Is it possible to get a KV-34XBR910 to display 1080i at a higher refresh rate than 30Hz on a computer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-08-2013, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone!

I have tried to find a way to complete a feat like this for a while, but it seems like I have to know what timings to adjust and things of that nature in order to even attempt something like this. I do not know how to work with those things and I have not found a guide to explain the significance of each timing, just people posting timings of different resolutions and such.

I am just experimenting with my TV and am looking to achieve a refresh rate over 30Hz at 1080i. I would like to hit something like 40+Hz, and then try for a max of 60Hz. I use the TV for gaming only, and love gaming with monitors that display really high refresh rates. The TV is great as it is, but I am willing to push it a bit since I got it for free off of CL - so there is very little for me to lose if something really bad happened to the TV if I pushed it too far. Also, since this TV uses a DVI connection, would I need a dual-link DVI cable to send signals of 1080i@30+Hz?

You are welcome to post timings that I can just try out or show me a guide on how to work with timings. Thank you for reading; I look forward to the community's feedback! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-08-2013, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You are already achieving a refresh rate of greater than 30Hz. If your computer's control panel only shows "30Hz," it is telling you the refresh rate in terms of frames. It is impossible to change this on the display you are using at that resolution. When using 1080i, you are interlacing frames, which results in fields. The very 30Hz frames you are seeing are being drawn at 60Hz in the form of fields. In the computer gamer's ideal world this means you are losing some information; this perspective does not take into account the purpose of interlacing, however, which is to provide smoother animation effect from trickery of persistence of vision, while eliminating half the bandwidth required to achieve the effect. If you really want "60Hz" in terms of proper, full-frame animation, you cannot achieve it with 1080i.

It gets trickier when attempting to compare with 720p on a CRT. Ordinarily, you might be surprised to find a nicer effect of animation and higher detail with the full-frame animation of 720p running at 60fps--and at 60Hz. But as consumer CRT HDTVs are always interlacing at "HD resolutions," i.e. both 1080i and 720p, with 720p undergoing some processing to convert to a displayable mode (which is almost always interlaced--1080i again, or possibly 540p), you might not see a drastic difference between these two modes on a CRT HDTV. Only 480p will be absolutely progressive on these kinds of sets without question. But there is still no reason not to eyeball it and see if you prefer one mode to the other. If you find one "HD" mode preferable to the other then it is probably because it is better suited to that particular display.
CRockT likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-10-2013, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the info, LiquidSnake! So if I am understanding this correctly, the TV displays 60 half-frames per second, but the PC only counts refresh rates in full frames, correct? I guess I get where the computer is coming from, but with that being said, is their a possible way for me to push the TV to have it display more than 60 interlaced frames per second at 1080i?

I was also not aware about 480p being truly progressive; I figured everything was just converted up to 1080i in the TV. Thank you for informing me about this! I will have to try out both resolutions when I get the chance and go from there. I might experiment with trying to get a really high refresh rate with 480p since interlaced resolutions seem to make things complicated when it comes to refresh rates. Thanks again for the help!
post #4 of 8 Old 08-10-2013, 08:25 PM

Liked: 12
Consumer level CRTs both SD and HD in the USA only support 60Hz input signals. You won't be able to "push" anything higher. If it were a true multisync monitor such as a CRT computer monitor you'd have multiple refresh rates to choose from. This is not the case with consumer level tvs as they were designed to be lower cost compared to say a multisync presentation monitor.
CRockT likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-11-2013, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What he said. You might have some possibility of a kind of 540p with either certain sets or with certain outputs, but don't count on it. It's not a standard at any rate, these television must conform to broadcast standards first and foremost.

But really, what I was suggesting was that you at least try all resolutions just to see which looks best for your use. No matter the specs or resolution, interlaced or progressive, if you see better results with a certain mode it is hard to argue with your eyeballs.
CRockT likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-12-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the input, guys. I guess since that pretty much settles it, I will move on to seeing what resolution works best for me; and after that, I will get started on calibrating the TV. I am still real excited about getting this baby for free, so I am still going to be spending a lot of time with it. smile.gif
post #7 of 8 Old 08-12-2013, 03:15 PM

Liked: 36
CRockT -

what a score! The 910 is still a great CRT.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-28-2013, 10:45 AM

Liked: 11
-Could you post some nice picures of it, please? wink.gif -I'm sick of thousands posts like these - "Look at my 1,2,4,8 Grands TV picture defects wich driving me crazy!!! eek.gif" ... biggrin.gif -Missing Great "It's a SONY!" Times, not today's "make.believe" senseless crap... rolleyes.gif
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page