Sony XBR960 front bezel removal - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-09-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anybody know if it is easy to remove the front black bezel of a sony XBR960 with out having to dismantle to much of the TV?

Like after I remove the screws and the back does it just pop off?

I want to change the nice looking one from a broken TV on to a working xbr960
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2015, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
bump
Old 12-06-2015, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 865
That should help after no responses in over two years.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
That should help after no responses in over two years.
Yeah, I guess this place isn't where I should ask for help.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I still have not removed it.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubical View Post
I still have not removed it.
Disappointing. I want to remove the bezel, but I'm afraid of unscrewing the wrong bolts and may damage the TV. I can't get the front black bezel off so I can remove the anti-glare sheet of film. Or is it sprayed on?
Old 03-29-2016, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneraLight View Post
Disappointing. I want to remove the bezel, but I'm afraid of unscrewing the wrong bolts and may damage the TV. I can't get the front black bezel off so I can remove the anti-glare sheet of film. Or is it sprayed on?
Pretty sure its not sprayed on. I've read there's different versions but that's more likely that someone was just mistaken. There are plenty of photos showing the filter is a sheet glued to the front glass and no photos showing its sprayed on. Most likely that someone was able to rub off some of the coating off the sheet without realizing there was a sheet there.

Anyway, the bezel is held on from the inside with small screws. You'll have to remove the back cover first. This is pretty easy, you won't need to lift the TV or anything, just undo the screws pointed to by arrows on the outer case. It will slide off rearward.

Then when you look inside there are small screws, all the same size, holding the front black bezel on. You'll know if you take out a wrong screw if its not the same size as the others. The black front bezel isn't load bearing and is not held on by any fasteners that are also used to hold the CRT in place. On the sides, there are also 2 clips per side which you should undo with your finger or a tool, don't try to force the bezel without undoing these clips. The screws holding the sides of the bezel are exposed and easy to get to. There are 2 hidden along the top behind the subwoofer supports. The hardest and maybe impossible screws are along the bottom blocked off by the various circuit boards. Maybe with a really really long shaft screw driver you could get to them without taking apart a bunch of circuit boards, wires, etc. But not only will they be hard to take out but even harder to put back and if you drop one inside it will be quite a challenge to get back out since you can just lift a 200lb TV and shake it out. If you skip the bottom screws you can kind of bend the bezel back a bit to get at the AR film or to just clean behind the bezel a bit. I'm not sure if you can remove the entire AR sheet with just the sides and top of the bezel loose. You can try though and tell us about it!

Last edited by Shaocaholica; 03-29-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I can't find much info on the 960 series, but if it's anything like the 800 series you'll have to completely remove the tube from the support frame. There's the deguase coil, etc. that you will have to pull away and so on. Although don't let this discourage you. Fixing one of these sets is probably the most rewarding experiences you'll have in your life. Take it slowly and note your steps and you'll be fine. I made a mess of my 800 series D board repair and haven't looked back.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:45 PM

It's okay. I've already removed the damaged anti-glare film months ago. Scrubbed the glue residue off with ammonia-free Windex and a microfiber cloth and the glass screen basically looks brand new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement