Unstable/Jumping picture on white or bright scenes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 06-07-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have 480i CRT that I use for watching legacy VHS recordings of rock concerts not available on a better format.

Recently the picture started to be very unstable on certain white / or just bright scenes. It starts with vertical lines starting to break-up near the top of the screen and goes all the way to the picture starting to jump, This break-up only happens when using the composite or RF inputs. It does not matter if I use one of my SVHS VCRs or one of my DVD recorders. Hooking the same SVHS VCRs or DVD recorders with S-Video or the DVD recorders with component the picture will never break up so I can eliminate the external gear being at fault.

I went to the service-menu and adjusted everything using the AVIA calibration disc. All geometry, convergence and grey scale patterns are adjusted and look good via S-Video or Component hook up but break up with composite or RF inputs.

I suspect the TV ‘comb filter’ since a separated input looks normal. But could this be a different problem that will eventually lead to S-Video and component suffering the problem?
Please don’t tell me to grab another TV off of craiglist or stop using composite – I want to know what may be causing this problem.

Info on TV
Make: Toshiba
Model: 32A36C
Chassis: M3N528

CRT
4:3 ratio
32-inch
480i

Inputs:
Component
S-Video
Composite