Sony PVM 14m4e - VGA to RGB? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-27-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The topic pretty much says it all. This CRT is seeing little use, and I'd like to actually put it to use. I was considering a fw900 but I can't afford the shipping(I live in norway!). Anyways, for those of you who aren't familiar with this model, here's it's connectors: http://www.nibroadcast.co.uk/images/uploads/1_truc_mon/14m_2d.jpg I'd like to use the one saying "RGB/COMPONENT" But I'm not sure as to which VGA-RGB cable I should buy. On my scart-RGB cable which I use I use the Red, Green, Blue and Ext.Sync, and that's why i'm so unsure of what to buy. Most connectors on ebay sell with either just RGB, or the sell with RGB + Horizontal sync + Vertical sync. So, which one do I choose? Do I need a RGB+Ext sync or is RGB/RGBHV ok for this task?

Off topic: For those who might be wondering why I want to use this monitor for my computer; Whilst on the computer I only have a terminal open, and i'd like to switch between my consoles(ps1 and some sega consoles) for when the picture quality really matters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-28-2013, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The specs say that it can use Sync on Green (a Sony favourite for some reason) or external sync, and the external sync is right there off to the right to use. Whichever of those two you use, the sync involved needs to be composite, so you will likely need to combine H and V to use it properly. If you want to try it out first, just connect H sync to the external sync line and see what happens. If you have a stable picture you're done, otherwise you need to combine H+V.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-25-2013, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered this one: http://www.nexxia.co.uk/product.asp?s=Audio%20Video%20Cables&c=VGA%20Cables&product_code=NX-VGA-562 . So far ive had no luck, any idea on how I should connect it?
Also, you said that if it didn work i need to combine h and v sync, how do i do that?
post #4 of 4 Old 06-26-2013, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Looks like you are either going to need to build a circuit here no matter which way you go. Choose:

1. Sync-on-green
2. Composite

There are boxes you can buy that will do these things for you, but they can either be obscure, hard to get ahold of, expensive, or all of the above. If you do some research into Extron units you might find something used at ebay or wherever, that will suit the task well. (for a decent price)
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page