How long will my 27" Sony Trinitron CRT TV Last? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 08-10-2013, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have bought a 27" Sony Trinitron CRT TV for twenty dollars about a month ago. This TV is 13 years old. This TV has a excellent picture and sound quality. I play my Atari 2600 and NES on this TV. I also watch DVD's on this TV. I am 30 years old. I want to keep using this 27" Sony Trinitron CRT TV for classic video games until I die. Let's say in the next 1, 5, 10, 25, 50 years from now If my Sony Trinitron TV needs to be repaired or the picture tube needs to be rebuilt. Will there still be places in the world to repair or rebuild Sony Trinitron CRT TV's? I don't like new flat panel technologies to play my classic video game systems on. What is the life span of Sony Trinitron CRT TV's? In 50 years from now, will these TV's still be working? Or in the future, will Analog 4:3 Aspect Ratio CRT TV's come back into the production line for a very high expensive price for classic gaming use? smile.gif
I hope I never have to make a switch from CRT TV's to modern flat panel TV's for classic gaming. eek.gif

Thanks,

Chris biggrin.gif

I like CRT TV's and CRT Arcade Monitors the most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-28-2013, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I admire your dedication to the wonderful technology of CRT. I'm a long time user, and really feel privileged to own a few very nice trinitron monitors.

As far as I understand, CRTs have a finite lifespan, due to the finite supply of electrons in the cathode.

You'll be well served by watching these videos:

Here's part 1 (each part is about 2 hours)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsZ5PJB-w2s
post #3 of 17 Old 08-29-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Do you think your video game consoles will last till you die?
If you are concerned, watch your local craigs list, there are Sony CRTs for free almost every single day, get 2 more and put them in storage for backup. The problem is the part are not made to last forever, capacitors wear out , phosphorus gets consumed and you may find in the next few years of your life, this hobby will become much less important to you..
post #4 of 17 Old 08-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

as for rebuilding tubes, this may be one of the last places on the planet that does it:

http://www.wmicronics.com/index.html
post #5 of 17 Old 08-31-2013, 08:13 PM

Time, technology and tastes have moved on for the general public. You already know that no one is going to bring back CRT especially for a niche market such as ancient video games. You can still drive around in your neighborhood and find free working CRT tvs on the curb. Many have the remotes taped to them--a bonus because that always seems to mean the tv works. I see them all the time and don't bother with them unless I want to upgrade to a larger size. No one will buy them, thrift stores won't accept them, trash guys won't take them unless you pay extra, scrappers will cut the power cord off and leave a mess for the owner to clean up by busting the CRT to get the copper from the yoke. If you are in love with these old games, your best bet is to load up on the systems and the tvs that will play them...
post #6 of 17 Old 09-01-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Best Buy will accept up to 32" although I don't know where they stand on the widescreen tubes. Rules on the website appear to be strict like no consoles, complete units, etc. I rolled a pair of 31" SD's in on one of their carts and no one checked them out, documented, etc., just told me to "leave them over there." And one I had cannibalized the guts. Similar experience with some old CRT computer monitors. They must get mounds of CRTs - bringbackcrttv should get a part time job at his local store. wink.gif
Some cities have e-recycling too. Mine has no restrictions but I have to bring them to their drop-off center.

post #7 of 17 Old 09-02-2013, 07:59 PM

Hey Spacediver, I tried watching that video and it is private? I'm very curious about what you mean by a limited amount of electrons in the cathode? Thanks!
post #8 of 17 Old 09-02-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 312
I bought one of those new in 1994 great television I had mine for 17 yrs it worked fine when I gave it away.
you will probably have better luck finding a working used one in the future than finding a replacement CRT .
Those trinitron Tube replacements cost more than a new set when you could still get a tube I don't think consumer trinitrons were ever available as rebuilt.
Trinitrons and Wegas will probably be popping up on craigslist for the next 20 yrs they must have made millions of those sets
by then you will want OLED anyway. I don't think any consumer CRT are being rebuilt anymore mostly just specialized medical/military/industrial
and aviation parts and most of those are being replaced by panels now anyway

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #9 of 17 Old 09-03-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

More like the color phosphors degrade over time.

post #10 of 17 Old 09-03-2013, 12:27 PM

What I never really understood is that if the color phosphors degrade over time, why does a picture tube usually loose all raster, and not just in specific areas where the phosphors are degrading at different rates. They can't all degrade uniformly, can they?
post #11 of 17 Old 09-04-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV32S15 View Post

What I never really understood is that if the color phosphors degrade over time, why does a picture tube usually loose all raster, and not just in specific areas where the phosphors are degrading at different rates. They can't all degrade uniformly, can they?

I'm certainly no expert on this subject matter but I'm thinking:

1) A problem in the circuitry and/or color gun may make it appear to be a phosphor problem.

2) The phosphors may very well degrade uniformly. Each particular color set is made of the same material and deposited uniformly at the same time using the same process, and during use are scanned continuously; but one color set will degrade at a different rate than another color set.
KV32S15 likes this.

post #12 of 17 Old 09-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV32S15 View Post

Hey Spacediver, I tried watching that video and it is private? I'm very curious about what you mean by a limited amount of electrons in the cathode? Thanks!

unfortunately, randy fromm was recently upgraded to google plus and lost all his videos. I contacted him and he's working on getting them back online!

The cathode is the part of the electron gun that has a coating of a material, and when the cathode is heated, it releases electrons. But these electrons aren't recycled.
KV32S15 likes this.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

your question is answered here:

http://www.thegleam.com/ke5fx/crt/sencrt.pdf

in particular:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Fromm 
CUTOFF RELATED FAILURES

In order to understand the cutoff test, let's take a closer look at the way the cathode works. The cathode is the source of the electron beam. It is coated with a material (such as barium or thorium) which gives off large numbers of electrons when it is heated by a filament. Believe it or not. there is a finite amount of this electron emitting material and it gets used up or "stripped" after years of extended use. Once the barium is used up, the picture tube cannot be completely restored.
KV32S15 likes this.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-13-2013, 08:49 PM

Thanks Floydage and Spacediver for the reply. Makes much more sense now. smile.gif
post #15 of 17 Old 09-14-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

You're welcome. I wonder what the life span is of that cathode material? I'd never heard of that problem before but I'm no TV expert. I guess the generically-known problems seem to be circuitry and phosphor coating.

post #16 of 17 Old 01-11-2014, 02:23 PM

My Sony Trinitron 27" TV I bought from Lowes Hardware store in 1994 and it is still in mint condition - except for the speaker system which works OK and all but I think it sounds bad to me now because of my awesome sound system on my PC. I think this TV will last forever but if not forever at least another 10 years.:cool: 

post #17 of 17 Old 01-11-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 312
I had a 27" Trinitron for 17 yrs it was still working fine when I gave it away another Wega FD Trinitron made 11 yrs until a power surge took it out.
Pretty reliable sets all in all at least for me.

I have a Sammie Plasma and Toshina and LG LED/LCD's now all 2012-2013 models so time will tell on those.
I'm going to get another LED/LCD set next month maybe Sony,Toshiba, or Samsung. IMO they seem to have better pictures than most of the other brands
My Toshiba is much better than my LG IMO.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page