Hooking up Blu-Ray player to a Sony KD34XS955 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-20-2013, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I just bought a blu-ray player(well free with credit card points). Its an LG BP530. TV is a Sony KD34XS955, one of the last CRT tubes you could buy, its widescreen, 1080i high def, and weighs A TON, bought it back in 2004 I think. I really don't want to junk it, as it still works beautifully, heck the picture in standard def is better than any flat panel LCD I've seen, its brilliant in high def as well.

TV has an HDMI port, so I hook her up. I get the LG logo when the player fires up, but then nothing for picture/sound after a couple of seconds. The display on the front of the player changes when I push remote buttons, so I'm sure its working. I inserted an audio CD and it started a timer counting and the track displayed, so I'm sure the unit is working.

Any ideas on what's going on??? I've heard on old sets like mine the HDMI ports were kind of in beta testing. I looked for software updates on the internet, nothing on Sony's site, couldn't find jack anywhere else either. I played around with the menu on the TV trying to find the software verison, couldn't find anything. Manual says nothing about updating software.

The blu-ray player has the HDMI out and a single "coaxial out". Its not like that screw on thing you get from your cable line, it looks just like a standard audio/video output that's on the back of any equipment made since the 60's, its just that its one port. My TV has the usual DVD player/x-box hookups with Red, Blue, Green vid/Red and White audio. Is this the same thing, and I just need a special cable that has 5 inputs on one end and one on the other?

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-20-2013, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You have to change the blu-ray player's output to 1080i. I have a Sony BDP-S390 blu-ray player connected with HDMI to my old Sony KD-34XBR370 CRT that we have in our bedroom and it looks quite decent, but pales in comparison to my 1080p plasma. If I remember correctly your 34XS955 has the SFP tube and should look a little better than my 34XBR370 (from less than 5 feet away, anyway).
post #3 of 15 Old 07-20-2013, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Get an rca cable and hook up the player with that yellow composite connection so you can go into the settings menu and change the resolution to 1080i. Then switch back to the HDMI input and see if you are not good to go. Yellow cable is the same cable used for analog audio, nothing special about it and does not have to be yellow in color.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old 07-20-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Get an rca cable and hook up the player with that yellow composite connection so you can go into the settings menu and change the resolution to 1080i. .

That could work if the Bluray player had a composite video output. Unfortunately it only has HDMI from what I can see. wink.gif

I'd suggest either taking it to the store or perhaps to a friend/neighbor's home to verify the video output settings.

If the player's video output settings default to "auto adjust", 1080p or 480i, your TV will not sync with the video signal with your TV.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-20-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hopefully the LG has a VIDEO FORMAT (output resolution) button on the remote (or front panel but doubtful) like my Sony BP, then you can just push it until you get an image and the desired resolution.

post #6 of 15 Old 07-20-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Nope...
The manual for the bluray player is here ((as opposed to guessing) tongue.gif

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-BP530#
post #7 of 15 Old 07-20-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry I didn't spend my time searching, downloading, and pouring through the manual. Sheesh.

post #8 of 15 Old 07-20-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah... two to five minutes takes a lot out of your busy Saturday. Sheesh....
If it makes you feel better, post #3 made assumptions that won't help the OP also. biggrin.gif
post #9 of 15 Old 07-21-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh c'mon. I guess the "Ratman" stands for trying to rat people out for nonsense. SOS with you as usual trying to make folks look bad, dumb, wrong, etc. tongue.gif

post #10 of 15 Old 07-21-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I guess Floydage stands for "Doobage". That accounts for the nonsense and the SOS. biggrin.gif
post #11 of 15 Old 07-22-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm almost certain you've rattled more cages here than I have; I prefer making friends over making enemies via my replies...

post #12 of 15 Old 07-23-2013, 05:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

rolleyes.gif
Are you going to post something helpful/useful to contribute to the thread? If not, move on and stop busting my chops.
If you don't care for my responses, block my posts.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-23-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey you're the one who instigated it. All you had to do was post your result without any snide comments but...

post #14 of 15 Old 07-23-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Everything after post #6 is a snide remark from you towards me. If you (or anoyone else) are wrong, you are wrong. I willl make the points/comments. Move on and stop taking everything personally. Use that "block member" button.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-23-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

What did you expect in regards to post #6? Of course it goes back further than this and hence your post #6. And you're never wrong. Remember I wasn't wrong above, I just said "Hopefully." Now why would I block you and miss out on a reply like this #6?! Although tempting I have been passing by replying to any of your other posts that aren't directed at me. Nothing personal as I don't know you, it's just the written word.

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page