Panasonic CT-32hl43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-19-2013, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi I just bought a Panasonic ct-32hl43 from a thrift shop. I could not resist it when it was only $40 and the thing is like brand new with remote and manual. A Panasonic flat screen CRT HDTV in 4:3 for $40. I am in. Anyway, so the thing has a DVI port for digital connection. I bought an hdmi-dvi adapter and I have been trying to get both my desktop and my laptop PC's to work to no avail. both of which have hdmi output and so far black screen. I'm pretty sure I have the video source properly selected but I'm not sure. I try all the source selections but I think the source for the dvi is the one that says STB DTV. My computer video card is an ATI 3600 series and Catalyst sees the TV but all I get is a black screen. I suppose I am not sending the TV the signal it wants. Also I am curious what devices will work with the DVI port. Will things like a blu-ray player, Roku, x-box360 and PS3 work with this port to display in HD. Another thing I would like to do is to get the free over the air HD channels but I think the built-in tuner is not ATSC. Any answers or thought would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-19-2013, 08:30 PM

Hello, first of all, what state do you live in?
I have a 36hl43, and i`m curious as to how come I NEVER find this model for sale lower than $250?
I`m amazed that you found it so cheap!
The DVI output will NOT work with your application.
Because of the HDMI Handshake problem.
The best advice I can give you to enjoy this tv is plain and simple!
You MUST Dis-connect the DVI cable when recording anything! IF you`re just watching tv, that`s 1 thing.
But this TV will NOT pass ANY HD High Def. content through the outputs!
So, disconnect the DVI cable when recoirding.
Go OUT of the cable box, to your Video Filter encoder box, OUT of that to your recorders, OUT of your recorder,
to your TV. And use the S-Video inputs.
However, you can NOT go OUT of this tv from the DVI.
That is an INPUT! Again, IF recording ANY shows TO VHS Videotape, OR a DVD Recorder, you MUST dis-connect the DVI
Cable to the tv, OR FROM the cable box.
This is what I HAVE to do, to record ANY shows onto my DVD Recorder.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-19-2013, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks but I am trying to simply display my PC. And other devices in HD through the DVI port
on the TV. What you say is interesting though and seems to be the way to record content from cable, albeit not in HD. Also I am wondering what devices would work through the DVI port like a blu ray player, xbox or Roku.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-20-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 273
According to specs, the DVI input of the TV is HDCP capable, so it (the handshaking) should work. I'd guess that the desktop/laptop output resolutions are sending a resolution that's not suppported by the TV. All other devices should work with no problem (bluray, xbox, etc.).

Also, page 20 of the manual states:
Quote:
Make sure that a PC is not connected to DVI (DIGITAL-IN) input.
Note: This HDTV Monitor is not intended to be used with a PC.]/quote]

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/CT32HL43G.PDF
post #5 of 8 Old 02-20-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Probably can't display the high-res progressive scan, looks to need to be 1080i or below and may not support 720p either (hopefully 480p like my Panny).

More than $250? Nice models but typical Craigslist 'clearing out for a new flat panel' genre, free to maybe $100 (free to get someone to haul it for them). Maybe if it had the ATSC tuner one could get a little more.

post #6 of 8 Old 02-21-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I agree that $250 would be way out of line with what these CRT TV's are going for, even though I think CRT's are still superior in a lot of ways over LCD's. It's nice to know most common HD devices will still work through the DVI. So the problem with connecting to a PC is probably that computers output progressive scan and this set is incapable of displaying progressive scan above 480p. So, I need to find a video card that will output 1080i if I am to do a digital connection from a PC. Thanks.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-21-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
You're welcome. I wonder if you're lucky to have one of the CRT models that can display 720p?

post #8 of 8 Old 02-22-2013, 04:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computarman View Post

So, I need to find a video card that will output 1080i if I am to do a digital connection from a PC. Thanks.

I'd be surprised if the video adapter's output can't be adjusted/changed to a video resolution and refresh rate that the TV may accept.
(IE 1920 x 1080 60Hz or 1280 x 1024 60Hz)
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page