Good 36" or larger 4:3 sized CRT TV for use with Computer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-05-2013, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm hoping someone can give me some model numbers to look for on Craigslist for high quality, used 4:3 TV's capable of displaying 1024x768 natively (or higher). It will only be used for computer work (some graphics) and watching youtube videos. I'd like 36" or larger, which is why I'm not looking at computer monitors. I don't think they are made that large.

I'm pretty good with CRT projectors but don't know anything about direct view TV's..

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-05-2013, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
RCA used to make a big 32-36 inch tv that had optional VGA inputs. One was 1024x768 and the second one could do 800x600. It was some kind of pro monitor. I had one for years and used it with a HD Box Pro to run movies and game on it in wide screen. Pretty cool but the curve of the glass at that size was kind of noticeable. I'll try and find the model number of it if I can get the chance.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-05-2013, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewman21 View Post

RCA used to make a big 32-36 inch tv that had optional VGA inputs. One was 1024x768 and the second one could do 800x600. It was some kind of pro monitor. I had one for years and used it with a HD Box Pro to run movies and game on it in wide screen. Pretty cool but the curve of the glass at that size was kind of noticeable. I'll try and find the model number of it if I can get the chance.

I don't know about a 1024x768 version, but the RCA MM36100 was my first ever HDTV. That's the one that does 800x600. I bought mine at Fry's Electronics the first month they were released. I remember using it with my tricked out 600mhz Pentium III HTPC at the time.. Hahah

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-MM36100-36-HDTV-Ready-TV/dp/B00005AXGA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It was pretty decent but had some geometry issues or something. Don't remember exactly what it was.
Is there nothing newer?

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
post #4 of 6 Old 01-06-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I think the Loewe Aconda HDTV has VGA. 38" widescreen (16:9) with curvy glass though. There was also an RCA that used the same picture tube (RCA tube). That being said there may have been 4:3 models of those brands in that same model genre/era with VGA.

post #5 of 6 Old 01-06-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had that RCA MM36100 as my first HDTV and its still in service over a decade later - but as mentioned it was only 800x600

I also had a much sharper more capable (around 1400 vertical resolution - don't recollect the horizontal but better than the 600 of the RCA) Sony 36KD955xs

It died with the 6 blink failure of many of the Super fine pitch Sony CRTs several years ago.

At a loss why to go with one of these heavy analog beasts today as opposed to a cheap flat panel - except the picture actually was superb.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-07-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Fry's has a Dell 30" Ultrasharp Monitor 2560x1600 on sale this week for 'only' $1048. I've never seen monitors that big in the ads. Looks like it's widescreen so that would only be about 24" relative to 4:3 (I based this estimate on TVs but I don't know if monitors have a different shape). The ad lists DP, DVI-D, USB, IPS, Component, 7-in-1 Card Reader, and HDMI; also shows PC/MAC Compatible (why, it's a Dell monitor in the computer section of the ad? or do not all computer monitors work with both PCs and Macs?).

Anyhoo the stock number is 6986397. Ad doesn't list the model number.

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page