Sony kd-34xs955 Hue's in the corners - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
e5franson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I came across a kd-34xs955 for free, but it has some issues. In the top right corner is a big time red hue. In the top left it is blue. In the middle it is normal. I accessed the service menu but honestly I had no idea what I was looking for. On my Panasonic Tau CRT there was a setting called "Geomagnetic correction", which seems like it would fix it if I could find a similar setting on my Sony. Any ideas one what settings in service menu I can change? The discoloration is most prominent in the top right quadrant.
e5franson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
e5franson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It may be called beam landing? Not sure
e5franson is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
e5franson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now that I look at it, colors are just off. In the corners red is blue, green is red and so forth. I did find the landing settings but it did not seem to do much, or I just wasnt changing it correctly.
e5franson is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 08-21-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Floydage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by e5franson View Post

On my Panasonic Tau CRT there was a setting called "Geomagnetic correction", which seems like it would fix it if I could find a similar setting on my Sony.

I have the same problem with a corner on my Tau - that correction 'appears' to correct it while in the menu but it doesn't hold after exiting the menu (and when it exits it activates the degauss circuit). This menu is to adjust the tilt of the screen to offset geomagnetic position problems due to the earth's magnetic poles. If the problem with your Sony is position then it should correct itself after several power-on cycles if the degauss function is working properly on power-up. There could be a way to run the degauss manually if it's in the menu somehow like the Panny (always wait about 15 minutes between degauss cycles to let the circuit cool as it runs an extremely high amount of current).

Hopefully someone will pipe in on the service menu possibility of correcting the corners as I'd like to venture into my Panny's SM someday if there's such an adjustment (Moire menu adjustments helped my CRT computer monitor - ?). For now I placed some old picture tube magnets strategically around the outside of the cabinet corner, I suspect it would work better on the picture tube from the inside but I don't feel like opening the beast. NOTE: These magnets are extremely weak, weaker than those small circular fridge magnets, almost as if they're just pieces of ferrite with residual magnetism; small thin sheet fridge magnets may be OK...

Floydage is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 08-21-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
e5franson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

I have the same problem with a corner on my Tau - that correction 'appears' to correct it while in the menu but it doesn't hold after exiting the menu (and when it exits it activates the degauss circuit). This menu is to adjust the tilt of the screen to offset geomagnetic position problems due to the earth's magnetic poles. If the problem with your Sony is position then it should correct itself after several power-on cycles if the degauss function is working properly on power-up. There could be a way to run the degauss manually if it's in the menu somehow like the Panny (always wait about 15 minutes between degauss cycles to let the circuit cool as it runs an extremely high amount of current).

Hopefully someone will pipe in on the service menu possibility of correcting the corners as I'd like to venture into my Panny's SM someday if there's such an adjustment (Moire menu adjustments helped my CRT computer monitor - ?). For now I placed some old picture tube magnets strategically around the outside of the cabinet corner, I suspect it would work better on the picture tube from the inside but I don't feel like opening the beast. NOTE: These magnets are extremely weak, weaker than those small circular fridge magnets, almost as if they're just pieces of ferrite with residual magnetism; small thin sheet fridge magnets may be OK...

I can hear the degauss fire up when I turn on the tv, but it's not making much of a difference. I've probably turned it on and off 7-8 times since yesterday. I'm looking to by a degaussing coil off ebay but I'm not sure if that will really do anything. I did eventually find the "Landing" setting in the service menu but it did not make much of a difference,
e5franson is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 08-21-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Floydage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by e5franson View Post

I can hear the degauss fire up when I turn on the tv, but it's not making much of a difference. I've probably turned it on and off 7-8 times since yesterday. I'm looking to by a degaussing coil off ebay but I'm not sure if that will really do anything. I did eventually find the "Landing" setting in the service menu but it did not make much of a difference,

It's probably working then although on my Panny it doesn't fire every time if I turn on/off in too short of time (I suspect a safety circuit to allow it to cool). It may be like my Panny such that degauss doesn't solve your problem. My Panny case has a crack on that side so I'm suspicious that it was dropped and may have dislodged a CRT magnet or somesuch inside.
To check the degauss capability you could turn the beast 90 degrees and monitor to see if any new discoloration from the new position disappears after some degauss cycles.

