TV is squealing !! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-04-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 33
My daughter has an old Mitsubishi 27" TV which has started emitting a high pitched squeal. I unplugged ALL A/V cables, antenna cable, and power cords(other than TV's power cord). With only the TV's power cord plugged in, it still emits the squeal, no matter which input I choose. Is the TV shot? Is there anything I can check to diagnose it further? The image is fine, no problems. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-05-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 333
May be a "sick" flyback transformer.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-05-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 44
And to rule out audio, does it come out the speakers? If so try turning off the internal speakers via the menu if it has that capability. [if this works an external speaker solution could be used]

post #4 of 16 Old 02-05-2013, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

And to rule out audio, does it come out the speakers? If so try turning off the internal speakers via the menu if it has that capability. [if this works an external speaker solution could be used]

I think it's coming out of the speakers, but I'll have to verify that.

I'll also check if the speakers can be shut off.

Thanks guys. I will report back.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-05-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, it is coming out of the speakers. I turned speakers off in the menu, and the squealing stops.

So how do I use an external speaker? What do I hook it up to?

The model # is CS-27TX1, made in DEC. 1992

Thank again.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-06-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

You'll need amplified speakers. This can be as simple as a pair of powered computer speakers (not the newer USB-only type) or more complicated like a receiver/amplifier driving a pair of regular speakers. There's also those sound bars or surround systems.
Maybe she has an FM/audio receiver hooked to a pair of speakers then all it would need is one set of auxiliary inputs.

Now for the TV if it has a pair of audio out connections you can try hooking a set of audio cables from there to an external audio amplifier input listed above. Now the TV audio output may still have the squeal although I suspect the problem is in the TV's audio amplifier so it shouldn't be passed through. If the squeal is still there you'll have to hook the audio(s) out of the devices (DTV converter box, VCR, DVD player, etc.) directly to the external audio amplifier; of course if there's more than one device a receiver makes more sense assuming it has multiple audio inputs.

Turn the volumes on both the TV and amplifier down low before testing as the squeal could blow out amplified speakers.

post #7 of 16 Old 02-06-2013, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Floydage, but I'm even more confused. I have to study what you said. No, the TV is not hooked up to a stereo system. The only thing hooked up is a stereo VCR. However, the TV does have: 1) Fixed Audio Out and 2) Variable Audio Out. Does this make the fix easier? What's the cheapest way to still use TV? Thanks.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-06-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Either one will do if one or both works without the squeal coming thru. #1 will require adjusting the volume with the external amp while #2 will allow her to adjust the volume with the TV remote. You'll have to try mute with both hook-ups.
If she has a stereo system (with an extra audio input) near the TV that would be the cheapest solution. Otherwise have to use amplified speakers like I mentioned. Even a boombox will work if it has an extra audio input.

post #9 of 16 Old 02-06-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So just buy cheap amplified computer speakers, and plug them into the "variable audio output" jacks? Would this allow her to use the volume buttons on front of TV also? Or just with TV remote? She does not have a stereo or boombox.

And after trying both audio outputs, the squealing may still happen?

Are 3.5 mm plugs what the speakers need for the TV's audio outputs? Best Buy has Cyber Acoustics powered speakers(CA-2014) for $9.99, free shipping. It says they have 3.5 mm plugs.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-06-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 140
To tell you the truth, just watch your local craigs list for a week or 2 and pick her up a used 27" sony for free. Weekends in my area there are at least 1 sony and a half dozen other brands of CRT TV up for free.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Since you're having to spend money on it and it's a 1992 TV I agree with airscapes. I thought she might have a stereo, etc.
There's some nice CRT TVs on CL for free or very cheap with all the folks having just bought new flat panels during the holidays and for the Super Bowl. A 27" is a manageable size for a guy (HD and/or flat ones may be heavier though, I think thicker glass). And the last CRTs were flat screen with some being HD (although with built-in DTV tuner harder to find but I suspect she has a converter box and you said she uses a VCR). If paying I'd focus on a Sony and beyond that stick with the name brands like Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Toshiba, Samsung, etc. I got an RCA 27" flat HD with built-in DTV tuner (got lucky) AND a Sony 20" flat almost-HD (component inputs and 16:9 higher resolution feature) for free from the same folks; big dude even carried them to my van before I could get out the furniture dolly, dinner was cooking so I guess he was hungry... biggrin.gif That RCA is about 100 lbs. while my old 1993 GE 27" is about 70 lbs.

Speaking of Best Buy they take up to 32" for recycling free at the store. Check the website or your store for any special conditions in your state though.

post #12 of 16 Old 02-07-2013, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

airscapes and Floydage, I started checking Craigslist yesterday but none yet.

In the meantime, can you possibly answer my questions in post #9? Thanks.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-07-2013, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 140
You would have to look at the back of the TV and see what it has for Audio out. Most likely RCA phone plugs so an adapter would be needed for the mini pug. Unless the TV has a set of jacks marked audio variable then no, the remote will most likely not work.
post #14 of 16 Old 02-07-2013, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The TV has normal RCA jacks. Yes, it does have audio variable output.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-08-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

So just buy cheap amplified computer speakers, and plug them into the "variable audio output" jacks? Would this allow her to use the volume buttons on front of TV also? Or just with TV remote? She does not have a stereo or boombox.

And after trying both audio outputs, the squealing may still happen?

Are 3.5 mm plugs what the speakers need for the TV's audio outputs? Best Buy has Cyber Acoustics powered speakers(CA-2014) for $9.99, free shipping. It says they have 3.5 mm plugs.

Yes, variable should mean TV volume buttons will control the sound, both on the TV and remote.

Yes, the squealing may still happen. I would guess it's in the audio amp for the TV speakers so wouldn't squeal on these outputs BUT it could be coupled in through some other path.

You'll need a Y cable they show as an option in the manual for those speakers:

http://www.cyberacoustics.com/images/uploads/CA-2014m.PDF

That's a good price for those speakers based on what I saw looking for the manual. They kinda show you the hook-up for ya too but if you have the TV manual it's probably better shown there (you can probably download it too with a model number search although that's an old TV).

post #16 of 16 Old 02-08-2013, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I picked up a free 26" RCA today and it works good, no problems.

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page