KD34XBR960- Is there a manual DEGAUSS option? How? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying de-discolor my KD34XBR960. Does anyone know if there is a manual degauss option, I don't find one in the conventional menus, I can open the "service" menu, but don't really understand the way it works....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Try unplugging from wall power for a few minutes. It may take several tries.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I don't have one of these (yet) but my similar-genre Panasonic has it in the Video menu as Geomagnetic Correction (part of a Tilt adjustment so look for Tilt too). But like Ratman posted it automatically degausses every time on power-up (unless there's an overheat protection circuit that makes it wait to cool down). In any event don't forget to let it cool down between tries.

I have an old RCA 27" CRT that was severe like that after I moved it; it would clear up after I moved it back to the original compass orientation. It no longer boinged on power-up as the degauss circuit was fried (I think I fried it turning it on/off repeatedly to resolve a different problem (I was getting POed) and didn't know about the cool-down rqt). I had to rig up an external 'portable' degauss circuit to the tube coil (that big one you see wrapping around the outside edge of a picture tube) using a scrap chassis to clear it up after I move the TV - don't try this at home unless you're technically savvy.

Now in my case it cleared up pretty quick. Have you seen any improvement at all yet? I know you said it boinged so it 'sounds' like it's degaussing. If possible, see if the problem changes when you rotate the TV to different compass orientations.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 315
"Tilt" correction has nothing to do with color uniformity. I had that on my old F38310.

I still suggest a "hard" power cycle (unplug from the wall). I never mentioned about auto-degauss with every "soft" power cycle.
Also, make sure that all electronics (speakers, amps, receivers, video games) are moved away from the TV.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 65
OP,

why would you want to degauss your XBR manually? This feature is what sets any standard CRT from a Sony XBR- it is an inherent Sony design- as it protects the television's circuits/picture tube!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Indeed tilt correction has nothing to do with color uniformity although I didn't write that either. What I was getting at is that my Panny performs degauss as part of tilt adjustment within the Geomagnetic Correction menu (it degausses when exiting the menu).

JA, he's carrying over from my suggestion on the 960 thread. I was suggesting he look within the Sony menu and see if manual degaussing exists like in my Panny menu (I don't mean manually degaussing with a wand or somesuch external method). My basis is that there's a chance that the auto-degauss function isn't working on power-up. Who's OP? lol

Old 02-05-2013, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
This feature is what sets any standard CRT from a Sony XBR- it is an inherent Sony design- as it protects the television's circuits/picture tube!

All CRT's have degausse coils...it's not a sony design.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I think he is trying to say that the degauss on start feature is a Sony thing, but that isn't true either.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I even doubt that degaussing will fix that color issue. I had the older model before - 910-- with such issues and I just exchanged it under warranty many years ago and I ended up with the 960 eventually. It was circuit city doing the exchange. If I was to guess it will be more related to a failing video color chip TDA6120Q. I just replaced mine when I started experiencing a red screen with gray horizontal lines upon start up. The red screen will brighten up till it shuts off the tv and get the 7 blinking lights from the standby lite. I can restart it many times until the tv will stay on. However, I see the red like a ghost on images and hint of red on the entire screen. Seen on any input. I swap out the $7 chip and its beautiful again. Good luck.