Horizontal Lines in Two TVs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-22-2013, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have two CRT TVs that just recently started producing perfectly straight horizontal lines across them. I thought maybe it was a cable related issue, so I posted in a cable forum but got no usable help.

The lines are very thin, horizontal, spaced fairly close together and run from the top to the bottom of the screen. It's hard to say what color they are so I'd have to go with translucent. They're hardly visible on dark colored screens/pictures, but clearly there on white screens. These lines don't appear to be moving, but they could be. It's hard to tell.

One TV is a 4-5 y/o, 27" CRT SD DTV. The other is around 13 y/o, 20" analog CRT SD TV. They are both hooked up via coaxial cable to a SD cable box. The lines are a lot more noticeable on the 27" TV, but that TV is getting a weaker cable signal (confirmed by checking the statistics in the cable boxes). Sometimes, I don't even see the lines on the 20" TV.

Up until these lines appeared, the 27" TV had vertical waves in it for about three weeks. I noticed the horizontal lines on both TVs around the same time/day. I've also noticed that on two channels, the dialogue is out of sync with the video. So I'm not sure if the problem is cable related or not.

For all I know, maybe these lines are perfectly normal and I've just become hyper aware of them, so that's all I see.

Any thoughts?

I'm going to try to find a picture of this problem online, because there is no way my camera is going to be able to capture these lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-22-2013, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
These lines, do they move or are they stable in place?
post #3 of 7 Old 02-22-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They appear to be stable, but I won't swear to it.

I've been doing research like crazy and I think these lines I'm seeing may be scanlines. I've noticed the lines before in the 27" TV, but I have never ever seen them before in the 20" TV.

Why in the heck are they so darn visible on the 27" TV? I didn't notice them a few days ago, but I have noticed them before.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I was thinking maybe something weird was going on that degauss button would fix, but if it's doing it in two then my very limited guesswork, er, I mean knowledge, is exhausted... lol
post #5 of 7 Old 02-22-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Can you plug some other source into the TV using video in or at the very least the RF connector where the Coax is attached. If you still get the lines with a VCR or DVD player then it is the cable box or cables. Until you eliminate the Cable box you don't know where the problem lies.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-22-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
That's just plain fishy. Unless a major case of Murphy's Law the fact that they both started doing it at the same time initially points to the cable company. Follow airscapes suggestion.

I had a simple 19" CRT TV that would freak out big time when I turned my other TV on at the same time; they were both hooked to the same antenna and I think the same electrical circuit (opposite sides of wall). The 19" would get horizontal wavy lines scrolling vertically and loud humming in unison with the scrolling. To the best of my knowledge it was due to a noisy ground wire attached to my house from a cable service box out by the fence, I suspect a bad cable amp (and I didn't have any cable service, pre-existing cabling). It quit then when I disconnected it but sometime later I reattached it just for fun and it no longer did it. Of course Murphy may have been involved... tongue.gif

post #7 of 7 Old 02-22-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I also think I read something about audio sync issues.. Mom called me one time to tell me she needed a new TV cause after a while the Sony CRT I had given her would get out of sync.. I asked her to pull the power on the little cable box (cheapo entry level service from comcast) and after it powered back up problem was gone. So what I am trying to say is, if you have not power cycled the cable box, do so and see if your problems go away. Not just turn it off, unplug the power.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page