Just for fun-what is the largest direct view CRT ever produced? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Titan91
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Badfish740's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I finally got an HD signal via the new Hopper from Dish Network to my old Samsung 1080i 27". WOW! I got this TV free from a friend four years ago. His parents had bought it new in 2004 and didn't want to take it with them when they moved to Florida. I had it in the living room with an SD signal because we were pinching pennies and didn't want to spring for an HD package. I can't believe what a rich, sharp picture these old tube TVs produce! It got me thinking about what the upper limit in terms of size of a tube TV would be? My in-laws have a 40" Sony Trinitron SD set that is ENORMOUS and weighs about 350lbs. It's probably the nicest SD picture I've ever seen though. What was the largest (either production or concept) tube TV ever produced? Since tube HDTVs don't have the issues associated with motion, etc...it makes you wonder if there could ever be a niche market for them among videophiles who would be willing to sacrifice size for picture quality. How big would a 60" tube TV need to be in terms of depth and weight?
Badfish740 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Senior Member
 
The Lizard King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Lizard King is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 01-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Senior Member
 
LiquidSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The largest I have ever seen is the 40 inch Sony Trinitron model KV-40XBR800. There was also a KV-40XBR700 which I think is the same but lacking DVI input. These Trinitrons were flat and as such, EXTREMELY HEAVY, 300 pounds just for the television. The stand it came with was at least another 50 pounds. Although I have not seen one, I am aware of presentation monitors and a consumer television that Mitsubishi made which were 40 inch (not flat), and I have heard of a Toshiba television this size as well (probably not flat glass either). I'm sure they were heavy, but for being convex, they were likely not as heavy as the Sonys. At wikis and various other places discussing CRTs, I have heard tell of monitors or televisions made for industrial uses which were as large as 60 inches, but noone has managed to produce a simple photograph, so I cannot say how limited their use may have been. If you think about it, should an image that large be really necessary, it is probably time to move to projection just for practicality's sake, so I kind of wonder if a tube that size ever even really existed.
LiquidSnake is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 01-03-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Floydage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 59
The largest widescreen 16:9 I've heard of were the 38" Loewe & RCA (same RCA picture tube).

In 16:9 it looks like one can achieve 33" with a 36" 4:3 set and 37" with a 40" set:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinitron/WEGA

Me, I don't think the difference there would be worth the extra weight vs. the 34" 16:9 sets at a touch under 200 lbs. Now if you watch a lot of 4:3 stuff those would be nice.

Floydage is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 01-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Phil Wheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow! I just replaced a 10+ year old Sony 34XBR800 with a 46" Samsung 3D set plus sound bar. At 214 lbs I thought that set was heavy! Getting it removed and disposed of was the hardest part of the reconfiguation process. The 34XBR800 was a reasonable investment, but it failed for the second time (same IC) two weeks ago. I was able to fix it again, but that encouraged me to finally upgrade.

Phil
Phil Wheeler is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 07-24-2015, 10:14 AM
Newbie
 
Auburn Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Auburn California
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Wheeler View Post
Wow! I just replaced a 10+ year old Sony 34XBR800 with a 46" Samsung 3D set plus sound bar. At 214 lbs I thought that set was heavy! Getting it removed and disposed of was the hardest part of the reconfiguation process. The 34XBR800 was a reasonable investment, but it failed for the second time (same IC) two weeks ago. I was able to fix it again, but that encouraged me to finally upgrade.<br><br>
Phil
Hi,

I am on my second fix of the KV-34XBR800 for the Power/Horizontal ICs now.

The set is still beautiful as ever. It has some problems though..,

I get the vertical white bar scanning right to left in DVI input mode that I going to try and fix tonight. (The set is the right vintage to potentially NOT need a new "B" board.)

I also have this power-on warmup problem, seen in this post:

Raster Bowing on XBR800

If anyone has any thoughts on what could cause this problem, I may make an attempt to repair it!
Auburn Boy is online now  
post #7 of 11 Old 07-27-2015, 03:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dude111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 696
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740
I finally got an HD signal via the new Hopper from Dish Network to my old Samsung 1080i 27". WOW! I got this TV free from a friend four years ago. His parents had bought it new in 2004 and didn't want to take it with them when they moved to Florida. I had it in the living room with an SD signal because we were pinching pennies and didn't want to spring for an HD package. I can't believe what a rich, sharp picture these old tube TVs produce!
 
Yes they are beautiful and Im glad you are able to enjoy one

CRTs are the BEST thing ever made for TV viewing!!
Dude111 is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 07-27-2015, 11:20 PM
Newbie
 
Auburn Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Auburn California
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Boy View Post
Hi,

I am on my second fix of the KV-34XBR800 for the Power/Horizontal ICs now.

The set is still beautiful as ever. It has some problems though..,

I get the vertical white bar scanning right to left in DVI input mode that I going to try and fix tonight. (The set is the right vintage to potentially NOT need a new "B" board.)

I also have this power-on warmup problem, seen in this post:

Raster Bowing on XBR800

If anyone has any thoughts on what could cause this problem, I may make an attempt to repair it!
Vertical white bar fixed.

September 2002 set.

Setting HDPT to "0" fixed the problem!

Thanks to all the pointers.
Auburn Boy is online now  
post #9 of 11 Old 07-28-2015, 07:06 AM
Newbie
 
Titan91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
At my old job I moved out what looked to be a 36" or a 40" CRT from an executive's office. Here's a tip, never put 300lbs on a plastic cart with rubber tires.
Floydage likes this.
Titan91 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 07-28-2015, 12:02 PM
Senior Member
 
LiquidSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Okay, that'll teach me to post help replies to threads without reading every active thread first. Glad you got your problem sorted out, Auburn Boy.
LiquidSnake is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old Today, 09:42 PM
Newbie
 
Auburn Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Auburn California
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Okay, that'll teach me to post help replies to threads without reading every active thread first. Glad you got your problem sorted out, Auburn Boy.
...and now I'm working on the "other problems."

Some sore of synchronized color saturation defect when powering on. It may be filter caps on the video gun signal amplifiers, or perhaps the 200 V poser supply regulation..,

Auburn Boy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off