Panasonic CT-34WX52 problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-05-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. This forum was invaluable to me a couple of years ago when researching my purchase of a CRT widescreen HDTV. I went with the Panny (actually got 2 of them, a CT34WX52 and a CT30WX54.)

I love these things - bright, sharp, great picture, although lots of service menu work to get good geometry and get rid of most of the overscan - didn't mind that though, it was interesting and rewarding.

The 30" is still perfect. Of course, that's the one I gave to my parents.

My 34" on the other hand has developed a problem. I have a vertical line of color that comes and goes running down the center of the picture - seems to be dependent on color content of the image on screen. It can be blue, red, green, depends. It looks like a perforated line of dots. Quite thin. They come and go. Not usually full height at any one time, but seen in patches. Very evident on animated shows. This just started a few days ago. I am not uncomfortable with opening up the unit to find and replace bad components and the like but don't have a lot of TV specific experience - more familiar designing, building, and servicing AC power electronics and audio amps and such.

I have searched and searched and can't find any Panny specific reports or descriptions of this problem.

Anyone have an Idea what this could be or if it it a resolvable issue? Or do I need to hit the classifieds and find a replacement (maybe a slightly newer CT-34WX54 or CT-34WX15, or a Sony? I see a KV-34HS420 in my area for $90 and a bunch of Toshiba 34's for $50 each.)

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-05-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Have you tried other inputs?
See what happens when you toggle PoutP/SPLIT (unusual vertical line in center of pic got me thinking...). Does it line up where the pics split?

Hey I see that you were successful getting in the service menu. I've looked and looked and tried until I'm blue in the face confused.gif on my CT-34WX50 to no avail. I've got this:

"-In user setup menu, set antenna to Cable
-Set timer to 30, then exit out of user menu
-On the remote, press 124
-On the remote, press Vol. to zero
-On the set, press volume to zero
-A red CHK with numbers next to it should show up at the top of screen"

but I never get the red CHK, only this box:

InterCAT 1999
Concurrent 97/98/99
i.Trace 94-96
Premium 94
eXtended 92-93/95
hyperOne 94

which doesn't let me do much of anything, more of an info screen (one sub-menu has MTBF numbers).

There was also a shorter method where I press volume to zero on the set then hit INFO/RECALL on the remote but I just get the same box.

If you can point me to a good resource or if it's not too much typing give me a few pointers I'd greatly appreciate it. smile.gif

post #3 of 8 Old 04-06-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Floydage,

input doesn't matter. I did look at the picture split , I thought of that too when I was looking through the menus.

I will look at my WX52 service menu procedure and see if it's any different from what you posted.

Any other ideas on this line in my screen anybody?
post #4 of 8 Old 04-07-2013, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm. Line is getting either more pronounced or just more annoying, and I don't seem to be finding any solutions.

I have a line on a Sony 34XBR960 in top condition for $100 - maybe I should ditch the panny and go for the Sony?
post #5 of 8 Old 04-07-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenSockets View Post

Hmm. Line is getting either more pronounced or just more annoying, and I don't seem to be finding any solutions.

I have a line on a Sony 34XBR960 in top condition for $100 - maybe I should ditch the panny and go for the Sony?

I tried a search on AVS the other day and nada too, even letting it search the entire site (i.e. other CRTs). Searches here can be weird, I 're'-searched my service menu thing last week and found more than I did a year ago (but still no solution for me) even though the results were from 2003 (they have since changed the website).

Don't say you have a "line" on that Sony wink.gif . I'm keeping my eyes peeled for one of those too, especially the 960N (no anti-glare film folks tend to end up having to peel off over time). I've seen them here for half that price but too far to drive (and lift help issues). Some other similar models free too because folks just want someone to remove the beasts but same drive issue for me. Of course in my case I'm in the large and sprawling D/FW metroplex and I drive a gas pig. Now they don't pop up every day since not that many were sold. So yeah if it's in great condition and you're not in an area of high turn-over that's worth considering, especially if the remote and stand are included (stand is more valuable than a CRT these days).

post #6 of 8 Old 04-08-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey I figured out my service menu access with a little modification to a found method. Turns out I was in the SM but didn't have the proper procedure to access the sub-menus; the CAT in InterCAT stands for Computer-Aided Test menu (my set doesn't do the red CHK SM thing). Now if I can figure out the less obvious symbols before I touch anything.

Check out this site if you haven't already, maybe there's something in there about your line issue:

http://www.riddledtv.com/forums/panasonic-service-menu-codes-plasma-lcd-crt-rptv-t287.html

Funny that stuff didn't pop up when I did a general web search on my subject, that link was provided to me by HeavySet on another AVS thread (many thanks!).

BTW I get a kick out of your ID/avatar having done my share of mechanics. biggrin.gif

post #7 of 8 Old 04-08-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link Floydage.

I can add a picture of the 3/4" open ended flange wrench I snapped in half yesterday trying to get the steering gear out of my "parts" Cherokee to replace the leaker in the good one.

I usually try to stay away from any tools that even smell like they could say "made in China", and I was once again reminded why. Curse you and your attractive discount prices, Harbor Freight!!!
post #8 of 8 Old 04-08-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah Harbor Freight stuff wouldn't have stood a chance when I had to break loose some coastal rusty u-bolt nuts holding on the rear axle assy of an old pick-up I once owned. Had to soak 'em with Liquid Wrench for two weeks first. Had to go buy a Thorsen 1-1/8 inch socket as I didn't work on railroad eqpt (lol) and use a breaker bar with a long piece of pipe around it to break 'em loose.

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page