun-what is the largest direct view CRT ever produced? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I finally got an HD signal via the new Hopper from Dish Network to my old Samsung 1080i 27". WOW! I got this TV free from a friend four years ago. His parents had bought it new in 2004 and didn't want to take it with them when they moved to Florida. I had it in the living room with an SD signal because we were pinching pennies and didn't want to spring for an HD package. I can't believe what a rich, sharp picture these old tube TVs produce! It got me thinking about what the upper limit in terms of size of a tube TV would be? My in-laws have a 40" Sony Trinitron SD set that is ENORMOUS and weighs about 350lbs. It's probably the nicest SD picture I've ever seen though. What was the largest (either production or concept) tube TV ever produced? Since tube HDTVs don't have the issues associated with motion, etc...it makes you wonder if there could ever be a niche market for them among videophiles who would be willing to sacrifice size for picture quality. How big would a 60" tube TV need to be in terms of depth and weight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 PM

Liked: 10
The search button is your friend.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/991666/what-was-the-largest-direct-view-crt-ever-made

TLK cool.gif
post #3 of 5 Old 01-03-2013, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The largest I have ever seen is the 40 inch Sony Trinitron model KV-40XBR800. There was also a KV-40XBR700 which I think is the same but lacking DVI input. These Trinitrons were flat and as such, EXTREMELY HEAVY, 300 pounds just for the television. The stand it came with was at least another 50 pounds. Although I have not seen one, I am aware of presentation monitors and a consumer television that Mitsubishi made which were 40 inch (not flat), and I have heard of a Toshiba television this size as well (probably not flat glass either). I'm sure they were heavy, but for being convex, they were likely not as heavy as the Sonys. At wikis and various other places discussing CRTs, I have heard tell of monitors or televisions made for industrial uses which were as large as 60 inches, but noone has managed to produce a simple photograph, so I cannot say how limited their use may have been. If you think about it, should an image that large be really necessary, it is probably time to move to projection just for practicality's sake, so I kind of wonder if a tube that size ever even really existed.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-03-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The largest widescreen 16:9 I've heard of were the 38" Loewe & RCA (same RCA picture tube).

In 16:9 it looks like one can achieve 33" with a 36" 4:3 set and 37" with a 40" set:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinitron/WEGA

Me, I don't think the difference there would be worth the extra weight vs. the 34" 16:9 sets at a touch under 200 lbs. Now if you watch a lot of 4:3 stuff those would be nice.

post #5 of 5 Old 01-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Wow! I just replaced a 10+ year old Sony 34XBR800 with a 46" Samsung 3D set plus sound bar. At 214 lbs I thought that set was heavy! Getting it removed and disposed of was the hardest part of the reconfiguation process. The 34XBR800 was a reasonable investment, but it failed for the second time (same IC) two weeks ago. I was able to fix it again, but that encouraged me to finally upgrade.

Phil
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page