Floydage is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 08-22-2013, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
e5franson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I flipped it on each side and turned it on. One direction causes it to be worse, the other direction it is the same. Hmmm
e5franson is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 08-22-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Floydage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by e5franson View Post

I flipped it on each side and turned it on. One direction causes it to be worse, the other direction it is the same. Hmmm

Well I hope you didn't actually flip it, what I meant was to move it in a circle about the floor, say on a stand on wheels. So say you circle it around 90 degrees - it probably will get worse. Then to test the degauss effectiveness - see if the new discoloration improves with degauss cycles while it's sitting in this new position.

Floydage is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 08-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Senior Member
 
LiquidSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
From your description the tube has to be magnetized somehow. This is typical in corners especially. Being close to walls with electrical lines, speakers, other appliances, all kinds of things can create a field which can magnetize the tube, sometimes over a long period of time. If I were in your shoes I would either acquire or make a degaussing coil to cure this. You might also try using the TV in another location, sometimes this alone can fix things. And deguassing, by simply turning off and on. The degauss coil in your TV is very weak, so while it can fix your problem, it might take many, many hits, hundreds maybe, and areas that are farther from the coil may be less affected--like the corners. This is why a handheld deguasser is so wonderful, you can solve the problem in a minute or two instead of cycling your power 100 times.
LiquidSnake is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 08-26-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
e5franson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ended up getting a GC 9317 coil off ebay for 30 bucks shipped. Hopefully this fixes the issues. Ill let you guys know in a few days.
e5franson is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 08-29-2013, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
e5franson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well no luck with the coil. It didnt make really any difference. Luckily ill probably be able to sell it for more than I paid (it was sold as "parts" since it wasnt tested, but worked perfectly). I did try something else that was suggested, which was to turn on the TV and spin it in one direction or another. I spun it 180 degrees and there was a noticeable improvement, but the colors are still a bit off. Not sure what else to try, I may just scrap it.
e5franson is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 08-29-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Floydage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Sorry to hear that. If it doesn't work itself out with a little more time you can always try my 'light' magnet trick (I first tested the theory with a shower curtain magnet from a distance, gradually getting closer - but realized it was too strong to attach to the TV).

Floydage is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 09-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Senior Member
 
LiquidSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I don't suppose you could post a photo of the problem?
LiquidSnake is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 09-03-2013, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
e5franson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ill see if I can find some smaller magnets to try that with. When I get home tonight i'll see if I can grab a good pic of it.
e5franson is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 09-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Member
 
fkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can a degauss coil modify geometry?, can a greenish spot on the tv, that's related to a magnetization, cover a larger area depending on the soucre or colors on the tv?. I'm asking this because I have a greenish tint spot and if I display high contrast images, the spot gets bigger.
fkie is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 09-05-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Floydage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkie View Post

Can a degauss coil modify geometry?, can a greenish spot on the tv, that's related to a magnetization, cover a larger area depending on the soucre or colors on the tv?. I'm asking this because I have a greenish tint spot and if I display high contrast images, the spot gets bigger.

1) No. Maybe if you left it on continuously by the tube but I don't think that's what you meant.
2) I'm thinking yes and no since I suspect it just appears to change size (i.e. it becomes more noticeable with certain colors).

Floydage is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 09-12-2013, 03:21 PM
Member
 
mrslig100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an improvised fix for monitors that might work
IF ITS A CRT YOU LOVE THE I ADVISE CAUTION!!!
If like me you had speakers near a CRT at some point then im sure you know that a good degauss will cancel out the distortion.
Get a magnet (not too strong) and hold it near the area affected area.
hold the magnet close enough to effect the broken area no more, no less, just enough to distort the affected area and make the color exactly twice as distorted as it was while you hold it there.
Degauss it and take the magnet away.
As the magnets now gone it and the current degauss has neutralized the magnet from the tube as its removed it anti-distorts the colour and do long as it hasn't effected the tube enough to make to much picture distortion the negative effect essentially fixes the picture to an extent.
However it varies from monitor to monitor...
mrslig100 is offline  
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off