wisdom please! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 41 Old 07-15-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Nothing got knocked loose or moved. They never recalibrated after the repair. That simple....
Have fun. tongue.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 07-16-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
thanks ..it sounds like you are convinced.. do you think if i accessed the service menu and reset everything to factory settings ...it would improve things? or it possibly would make things worse? since the size is so large i really cant see where to go in the service menu.... its a real mess! any additional ideas would be greatly appreciated... its not the hunt for a new crt thats difficult its draggin the monster home is the trick!
post #33 of 41 Old 07-16-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Yes, I'm convinced. Are you?

If you access the service menu and reset to factory settings (if you can find/see where to reset), there are two possible results:
1) make things easier for you to recalibrate
2) make things worse

Have the repair shop fix what should have been done in the first place.
post #34 of 41 Old 07-16-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 242
•How to reset a Sony® television to the original factory settings http://esupport.sony.com/LA/p/model-home.pl?mdl=KV34DRC510&template_id=1&region_id=2&tab=tutorials#/tutorialsTab

Downloadable FREE demo discs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #35 of 41 Old 07-16-2013, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This whole "we'll come out next Sunday" business is a load of BS, bring the TV to them. Call a friend to help you pick it up. Take it there. Bring it in their shop. Make a scene. Yell. Courteously, I don't know how Mexican police can be but hopefully it's a busy, populated area. If they won't give you satisfaction of a properly working television demand a refund. Surely there must be something like a Better Business Bureau de Mexico. You don't have to be violent, just make clear that you want them to provide what you paid for, even if you're willing to accept that "it wasn't like this when it left the shop," offer to pay for that "repair," this is pretty much your only hope of getting this TV fixed and fixed properly.

You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you really can't manage to move the TV into your car and back into their shop, you are just as screwed as if you cannot get a new TV into your car and back into your home.

Somehow, I definitely think that one of those two is a better option for you, however.
post #36 of 41 Old 07-16-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I'd contact Sony Mexico, if that don't work then Sony Latin America, and finally Sony International. A Sony authorized service center isn't going to want a bad rap from any of them.

post #37 of 41 Old 07-16-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

thanks guys , you guys make me feel a little better! its so bad its even making you guys mad! the last time i went by the sony shop the service writer girl said the tech will come to youre house on sunday..we dont want you to bring the t.v. here! and i think theres a good chance if i raise cain. and leave the monster with them they will call in acouple of days and say ... sir youre t-v needs part number xxxxxxxx and we cant get that part from sony so sorry but your f................d . i wonder what the odds are if i follow the reset procedure it will make things better or worse. i understand this isnt one of those gamblin sites . but it would be nice to know! if there is a sony tech thinking about coming down to cancun. wow what a great inexpensive time i could show you, for a little of youre expertise! ive been living here for about 10 years now .and know my way around quite well! sorry for that pitch but im desperate! i will also write a nice letter to sony mexico detailing how much i love this t.v. and how much more i would love it if it were correctly repaired! thanks again to everyone for the wisdom !
post #38 of 41 Old 07-28-2013, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

ok its been about 2 months since i started my epic ZOOM problem ..........heres an update .didnt get ANY satisfaction from sony! found a local young electronics wizard and he agreed to help me with my tv...which to him is just a collection of circuits! he promptly came to my house and laughed at the sony tech and said .sony screwed you . you are a real dweeb for not checking youre tv properly before you took it home from the sony shop! the t.v. obviously has a faulty component in the pincushion circuit.. and this is not caused by any impact or anything like that .... THE SONY SHOP HERE IN CANCUN IS A HOUSE OF BANDITS AND THIEVES! also they are not very competent when it comes to a television repair!my new buddy began systematically checking the circuits to find the problem, found the deflection yoke resistance out of parameters amd removed the yoke assembly for further inspection. yoke itself tested well so ,transistor for transistor ,condenser for condenser he, promised,whith impressive conviction, that he could and would repair this fabulous tv, and didnt seem to be overly concerned or confused with what appears to be a tricky and complicated circuit........bravo,, i will let you know how it goes!
post #39 of 41 Old 07-29-2013, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well at least you have some relief. I only hope that by the time it is back in your hands and working that it does not cost as much as another CRT.
post #40 of 41 Old 07-30-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
It may already have [cost] since he paid the Sony shop who knows what. I would go up the ladder of Sony Corporate to get a refund.

post #41 of 41 Old 07-30-2013, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

well you are kind of right! i paid the sony shop almost 200 bucks .i already paid to much! but i am happy to report after many hours and meticulous inspection and testing and studying of the circuits .he replaced a transistor or two and re-balled some cold joints......and KA-pow normal sized image finally appears!!!there is light at the end of the tunnel.after getting the size situation fixed there is a small series of lines on top of the image ...and he assures me it is another component failure ...which he is equally sure he will track down and fix.............. after that i will give him another 20 bucks to sit with me a couple of hours and do the step by step by the book post repair calibration!! funny thing happened today ...helped a friend move and she said i could have the Sony kdl40xbr1 flat screen she has in the spare bedroom! what do you guys think about this t.v,? my tv guy said he was sure it would be ready this saturday ...cross youre collective fingers...that another fine piece of A/V history was snatched/hauled/dragged back to service!....more to come
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page