looking for an unbiased opinion, is a Kd-34xbr960 for under $200 worth buying? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-07-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this section has a few CRT fanboys but i am looking for a unbiased opinion on if the Kd-34xbr960 tv will suit my needs. I am currently using a 32" 720p Samsung 60 hertz LCD, I am looking for a 1080P or 1080i tv with faster response time for console gaming and i want to know if i should buy this or buy a new LCD? My max Budget is $350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-07-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
No idea on response time. I have calibrated one for a customer and it is does produce a very nice picture. I personally would not pay for a CRT. If I was so inclined and just had to have one of these 200lb+ beasts, no more than $100 in my book, but every market is different.
BTW they are are 1080 interlaced max and do not accept a progressive signal.
You will need at least 2 very strong people to move one of these and if steps are involved better have extra help..
post #3 of 17 Old 07-07-2013, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
There are plenty of CRT HDTVs that accept a 1080p signal, those which do this just have to convert it to something else in order to display it.
post #4 of 17 Old 07-08-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Just answering the question about the xbr I had worked on. Maybe it will accept it and convert it to 1080i but I don't know that for sure as I used 1080i to calibrate it since that is what the choices are in the service menu.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-08-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

There are plenty of CRT HDTVs that accept a 1080p signal, those which do this just have to convert it to something else in order to display it.

Interesting, I did not know there were any, sure would be a nice feature. I don't think this model (or even most if not all of the Sony CRTs) could do it nor any of my HD CRTs. Maybe it was a feature that was added when 1080p became prevalent and near the end of the CRT models?

post #6 of 17 Old 07-08-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

I found out the Tv is a KD-34XS955 not a Kd-34xbr960, does that change anything? I am looking for some input on how the the picture quality for gaming is compared to your basic 1080p led 120hrts lcd tv i can get for $359? At my budget i can't afford anything bigger than the Sony so i am comparing models with the same screen size. I am thinking if i can get the sony for $100 i could use that for a year or two until i can afford a large LCD with good response time needed for gaming. I also wanted to know how the sound is on the sony? the speakers are pretty big so i would assume they are better than what you would find in a LCD?
post #7 of 17 Old 07-08-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks to be very similar and just the precursor model although 'I think' an XBR is supposed to be somehow better than an XS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinitron/WEGA

You might compare the reviews/specs doing model number searches.

Hopefully a gamer will step in and give you some gaming-related insight. There's also the issue between 1080i and 1080p native display capability between those CRTs and LCDs, resp. But I've heard the gamers love the CRTs - low input lag and great PQ (color saturation, blacks, contrast, etc.). And those particular Sonys have the Super Fine Pitch (SFP) picture tube for better horizontal resolution than most other TVs.

I've never heard the Sony audio but I suspect it will kick the pants off a flat panel as it's impossible to get any decent acoustics with that thin of a cabinet. My Panny 34" HD CRT kicks butt in the sound department with 5 speakers and acoustical waveguides built into the cabinet plus surround porting out the sides. cool.gif

post #8 of 17 Old 07-11-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
it's worth 50 bucks, for sure....but it may be worth 100 for a gamer.

It's the same tube as the 34xbr960, and basically the same pic quality with a few minor exceptions...such as 480i scaling and the digital 3d comb filter (which isn't used for HD signals anyhow).

No crt's accept 1080p....at least, no consumer grade tv's did. Computer monitors can likely do it though...but who freaking cares about 1080p? This is without a doubt the single most overhyped aspect of picture quality. You don't need that much detail on a 34" crt...1080i is perfectly fine.

1080i will look rock solid awesome on one of these tubes...especially from video games.

Buyer beware...the previous owner may have been running it on vivid mode for the last 10 years. This would not be good.

Also, sound quality is good.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-11-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of gaming, might find this post useful (post #2960), it just showed up the other day:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/531494/the-sony-service-codes-articles-comments-discoveries/2940#post_23511564

post #10 of 17 Old 07-11-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benareeno View Post

No crt's accept 1080p....at least, no consumer grade tv's did. Computer monitors can likely do it though...but who freaking cares about 1080p? This is without a doubt the single most overhyped aspect of picture quality. You don't need that much detail on a 34" crt...1080i is perfectly fine.

