Picture quality - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-06-2013, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is better for composite cables copper or gold platted and does the lengh affect the picture quality
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-06-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Gold plated are typically better and most likely are plated over copper wire. I think length has to get ridiculous like 100' to be an issue (digital signal carrying cables like HDMI are more length limited). I think composite is one of the least sensitive since all video information is encoded on one channel. Just don't use audio cables unless they are 75 ohm, in which case they're interchangeable (low-end or 'basic' audio cables tend to be high impedance); i.e. some high-end audio cables are better than basic video cables for audio or video.

post #3 of 4 Old 06-06-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Gold plated are not necessarily better. It is not gold and is simply a gold colored metal plated over the tin connectors to reduce corrosion. It does nothing to improve video or audio quality.

Only video (composite or component) connectors need to be 75 Ohm. It doesn't matter with audio interconnects :rolleyes
post #4 of 4 Old 06-07-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Gold plated are not necessarily better. It is not gold and is simply a gold colored metal plated over the tin connectors to reduce corrosion. It does nothing to improve video or audio quality.

Only video (composite or component) connectors need to be 75 Ohm. It doesn't matter with audio interconnects :rolleyes

Oh hogwash, that would be false advertising if it were marketed as gold. Monster, Belden, and the like certainly wouldn't take that chance, only some knock-off joints. And the video or audio quality will degrade if the connection incurs corrosion which is prevented with gold plating; but keep in mind the OP asked which was "better", not which gave better PQ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_plating

I didn't say audio cables need to be 75 ohm. Re-read it.

What's with you anyway? I saw you do the same thing with LiquidSnake on another thread like you're the almighty know-it-all, and I think I've seen it before elsewhere (but tried to ignore it). Hence the name Ratman by any chance? rolleyes.gif

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page