Panasonic CT-34WX53 DVI Input - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I procured this TV set (CT-34WX53) from a friend recently and want to hook a PC up to it. I'm certain I have the correct cable for the application but I cannot get the TV set to see the PC signal from my dell tower. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-28-2013, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What kind of PC are you using? What kind of video hardware does it have? Does the PC see the TV? Meaning, does your control panel at least acknowledge that it is connected?

Edit: I just looked at the manual for this TV here, the manual says "This DVI input terminal is compliant with EIA-861 standard and is not intended for use with personal computers." I don't know about you, but this kind of language never stopped me, so if you go ahead and plug it up you will notice the manual also states "Note: The DIGITAL IN [DVI] terminal can only be used with 1080i, 480p, or 480i picture signals." So this might greatly limit the resolutions that you can use. You may actually be able to select other resolutions, but they may not all work. Or some may work but not be properly centered, give the kind of aspect ration you want to use, etc. Finally, and something else that might be related to your issue, regarding the DVI, it states "When connecting a Digital Set-Top-Box to DIGITAL-IN, be sure not to select "SKIP" from the INPUT LABEL menu. Failing to do so may result in a distorted display or black out." So check the input label menu and see if it is set to skip the DVI.
Chad Lloyd likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-28-2013, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

I have a dell pc with a DVI / VGA video card. the Nvidia software seems to see the TV but the TV will not detect and every time I plug in the cable to the PC, the monitor will black out or lose signal. I made sure I have the correct DVI cable but the 2 just don't want to play together for some reason. I can get you model numbers when I get home this evening if that will help. Thanks!!
post #4 of 8 Old 03-29-2013, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

What kind of PC are you using? What kind of video hardware does it have? Does the PC see the TV? Meaning, does your control panel at least acknowledge that it is connected?

Edit: I just looked at the manual for this TV here, the manual says "This DVI input terminal is compliant with EIA-861 standard and is not intended for use with personal computers." I don't know about you, but this kind of language never stopped me, so if you go ahead and plug it up you will notice the manual also states "Note: The DIGITAL IN [DVI] terminal can only be used with 1080i, 480p, or 480i picture signals." So this might greatly limit the resolutions that you can use. You may actually be able to select other resolutions, but they may not all work. Or some may work but not be properly centered, give the kind of aspect ration you want to use, etc. Finally, and something else that might be related to your issue, regarding the DVI, it states "When connecting a Digital Set-Top-Box to DIGITAL-IN, be sure not to select "SKIP" from the INPUT LABEL menu. Failing to do so may result in a distorted display or black out." So check the input label menu and see if it is set to skip the DVI.

Thank you so much. I'm going to take this info and see what I can come up with. Will get back to you.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-29-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

It was the skip thing! Thank you soooo much for the help. Now I'm just trying to tweak the settings so they are usable. I'm like you and do not take no for an answer. I'm open to suggestions on the tweaking phase as the recommended resolution is major jitter.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-29-2013, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

I'm using an NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS video card and a Dell optiplex GX620 tower.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-01-2013, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What is the recommended resolution? Everything that you do to get something stable and that you are comfortable with is really going to vary with TV and equipment at this point. I've plugged up various devices to HDMI on my CRTs (which have that input) and had wild resolution choices pop up, but between using the nvidia panel and the screen's menu controls, tweaked it to my liking, no way that is going to translate to your TV though. Just start eyeballing and working to your preference.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-01-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

What is the recommended resolution? Everything that you do to get something stable and that you are comfortable with is really going to vary with TV and equipment at this point. I've plugged up various devices to HDMI on my CRTs (which have that input) and had wild resolution choices pop up, but between using the nvidia panel and the screen's menu controls, tweaked it to my liking, no way that is going to translate to your TV though. Just start eyeballing and working to your preference.

You are exactly correct and that is what I did and I'm very pleased with the picture I'm getting with this old TV and my $50 Dell PC. Thanks for sharing your expertise and experience to get me where I wanted to be. I'm thankful you took the time out of your schedule to assist. All the best.

-Chad
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page