Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-18-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone.

I'm a retro gamer, and recently picked up a 27 inch Sony Trinitron KV-27FV17 to play my old game systems on. Something I noticed on this set is that it seems like the screen is being pulled upwards towards the top-center. It's most noticeable at the top and bottom of the screen. See the photo below for an example of this...

If you look at the border around the screen, you can see what I'm talking about. I know this may be picky, but knowing that I have access to the service menu and options that could possibly correct this, I would fix it if I knew how. I'm not too great at understanding what the many service menu geometry options mean, but was hoping maybe someone here who knows could suggest, based on the photo, which adjustments may help fix this.

Thanks!

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-18-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieORF View Post

Hi everyone.

I'm a retro gamer, and recently picked up a 27 inch Sony Trinitron KV-27FV17 to play my old game systems on. Something I noticed on this set is that it seems like the screen is being pulled upwards towards the top-center. It's most noticeable at the top and bottom of the screen. See the photo below for an example of this...

If you look at the border around the screen, you can see what I'm talking about. I know this may be picky, but knowing that I have access to the service menu and options that could possibly correct this, I would fix it if I knew how. I'm not too great at understanding what the many service menu geometry options mean, but was hoping maybe someone here who knows could suggest, based on the photo, which adjustments may help fix this.

Thanks!

Paul

You would need to enter the service mode to center the image. There are a bunch of threads that explain how to get in, the dangers of being there and some of the things to change. Not all sets are the same and a google search for the Service manual for you set would be a start as that will have the info you need in it.
Good luck
post #3 of 5 Old 04-18-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I already have the service manual and have gone into the service menu to scope things out. I just don't know if there are any settings that specifically could be used to correct what you see in the photo. You think something in the realm of centering the image would help with this?

Thanks.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-18-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Looks like there's some (negative) horizontal pincushion , and some (asymmetrical, more on the bottom than the top) upward vertical bowing.

The pincushion distortion should be easy to adjust out. The bowing will be more difficult

If you really want to be dissatisfied and see how much geometric distortion (and maybe convergence errors) there is (or to make the proper adjustments), display a grid test pattern (of squares and circles)(e.g. Video Essentials DVD or a PC running the Nokia or Eizo monitor test-programs).

Regards
post #5 of 5 Old 04-22-2013, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_z View Post

Looks like there's some (negative) horizontal pincushion , and some (asymmetrical, more on the bottom than the top) upward vertical bowing.

The pincushion distortion should be easy to adjust out. The bowing will be more difficult

If you really want to be dissatisfied and see how much geometric distortion (and maybe convergence errors) there is (or to make the proper adjustments), display a grid test pattern (of squares and circles)(e.g. Video Essentials DVD or a PC running the Nokia or Eizo monitor test-programs).

Regards

Thanks for your input. I loaded up a grid screen and played for quite some time with the adjustments you mentioned, and I'm starting to think that this set it just stuck like this. No single adjustment or combination of adjustments is doing anything to even remotely correct the issues here. Since it was only a $10 pick up at Goodwill, I'm willing to part with it. It's too bad, these things are hard to come by and are sort of the holy grail of retro gaming TVs.

Thanks again/
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page