I keep coming across this here, and it isn't true. I have two LG CRTs that accept 1080p, and I'm fairly sure a Samsung I have does this also. It is true that the consumer CRT has a physically resolvable limit to its image, and for HDTV that is made to work with 540 lines interlaced, however this is not a limiting factor to what the unit can accept. All it needs is a processor capable of accepting 1080p and converting it to an easily displayable resolution, ordinarily this would be 1080i. Which is mostly used just because CRTs always worked excellently when interlacing. At any rate, the tubes I mention do take 1080p, I would not be surprised to learn of other models. It's just a lot easier to work with a monitor, but broadcasting standards are more stringent, factor in overscan as a part of your broadcast and there is not as much leeway to work with your images as you may please.
post #11 of 17 Old 07-12-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

it is indeed totally irrelevant if a crt accepts 1080p...but I'm curious as to which models do this...can I have a model number please?
post #12 of 17 Old 07-12-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I also think many folks get confused over accepting 1080p vs. actually being able to natively display it. I wouldn't think the detail was any different between the two but 1080p would be better for motion handling, etc.; I can't stand interline twitter. And the 955 and 960 have the bonus SFP picture tube for higher horizontal resolution which therefore results in higher detail (well I guess perceived detail since the source is still 1080).

post #13 of 17 Old 07-14-2013, 09:34 PM

Well, looks like I misremembered. I have both the "slim" LG 30FS4D and the non slim 30FZ4D; the input panel shows it accepts 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. I do remember a lot of older HDTVs (CRT and otherwise) could not draw a signal from 720p sources, probably because many of them actually predated 720p as a broadcast standard, and the AV crowd started to gear toward it rather than 1080i. So there was a lot of "no CRT can do 720p" before 1080p became the next big thing, looks like that was why it stuck in my brain whern I got these sets that can do it, sorry about the confusion. I would still think I probably have a few broadcast monitors that can resolve a 1080p feed, with a little trickery and a hell of a manual tweak for screen area as they are only 4:3, but that's not common use even for those screens.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-15-2013, 09:00 AM

My KD-34xbr960 succumbed to the "blinking lights of death" error recently (it tries to power up but then powers back down immediately). I found and tried the blow-dryer trick, which brought it back to life for about a week until I had to do it again. And then again a few days later. I'm not a fan of starting my television with a hair dryer, I don't want to leave it on all the time, and I'm not good with DIY soldering projects involving risk of electrocution, so a few weeks ago I decided to put this set out to pasture. I listed it as broken and described the problem in detail on craigslist, and put it up for $65. Perhaps unsurprisingly, there were no takers. I changed the price to FREE and re-listed it in the free section of Craiglist. It's been two weeks and there are still no takers. I'd really rather not have to pay a junk removal company. I figured I'd try one last ditch effort to post here to see if anyone here lives in South Florida and wants a free set. (You pickup). I live in Greenacres (33467). If so, just let me know. It's my understanding that if you have the ability to fix it, the parts likely cost only about $20.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-15-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

Well, looks like I misremembered. I have both the "slim" LG 30FS4D and the non slim 30FZ4D; the input panel shows it accepts 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. I do remember a lot of older HDTVs (CRT and otherwise) could not draw a signal from 720p sources, probably because many of them actually predated 720p as a broadcast standard, and the AV crowd started to gear toward it rather than 1080i. So there was a lot of "no CRT can do 720p" before 1080p became the next big thing, looks like that was why it stuck in my brain whern I got these sets that can do it, sorry about the confusion. I would still think I probably have a few broadcast monitors that can resolve a 1080p feed, with a little trickery and a hell of a manual tweak for screen area as they are only 4:3, but that's not common use even for those screens.

Yeah that makes sense. My Panny can't accept 720p but I believe this Sony 960 (thread title) and probably 955 can accept it; my Panny is older so I don't know if the Pannys closer vintage to a 960 can do it. I certainly wish mine could do it as that would give me a progressive scan option with higher def than 480p (seems like stations like FOX here broadcasting in 720p would perform better on sports - football grid-line interline twitter drives me nuts).

The lack of 1080p acceptance is no biggie to me as my other devices convert it for me anyway.

Edit: My Panny can't accept NOR natively display 720p. Can the Sonys natively display 720p?

post #16 of 17 Old 07-15-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

that's what I figured...there were no crt tv's that accepted 1080p.
post #17 of 17 Old 07-15-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Hard to even give away a heavy broken CRT in this day&age. This is just one of the many offshoot threads created - I suggest reposting under the main 960 thread and maybe others. As far as local you might target the gamers. I don't know if there's a game section but there's electronics, etc. Also keep in mind that CL posts get buried quickly, especially in the free section, so have to repost daily or more depending on the section. I found a like-new DVDR cheap in the electronics section using a keyword search that I though for sure would be gone by the time I discovered it a week after the post date, but it had gotten buried quickly to become my golden needle in the haystack.
danterner likes this.

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page