sony kv-40xbr700 service menu? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-15-2013, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. After listening to some people on another thread about my tv probably having a convergence issue, i would like to get into the service menu to adjust it . Hopefully i can fix my picture issue biggrin.gif. If anyone has any idea of how to get into the service menu i would greatly appreciate your help! or even a place to go to figure it out (without spending money wink.gif. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-16-2013, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I tend to doubt this is caused by something that you could fix in the service menu, but if you want to try, first power off your TV using remote, then Press Display + 5 + Vol Up + Power button simultaneously on remote. To save the changes, just press Mute + 0.

WRITE DOWN ALL MENU SETTINGS AS THEY ORIGINALLY ARE ON YOUR SCREEN BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES. Or take a photo of every menu setting with a camera if this is easier. YOUR SCREEN'S SERVICE MENU SETTINGS ARE UNIQUE TO YOUR SCREEN. If you screw things up by taking one too many settings too far, you will not be able to get back to your starting point without your own starting point as reference. Nobody here or anywhere else will be able to tell you what your factory original settings are, so do this before making ANY change. It's important.

Anyway, I think it is likely that there may be a failing part on your television's board. If I were in your shoes I would open up the back of the TV, pull the board up to service mode if you need to get a better look around, and try to go over everything with a flashlight. If you see any bulging capacitors that is a sure sign that they need replacing. Although capacitors do not need to be bulged in order to be bad, but you still might spot a problem. Other issues like bad chips, power regulators, etc., if you see anything that looks amiss, browned/burned parts. It might be worth looking for a local TV repair shop. They still exist, and if they have been in business for more than five years then you can bet that they have worked on CRTs there before. It doesn't hurt to ask.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-16-2013, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for that awesome reply! i really appreciate it, its nice to get a little insight on technical things:). have a look at my previous thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464395/sony-kv-40xbr700-picture-help it will show the pictures of what someone had informed me may be a convergence issue. let me know what you think.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-16-2013, 02:31 PM

Yes, I didn't mention it but I saw your thread before this one. I have the KV-40XBR800, same television as yours in all specs but it has DVI(HDCP). I haven't had this problem, and I haven't seen it elsewhere, either. Usually convergence takes on some very specific problems, and a lit trailing image isn't one that I've ever seen before. Because it seems to trail off to the right, horizontally, something makes me think that the electron gun might be getting too much juice, symptomatic of a power regulator fault. Maybe someone attempted to rejuvenate the tube after it had become dim, and amped it up too high. These are only guesses on my part, but I do think from looking at it that a physical fix is more likely than a menu setting alteration. Definitely, pick up your phone, look on craigslist, google, or pick up the yellow pages and call around to find a television repair shop. Somebody must be close who has some kind of experience, tools, and access to service manuals and schematics for this television. I've got the manual for the KV-40XBR800 that I found googling around years ago in fact, you just need someone who can root through it and identify the cause of your problem.

Edit: This is the sort of thing I'm talking about, and the reason I suspect something similar may be at fault here.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-05-2013, 02:32 PM

I have come back to this thread in light of some information I've come into recently.

The symptom that you seem to be seeing appears routinely when the electron guns in one or more colours are deteriorated and wearing out from age, use, or abuse. (Or all three.) Sometimes the electron gun in question can be given a new lease on life, or at least somewhat of an extension, by way of a CRT rejuvenator, but the equipment to do this, as well as the expertise and the art of rejuvenation, is not so well known, especially in today's world. Sometimes a tube can be worn out completely just by attempting the fix, and in other cases it may last for many years yet, nobody knows enough to say as each case is unique. Unfortunately, it is probably time for you to look for another display, but probably for the best to do so in the long run as well.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page